RMR Bristol v Lympstone

exmoorbeast

Reaction score
Morning gents

I’m currently going through the application process (medical and vPJFT to complete) to join RMR Bristol - Lympstone Det. Over the last few weeks I’ve had more than one person say that I should consider Bristol Det as another option.

The guys I have spoken too have given their reasons but I thought it would be useful to get the perspective of those on here. If anyone could give me their experience of either or both in terms of numbers, facilities, opportunities etc that would be much appreciated. Please PM if more appropriate.

In terms of travel, Lympstone is around an hour and a half from home, Bristol more like two hours. If I’m hanging out after training etc I’ve got places to stay in both Bristol and Exeter, so no issues there.

Cheers

CarrotOrStick

Royal Marines Reserve Officer
Reaction score
Why would you attend Bristol instead of Lympstone? The quality of instruction is the same and most training is conducted on weekends where you aren't at the detachment anyway.

Lympstone also has the ropes and regains that you will be tested on. Pick the det that you will be able to get to most easily (you'll appreciate that after weekends!) and ignore the advice you've received about cherry picking!

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
I can think of a number of reasons to join Bristol Det over Lympstone.
Whilst most training is done away from the

Det the structure and support network from the detachment is equally important. Being a member of a thriving vibrant detachment is easier than being one from a detachment with only one or two recruits. If you are the only recruit - what will the quality of training be? Equally, what is the trained rank strength, what is the quality/experience of the trained rank? I don’t know the answer at time of this post- for either Det

Bristol also has facilities, has Cardiff with 30ft external ropes, has PTIs and has the HQ meaning that there is a lot of experience and benefits to being a member of Bristol Det.

The Det night training facilities are greater than Lympstone - unless classroom facilities at CTCRM have improved. At CTCRM you are immersed in the Corps and assumed to be a regular nod if you are seen cutting about this can be pro or con.

if you have the luxury of cherry picking - I would do. I know which I would chose

Collieryboy

Reaction score
I can think of a number of reasons to join Bristol Det over Lympstone.
Whilst most training is done away from the

Det the structure and support network from the detachment is equally important. Being a member of a thriving vibrant detachment is easier than being one from a detachment with only one or two recruits. If you are the only recruit - what will the quality of training be? Equally, what is the trained rank strength, what is the quality/experience of the trained rank? I don’t know the answer at time of this post- for either Det

Bristol also has facilities, has Cardiff with 30ft external ropes, has PTIs and has the HQ meaning that there is a lot of experience and benefits to being a member of Bristol Det.

The Det night training facilities are greater than Lympstone - unless classroom facilities at CTCRM have improved. At CTCRM you are immersed in the Corps and assumed to be a regular nod if you are seen cutting about this can be pro or con.

if you have the luxury of cherry picking - I would do. I know which I would chose
I don't want to derail but you mentioning recruits reminded me. I don't really know anything about my local det, tyne. Do you have a rough idea how many ranks there will be at tyne and roughly how many recruits per intake? I know it was its own unit but now a sub unit of Scotland don't know what difference that makes.

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
I don't want to derail but you mentioning recruits reminded me. I don't really know anything about my local det, tyne. Do you have a rough idea how many ranks there will be at tyne and roughly how many recruits per intake? I know it was its own unit but now a sub unit of Scotland don't know what difference that makes.
Not wishing to derail the thread - yet massively changing the subject.

Think you’re barking up the wrong try as this is predominately about RMR Bristol. Not sure who is a Tyne expert. I’m thinking @ThreadpigeonsAlpha but I might be barking up the wrong tree.