RMR and university

mr.sniper

Reaction score
If I join the rmr while im at university will it interfere with my studies, im studying law which is quite diffucult?

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i am in exactly the same situation mate.
studying law, i am going for RMR, obviously cant tell you how i get on yet, but will keep you informed, it will be hard mate, time is scarse on a law course, but, if your determined enough to do it, I rekon it can be done.

I am on another site also and been advised by an RNR lad that he is in his second year on a pretty demanding course and he is coping, i know RMR is physically more demanding but, I think it is possible.

You will be advised by others that it is possible that you will be mobilised, once you hav finished your training, this is true and something I accept.

RC

Reaction score
mr.sniper said:
If I join the rmr while im at university will it interfere with my studies, im studying law which is quite diffucult?

It could interfere with your studies. However, the majority of my troop were students and seemed to manage fairly well. If you want to get a good degree you'll need to manage your time effectively and make a few sacrifices to your social life.

Basically for me when I was a recruit, I would need to dedicate the following to the RMR:

Every other weekend we were in the field. Usually I would need to be at the detachment for 6 - 7 o'clock on a Friday and I would get home after 5 on a Sunday. I always took my kit home a de-serviced it there (usually took an hour plus). Some weekends you will not get any sleep at all which can take a while to catch up on.

Every Tuesday we would have a drill night between 8 and 10 o'clock. It would normally take about 30 minutes to an hour to prepare / iron kit before attending.

You will be given lots of information on drill nights and weekends which you need to learn and revise from your notes / handouts. So you may need to set an hour a side each week for revision.

Obviously, you will need to set a side some time most days for phys.

We were required to attend CTC for a 2 week phase 1 course, a 2 week Commando course after which you get your green lid. However you are not fully deployable until you have completed -

A 1 week Commando skills course ( this may have been integrated into recruit training now ?).

These dates were set ( phase 1 / commando course / commando skills ), but several lads who couldn't make these dates were allowed to attend the courses on another date ( with either another RMR unit or a regular recruit troop ).

And completed field firing 1 and 2, however you will do this with a regular recruit troop so you can choose as and when you want to do this.

While your a recruit you will be expected to attend every training weekend unless you have a very good reason not to. Once you have passed out things will be alot more flexible.

Dodger -

You won't be mobilised whilst you are in full time education ( unless we are invaded :*text deleted*: ).

Hope this gives you an insight into the time commitment required.

Rich.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for that.

Some people have said it is possible to be mobilised whilst in full time education as soon as you have finished all the required, others have said it is likely that you would be exempt from deployment. I've not got a clue, cheers for that. Will still be asking on my briefing night anyway.

I was glad to see in your post about the CTC date being a little bit flexible, as I wasn't sure if it would interfere with my examination dates, which is the only time i wouldn't be able to go down.

Cheers.
Dodger.

RC

Reaction score
Yeah, as PAGreenwell as pointed out. Most people (especially me :*text deleted*: ) will need to put quite a few hours in practicing navigation. I used to kill two birds with one stone by navving a route with the bergen on.

Which units are you hoping to join Dodger / Mrsniper ?

Rich.

RC

Reaction score
Dodger said:
Some people have said it is possible to be mobilised whilst in full time education as soon as you have finished all the required, others have said it is likely that you would be exempt from deployment. I've not got a clue, cheers for that. Will still be asking on my briefing night anyway.

Dodger.

I may be wrong then ??? I was always under the impression you was exempt from mobilisation whilst in full-time education unless you chose to deploy or the sh1t really hit the fan.

Any info Ninja ?

Rich.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It was infact ninja that i quoted, when saying it is possible to be mobilised, well his words were something along the lines of, although the required ammount are usually taken up by volunteers, dont think it wont happen. When i go to my breifing i will be asking, and will let you know the response.

I am going for merseyside, 25 min walk from my current abode, or the 1st stop on a train for 80p so distance shouldn't be a problem. and navigation, ive got wales to play in for that, *text deleted*.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
RC said:
I was always under the impression you was exempt from mobilisation whilst in full-time education unless you chose to deploy or the sh1t really hit the fan.

Any info Ninja ?

Rich.

You are only exempt from compulsory mobilisation, once trained, if you are classed 'List 7' Reserves which usually includes URNU, OTC & UAS. RMR, regardless of what you are doing are liable for compulsory mobilisation. That said, most, if not all recent manpower requirements have been met by volunteers.

RC

Reaction score
Thats cleared that up. :*text deleted*:

Cheers Ninja.

Rich.

j.cunners

Reaction score
Mobilised with the RMR while at College?

If I were to be mobilised with the RMR while at college would I be able to turn around and say no I can't or would I just have to face up to the fact that this is what the RMR do, no exceptions?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
if you're in education you could appeal, don't know how likely it is that it would be accepted though

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's highly unlikely. First you have to be fully trained and got the green beret, as well as continuation training. You may have finished college by then.

Also you can't be deployed to a warzone until you are 18. And usually the need is met by volunteers first. And er...you can appeal against any decision.

S

Sotiris

Surely when you sign up the fact that you're a student is taken into account?

I can't imagine them sending a uni student in the middle of a degree off to war.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Surely when you sign up the fact that you're a student is taken into account?

I can't imagine them sending a uni student in the middle of a degree off to war.

He said college.

And did you read what I said? Extremely slim chance of deployment, unless we are plunged into a state of total war and have severe manpower shortages.

lewdog29

Reaction score
graduate pay in the rmr

Just thought of this today, but do you get paid more in the RMR if you're a graduate? I know you do in the regulars. If so what is the increase?Anyway I was just wondering if thats the case..

Cheers
Guy

RC

Reaction score
Just thought of this today, but do you get paid more in the RMR if you're a graduate? I know you do in the regulars. If so what is the increase?Anyway I was just wondering if thats the case..

Cheers
Guy

No, not unless things have changed recently.

Not sure about RMR officers ???

Rich.

encn

Reaction score
RC is correct, you get paid per day (ie every 8hrs) - not dependant on qualifications, but is dependant on rank - I think NCOs get more than ordinary ranks, and Commisioned Officers definately get more: I THINK it starts at about £30 per day/8hrs for ordinary trained ranks (£28 for recruits?) and £50 per day for a Lt.

Also get your mileage covered for travelling to and from the Det.

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Officers and Rubber Daggers

As a person that would like to join the Marines in the future, would it be clever to join the RMR while at university.

And would this in theory mean that you would go to YO training with a green beret??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob