Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RMR Advantages & Disadvantages

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by lawton86, Jan 11, 2011.

1. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

I think its case of personal insurance and loss of earnings through that means.

As of a certain point any injury occurring after that date was/is meant to be covered under the medical care of CTC for Rehab, etc. However, I haven't seen this put in to action as yet. Apparently, all you need is a chit - but it would appear they go missing :)

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    And what if you don't have personal insurance?
    If it's on RMR time and an RMR activity then that's the MODs problem not yours. Loss of earnings and injury should be covered by the MOD.

Now will the MOD get into the blame culture and reuse to pay out or wrongly try and put the fault on the lad?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The difficulty in giving a general answer may be simply because each individual case must be assessed on its own individual merits. Which is fair enough. But it would be helpful to know what the general policy is regarding support and rehabilitation for injuries sustained in Reserve Forces' duty.

Although government agencies are not always comparable my experience with the NHS has underscored a widely acknowleged and publicised notion that it can become very defensive when failures of treatment and duty of care are alleged.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

All Reservists, whilst in official training, exercises or deployments are treated by the Defence Medical Services in the first instance.

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme applies to regulars or reserves and is particularly pertinent to those who may need to take time off their full time job through injuries or illness that may occur whilst undertaking reserve training or operational duties: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...mpensation-what-you-need-to-know#introduction

Those who are injured whilst serving with the reserves, so far as I'm aware, effectively continue to be "employed" by the Reserves until recovered through Guaranteed Income Payments. Obviously each case is viewed independently so it is not possible to second guess hypothetical instances but for those interested, just give Veterans UK a call: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...a-crisis/urgent-help-for-veterans-in-a-crisis

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Just to add, this clip helps explain it. Sort of:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lethal Goat

Lethal Goat New Member

@Ninja_Stoker as a fully trained reservist do you still have the chance to serve on the front line along side the regs?

7. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Just wondering why you are only asking ninja the question, as there are plenty of lads able to answer this question!

The question is - of course you do

• Like Like x 1
  8. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

I'm not applying for reserves myself but just wondering out of curiosity, how is it decided when/if reserves deploy to front line positions? Is it just when the regs can't cover the manpower or is there always a certain number of reserves deployed to subsidise the deployed force so to speak, or for a reason I haven't thought of?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A number of places on RM deployments are deliberately nominated as RMR billets to maintain currency. Previously, regular service Royal Marines have expressed the opinion that they were displaced from an upcoming deployment to make way for RMR trained ranks, but even when a full scale Commando unit deployment takes place, there will always be the need for a rear party at the unit base. There will always be trained ranks who cannot deploy for reasons such as compassionate issues, injuries, illness and of course, professional training & promotional courses etc.,

• Seen Seen x 1
  10. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Does anyone have any insight relating to how much time can be 'missed' as such? I know it states two missed weekends = back troop but how does this relate to say the period before a PRMCR, and are Wednesday nights also counted as part of the mandatory attendance?

I'm potentially looking at spending time outside the UK with work next year and would be curious about how it would pan out with the RMR.

11. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    You won’t be attending any Weekends before passing your PRMCR.
    Wednesday nights before your PRMCR are voluntary. Mainly for the Phys.

Wednesday nights during the recruit training is not mandatory, as far as I am aware, however it’s looked upon that you should attend all of it, for the Phys/Training/lessons. If you are to miss a Drill night (Wednesday) you should have a suitable excuse (work is a decent excuse in my book, work pays the bills)

The RMR is very strict in those timeframes and won’t make allowance for Primary employment (agree with it or not). I had a question posed to me about someone working an offshore/ships work rota, which the RMR wouldn’t budge on.

12. TheBreak

TheBreak New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    When an RMR earns the green lid, is there any kind of ‘pass out’ or is it just a shake of the hand and then off to your dept?

13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    There’s no parade as such. Mostly handshakes and a pat on the back and pointed in the direction of the kettle.

When you finish your 30miler there is a wee thing where everyone claps you over the bridge, some officer managed to put his caviar down to have a speech and has a shake of the hand and hands over your Green Beret for you to don.

• Like Like x 2
  14. green_beret0710

green_beret0710 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi Ninja,
    Does this mean that you can hand in your month's notice at any point? I was under the impression that you had to commit to an initial four years.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It has actually changed to 90 days, by the book. I'll amend the above.

• Like Like x 1
  16. posh_punter

posh_punter Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    We had a passout event at the unit a few weeks later actually. Depends very much on the training team and how many passout.

• Seen Seen x 1
  17. posh_punter

posh_punter Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    How long has this been the case Ninja? It's the first I've heard of it and probably changes things for a few blokes. Quite a big difference in notice period.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I only noticed it today when I looked it up.

Truth is, unless operationally employed or under orders for mobilisation, I imagine it'd be quite difficult to demand someone turned up for drill nights.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. Polo

Polo Member

So RMR recruits can quit sooner than 90 days?