Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

RMR and Retained Fire Service

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by WDS2827, Nov 22, 2019.

1. WDS2827

WDS2827 New Member

Good Morning,

I am currently in Royal Marines training at CTC and have to return home to transfer to an RMR unit due to a welfare case. I was wondering if it would be possible to also serve with the Retained Fire service as i live next door to the station and naturally have the fitness to do it; it would seem a waste not to help being that im so close and have the phys to offer knowing that they're so short of bodies. The fire station's training night is Tuesday and the RMR's is Thursday with occasional weekends. Does anyone have any gen on the rules and feelings and opp's within the RMR to be part of the retained fire service? I have applied for the 40 hour retained service to start with dependant on the rules and regs on doing both.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

WDS

2. dolly

dolly Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yes, you can be apart of the RDS and RMR, I am also apart of both and have recently applied for Wholetime with the Fire Service. Being a government body, the Fire Service is naturally supportive of you doing the reserves and will make exceptions for you when it comes to weekends away, etc, just request the time off you need a week or so in advance (whenever your Junior Officer in the RDS does the rotas, let him know), and nine times out of ten, you'll get that time off. I'm on the 85 hour contract and find it doesn't conflict with the RMR.
    Hope this helps!
    P.S. Be prepped for a long wait with the fire service and being employed in retained, the process is notoriously slow! All the best to you mate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  3. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Gut feeling is that it would be fine. The only issue I could see is needing to deconflict weekends to ensure you don’t miss or limit the number of weekends you miss.

With most things communication is key. Give your training team as much notice as possible if there is a conflict and 9/10 times they will have a work around. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  4. WDS2827

WDS2827 New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for getting back to me! Thats great news, ill apply for more hours in that case. Thanks a lot mate.
    Cheers, WDS

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  6. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

So you will Be RMR as a Nod? A good few mates of mine are retained up north, and there is an hourly cap on what you can do.
    As long as you make up the hours through the week, you should be fine to take the weekends off.
    Best to get yourself in and take a packet of biscuits round and have a chat.
    You will obviously not be available for your Nod weekends, (and be off the rota for Friday daytime incase you get drawn into an incident) and on returning you will probably have to take the Sunday night and Monday daytime off before going back on call. As you might not be safe at an incident if you are fatigued.

I would imagine it would be down to your Detachment if they would allow you to remain on call for your Drill nights?

What will you be doing for a Civvie job? This is where it might break down. You will be taking a lot on.

As far as the policy goes, there’s nothing stopping you. The only thing I can think of is the retained not allowing it because of the hourly commitment. Which is station and area dependant.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1