Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Featured RMR Age constraints

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 27, 2014.

1. AlongTrackAsset

AlongTrackAsset New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I guess I already know the answer to this, but to put it to bed in my mind and come to terms with my missed opportunities, I presume the position on this hasn't changed at all?

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

As far as I know the age parameters have not altered.

Your profile states that you are currently aged 30 so you may have missed some opportunities but not all of them.

3. AlongTrackAsset

AlongTrackAsset New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Alas, I am 35. Thank you for your response.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

There are other Reserve opportunities out there for Direct Civilian Entrants including SAS (R) for which training must be commenced before one's 43rd birthday.

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/uksf-reserve.122899/

On a good day I can almost remember being aged 35. :)
    The world is still your lobster. Consider all options. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Speak to your unit; RMR Merseyside have a number of lads who are on the wrong side of the age limit, who are in Holding Troop.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Having just spoken about this with Liverpool AFCO RMR Recruiter, the oldest guys on the books and in the recruiting process are all aged 30 or less. The Recruiting SNCO at RMR Merseyside, advises there are a "few guys" over age 32 in RMR Merseyside Holding Troop but I am categorically assured they attested (signed-on) before age 33 and the reason they are permitted to continue is they were either injured or "back-trooped" having previously entered into RMR recruit training. As there's only one troop a year, the consequence is they will have passed the 33 year age limit but carried forward into the next sequential troop.

What does that mean?

Basically, you need to have successfully completed all elements of selection with SC underway, prior to PRMC and attested before age 33 - with no "air gap" (ie: a year or more skipped & no longer 'on the books').

My advice is if you are over age 32, have been knocked-back on age and you categorically know the details of anyone who did not successfully complete selection and attest prior to their 33rd birthday, write to the Unit Commanding Officer at your local RMR unit stating you wish to submit a complaint as you believe you are being discriminated against and cite your evidence.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GreenNugget

GreenNugget Guest

It’s a sad state of affairs when you are deemed too old in your mid 30s!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. GreenNugget

GreenNugget Guest

Try 4 PARA if RMR bin you off. To quote the OC Recruiting 4PARA:

"The upper age limit is usually decided on a case by case basis over the age of 40. If you have previous military experience, this will help"

Both CTC and P Coy are hard, and gets considerably harder when you reach the other side of 30. At 34 you will be welcomed onto the 4 PARA course as long as you display the correct fitness standards, can commit to the training time and have the correct attitude.

Contact your local recruiter!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Agreed.

Not so long ago (10 years?) the upper age for regular infantry units was 26, it has gradually crept upwards, ever since.

The bottom line is, as you state, gruelling starting from scratch (day one, week one) whatever age. For those over the age of 30, the statistical data clearly shows there's twice the number of 'wastage' in the 30+ and U18 age ranges as there are in the 19-23 cohort. The older we get the less likely the individual is going to bounce when he falls.

As a self-confessed old fart, I realised that falling over is a Key Performance Indicator of relative age - When you are young, people laugh & point at you but there comes a day when they no longer laugh and instead run towards you with a concerned expression when you fall.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. GreenNugget

GreenNugget Guest

See this is where I think they are getting it all wrong. We don’t need age limits- if you can do the job and hit the standard then you should get in. Retention wise very few are in for life anyone so having older recruits won’t change that. The modern military need a very different set of people these days. More and more they require technically savvy, skilled in engineering, languages and other high demand skills. The modern RMR recruit is as likely to have a degree as they are no qualifications, and many of them see the armed forces as a stepping stone to another job or career. So why turn away a fit, skilled, mature bloke who has all his ducks in a row because he’s 35. The biggest hurdle to getting people to join the RMR is the recruiting system. I’m shocked there isn’t an age discrimination case in yet!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I am too.

The Armed Forces always claim Crown exemption for employment legislation, but only where they can demonstrate their reasons are justifiable. Trouble is, the MoD will not yield until someone takes them to court and proves their case...and that isn't going to be cheap unfortunately.

It was the same with the legislation regarding homosexuals being barred from entry & females being kicked-out of a job when they fell pregnant. Outrageous in the "modern age" but it still it had to go through the courts before they changed it.

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Past a certain age one doesn't "fall over"; instead one "has a fall". More than the one and it becomes "a history of falls". :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Let’s not forget all the press releases that remind us that the MoD is a leading equal opportunities employer that values talent from a wide range of backgrounds.

I’d say there are a few lawyers with their fingers firmly crossed in Whitehall hoping they aren’t called justify their continued discrimination on the basis of age.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Totally agree.

A few areas of discrimination in which the MoD currently exempts itself:

Age, Sexual Equality, Disability, Equal Pay, Religion & Social Status.

Other than that, they claim to be an Equal Opportunities Employer, a claim which would not stand up to a casual perusal, let alone legal scrutiny by the Advertising Standards Authority.

And yet, several minority Diversity & Inclusion campaigning bodies rate the UK Armed Forces amongst their Top Ten UK Employers, indicating all other UK employers are presumably even more discriminatory.

Clearly Age Concern doesn't have the same political willpower or clout as the minority political lobbyist campaign groups. Or maybe they have more pressing priorities in which to effect change.

In most cases, if not all, those people who are outside the upper age parameters currently set were fully aware of the eligibility criteria many years before they became ineligible, regardless of the age they chose to retrospectively complain about it.

Ultimately for all the valid reasons behind non-availability to undertake training when eligible, it's a question of commitment when eligible. Some can, some can't but the job requires you make yourself available and commit.

Rather that, than keep kicking the can of opportunity down the 16 year-long street of eligibility and call foul when Old Father Time's steamroller of destiny finally flattens it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Just to add to the above those in training over the age of 32 are permitted to continue after being back-trooped... bizarrely for reasons which precisely illustrate the logic for the upper age parameters due to increased risk of injury. Or, simply due to the fact their primary employment commitments or family circumstances prevent the commitment required to complete RMR training.

Sometimes two demanding jobs are just not compatible for the individual at that point in time. No-one's fault, but how many times are they permitted to "give it one last go" ?