RMR and College

Kewley

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm strongly considering joining the RMR at the moment, but I'm a little worried about the 1-2 week courses. I'm in my first year of college, but the next Selection weekend for my local det isn't until sept 11 09. I'm wondering how flexible the week courses are, I'm not sure whether my college would count it as a valid reason for missing college time.

So basically, around what time are the courses based (if there is a pattern) and If I can't make that particular course, is it acceptable or permitted for me to do the course at a more convenient time?

Thanks in advance.

RC

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

What Det are you hoping to join ?

Erm, there are several courses at CTC spread through out the year. However, your unit will be scheduled to attend on specific dates. You MAY be able to go down on a course with another RMR unit. I know of a couple of lads who did this. However, for the lads who did this, course dates did not clash with normal weekend training, e.g. they did not miss any normal training whilst at CTC.

Your best bet would be to speak to someone at the unit you intend to join.

Kewley

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The Liverpool (RMR Merseyside) detachment is the closest to me.

I called the careers line a few days ago, and they gave me the Liverpool number but I got no answer. I tried again the next day but got no answer. I'll wait until Tuesday (their Drill night) and try them again.

Anyway thanks again for the reply.

I'd be interested to hear from any other students who where in this position.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you cannot get the RMR unit, 0151 707 3346, try the local AFCO: 0151 236 1566, option 1.

Good luck.

RC

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The Liverpool (RMR Merseyside) detachment is the closest to me.

Well, for RMR Mersey the phase 1 course will usually be in February and the Commando Course usually at the end of July (running into August).

Rich.

Kewley

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

The Phase one course is going to be around the build up to exams, which could cause problems, I'm not sure. The commando Course will be around the summer holiday which is great.

Ill speak with the detatment and college this week comming.

Thanks.

RC

Reaction score
sorry to stick my foot in, but at Mersey, instead of doing a weekend every other week, its every 3rd week now so the course is a bit longer. The troop this year have Phase1 in March and the Cmdo Course in October. Hope that helps.

Ah .... ignore my last Kewley.

Cheers Pendo.

Rich.

Kewley

Reaction score
No probs RC :P. Thanks Pendo!

In that case, both courses are going to be during college/uni for me. Ahh well I suppose its only 2 weeks off, just like a holiday I suppose...only with less sun... and more running.