RMR (Civvie jobs and driving)

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m looking at joining the RMR, going to give myself the goal to enter RT in 2019. Just got 2 questions about civilian jobs and driving.

1. What kind of jobs do guys have whilst in the RMR? I know the Royal Marines is a brotherhood and that your past doesn’t matter, it’s what matters when the chips are down etc. But I work in a cafe on a zero hours contract, and although I remain optimistic about future employment, I don’t see myself doing anything else in the next 2 - 3 years because I know I’m a valued member of staff.

2. Driving. I currently do not drive but as I’m aiming for 2019 I’m thinking about starting lessons etc. mainly so I can get myself to detachment nights, but also then I can drive and can get myself out on the downs and other places. My question being, would it be a hell of a lot easier and stress free if I were to be driving when I come to applying for the RMR as I’m abit skeptical about relying on trains and buses alone.

Cheers guys

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m looking at joining the RMR, going to give myself the goal to enter RT in 2019. Just got 2 questions about civilian jobs and driving.

1. What kind of jobs do guys have whilst in the RMR? I know the Royal Marines is a brotherhood and that your past doesn’t matter, it’s what matters when the chips are down etc. But I work in a cafe on a zero hours contract, and although I remain optimistic about future employment, I don’t see myself doing anything else in the next 2 - 3 years because I know I’m a valued member of staff.

2. Driving. I currently do not drive but as I’m aiming for 2019 I’m thinking about starting lessons etc. mainly so I can get myself to detachment nights, but also then I can drive and can get myself out on the downs and other places. My question being, would it be a hell of a lot easier and stress free if I were to be driving when I come to applying for the RMR as I’m abit skeptical about relying on trains and buses alone.

Cheers guys

To be blunt mate, if your in a cafe on zero contract, why bother with RMR?

Are you in full time education? If not, consider Regular Service. RMR is arguably suited for ex Regular, lads in full time education, or self employed. The whole part time thing isn't really a selling point.

RMR civvie employment differs from students, to unemployed, to self employed. You would have an advantage with your Cafe work as you could manage to make every Drill night. Rather than miss it because of work or shifts.

Driving shouldn't matter. If you were regular RM you could wangle a driving course easily, they can take you through your car to HGV. All paid for.
I would imagine you could at least ask for a course with RMR if it would benefit the Unit, you might get it.
Yea having a car would help, but not impossible.

Banshee

Reaction score
To be blunt mate, if your in a cafe on zero contract, why bother with RMR?

Are you in full time education? If not, consider Regular Service. RMR is arguably suited for ex Regular, lads in full time education, or self employed. The whole part time thing isn't really a selling point.

RMR civvie employment differs from students, to unemployed, to self employed. You would have an advantage with your Cafe work as you could manage to make every Drill night. Rather than miss it because of work or shifts.

Driving shouldn't matter. If you were regular RM you could wangle a driving course easily, they can take you through your car to HGV. All paid for.
I would imagine you could at least ask for a course with RMR if it would benefit the Unit, you might get it.
Yea having a car would help, but not impossible.
I second this, 0 hours contract ain’t worth it

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for both replies,

To give a bit more background, the cafe is part of a theatre which also has a bar and a restaurant so I’m never short of work, and based on what my bosses have said to me and that the bar and restaurant always seem to call me in to cover shifts (even though I’m employed at the cafe), I think I’ve got a good thing going for me and could potentially be a supervisor or manager by the time I come to apply, so would no longer be zero hours contract.

I feel as if having a shot at RMR will allow me to see what becomes of my current employment and will let me take hold of any opportunities that come my way.

But yes, regular Royal Marines is what I will do if nothing comes of the above. So either way I’ve got plenty of time to prep for PRMC.

Reaction score
Driving shouldn't matter. If you were regular RM you could wangle a driving course easily, they can take you through your car to HGV. All paid
As a regular RM is it possible to get a few driving licences, like Cat C for instance, without going full Driver spec?

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
As a regular RM is it possible to get a few driving licences, like Cat C for instance, without going full Driver spec?
Some Troops go straight to Leconfield to do driver training. What licences are available to GD, I haven't a clue. The one way to ensure that you get all your licences, is to go Driver as an SQ. It's not a bad SQ to have and you'll always be in work when you leave the Corps. Better than yomping around with a radio on your back!

