RMR and signing up

Holidays

Reaction score
Hi, My son is in holding troop at the moment and has been training once a week with the RMR for the past two months, this week when he was training, he had to sign his contract, which he said was explained to him as a 12 year contract, where he could leave at anytime that he wanted as long as he gave 4 weeks notice, but if he did leave the RMR, as he had signed a 12 year contract, should war break out or something similar then he could be recalled within that 12 years, I was just wondering if this was true or has he misunderstood? Also because he doesn't attend his PRMC till next month, if he fails this or fails his 15 month training to get his green beret, would this make this contract null and void.? thank you

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi, My son is in holding troop at the moment and has been training once a week with the RMR for the past two months, this week when he was training, he had to sign his contract, which he said was explained to him as a 12 year contract, where he could leave at anytime that he wanted as long as he gave 4 weeks notice, but if he did leave the RMR, as he had signed a 12 year contract, should war break out or something similar then he could be recalled within that 12 years, I was just wondering if this was true or has he misunderstood? Also because he doesn't attend his PRMC till next month, if he fails this or fails his 15 month training to get his green beret, would this make this contract null and void.? thank you

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/how-long-do-you-sign-up-for-in-the-rmr.104717/#post-624564

This has been covered in this thread. It should clear up any confusion.

In basic terms, you don’t sign up for 12 years. The 12 years is just a maximum you can be employed for without extending.

You are free to leave after a return of service of a certain time.
There is definitely a reserve call up list for regulars, but I am unsure of the time for RMR.

To be brutally honest. If that’s what worries him, he needs to rethink his career choices, it’s the Royal Marines job. RMR or Regular.

Holidays

Reaction score
Thanks from your reply, hes not worried at all, that's just me. thanks

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks from your reply, hes not worried at all, that's just me. thanks

Och it’s alright. It’s one of those things. There’s a good support network for Parents and Partners. Everyone shares the same worries.

Keep us updated with how he gets on in holding troop.