Plenty of other perks as well, but you'll find them out, given time! ;)

Alan

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for both replies,

To give a bit more background, the cafe is part of a theatre which also has a bar and a restaurant so I’m never short of work, and based on what my bosses have said to me and that the bar and restaurant always seem to call me in to cover shifts (even though I’m employed at the cafe), I think I’ve got a good thing going for me and could potentially be a supervisor or manager by the time I come to apply, so would no longer be zero hours contract.

I feel as if having a shot at RMR will allow me to see what becomes of my current employment and will let me take hold of any opportunities that come my way.

But yes, regular Royal Marines is what I will do if nothing comes of the above. So either way I’ve got plenty of time to prep for PRMC.
Just from an outsiders perspective, are you saying that you'd rather go for RMR and be the Manager of a cafe potentially as a long-term career rather than go for 'full time' RM? Some may disagree but being a cafe manager all your working life does seem like a relatively boring way of earning a living! At the end of the day it's the same job in the same place doing the same thing every day and the reason a lot of people probably myself included go RM is to get away from the monotony of working 9-5 5 times a week waiting for your next holiday!
I might have got this all wrong though-nailbiting-

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just from an outsiders perspective, are you saying that you'd rather go for RMR and be the Manager of a cafe potentially as a long-term career rather than go for 'full time' RM? Some may disagree but being a cafe manager all your working life does seem like a relatively boring way of earning a living! At the end of the day it's the same job in the same place doing the same thing every day and the reason a lot of people probably myself included go RM is to get away from the monotony of working 9-5 5 times a week waiting for your next holiday!
I might have got this all wrong though-nailbiting-

Yeah I see what your saying, but flip it around. I want a long term military career, but there’s also stuff I want to do outside of the military. Being the manager of the cafe is just something I used as an example because it’s relatively short term compared to what else I want to do aswell

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I see what your saying, but flip it around. I want a long term military career, but there’s also stuff I want to do outside of the military. Being the manager of the cafe is just something I used as an example because it’s relatively short term compared to what else I want to do aswell
I see what you're saying but the way I'd look at it is if you go into the military, get to the end of RT and pass out and find out it's not what you want from life then fine, you're only stuck for another 4 years which in the grand scheme isn't a very long time. Whereas if you go down the manager route and decide it's not what you want to do when you're over the age limit then you're pretty much stuck counting down the days until you retire which is a complete waste of time. I'm probably biased but still, when I used to get the first train on a Monday morning everyone looked extremely miserable and I don't see the point in counting down till the weekend, until you have to go back on Monday and start the cycle again. I'm sure this happens in the military too but I'd just say do something you enjoy.

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi all,

Cheers guys

Hi mate, in RMR London we've got everyone from investment bankers and research scientists to plumbers and chippies. Everyone is of a very similar mindset though, and I personally really enjoy how your civilian job means nothing when you're doing RMR stuff - we're all equal. To be honest, having a job that is flexible and allows you to plan your work around the RMR is a big help. Some of the lads have to book time off 4 or 5 months in advance to make sure there are no clashes, which is a pain for them - especially when training dates change. Likewise, some people will have to go and do a night shift straight after a training weekend!

In terms of driving, you get driven to field weekends, but you'll need to make you own way to the detachment for training nights. The issue here is that you're not supposed to be taking your bergan and any identifiable military kit on public transport for security reasons. Depending on your detachment, that might not be a problem as you might be able to do all your washing of kit etc. At my detachment though, we don't have lockers or the facilities to wash our kit, so have to take it all home. Again, no problem if you have a car, but the lads who don't drive struggle sometimes.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Go regular then mate. You can do some time then use it to get qualled up to the ying yang then leave and face other challenges.

I would only reccomend RMR if your Ex Regular, self employed, or in full time education. That's my opinion though.
Just be advised though, there's no "having a shot" at RMR or RM. it's still huge commitment.
If you want a little side job go for an Army Reserve job, or if you want a play about then RAF Reserves.

The world is what you make of it, the military will take you, train you, educate you. And you can use those skills through life. The world doesn't stop when you leave, You can manage your own cafe after you leave. If you like the management game then get in the RM Officer route.