Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

RMR commitment

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by gumpo, Nov 8, 2019 at 5:27 PM.

1. gumpo

gumpo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hi all,

I’m looking at applying for the RMR but have a question about time commitments during RT. I know you have to do 2 weekends a month compulsory, are the weekday evening sessions also compulsory? As I currently work in the emergency services, getting 2 weekends off a month plus 4 evenings a month could be problematic. Thank you

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Your employers will almost certainly have a Reserve Forces policy. Either @Johnny_Anonie or @ThreadpigeonsAlpha might give you a heads up on generalities if they spot this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gumpo

gumpo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    If I remember correctly I get 31 total days extra leave for it. Not sure if that would be enough for RMR. Although the possibility is there to supplement with my regular leave but there is no guarantees I would get the weekends I needed.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

An important factor to consider is that some big employers (including emergency services) might have a policy which limits the number of Reserve personnel they permit on the books at any one time. This makes sense when one considers that Reserve Service has a deployment liability.

If this particular obstacle is encountered in the first instance there are possible work arounds but hopefully others far better qualified than I will comment.

5. gumpo

gumpo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Yeah for my organisation it’s an upper limit of 85. I’m awaiting a response about whether I have permission or am on the waiting list. Apparently they added new spaces recently due to people having permission but not actually joining the reserve forces so fingers crossed

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Waiting lists date rapidly. Some expressions of interest by others from, say, six months ago might already have fallen by the wayside as individual circumstances change. In my experience the phrase 'waiting list' means little.

The deployment of polite, charming persistence often helps in dealings with employment bureaucracy.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

I don’t know about Fire/Ambulance but the Home Office supports Police joining the Reserve Forces. However it is for individual Chief Constables to decide whether to allow only a percentage of their police strength to join the reserves. In my force, the upper limit is set at 1.0% of police officers.

As far as the needs of duty permit, members of the reserves may be granted a minimum of 15 days paid. Special Leave per leave year for ongoing Reservist Duty (including ongoing exercises). For those on a variable shift pattern this equates to around 120 hours for cops.

Bare in mind that you do not really get to the point of being selective about your attendance until you are a trained rank. The early stages of recruit training are structured and often mandatory. You need to think about how you may fit recruit training around your work schedule. RMR is incredibly time intensive, and you will definitely need to consider this. There are serving RMR guys on here that I am sure will add more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gumpo

gumpo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thanks for the reply @Johnny_Anonie. Ideally I would join the RMR but if it’s not possible due to how much commitment is involved i’m Going to be looking at the AR. Although it’s still a significant commitment early on its a lot less than the RMR and potentially easier for me to work around

9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Alright mate, I know quite a few lads from various Emergency Services in RMR. While it takes commitment, it is possible.

The emergency service your in will have a reserve Forces policy it will offer X amount of time off and other benefits. The only downside is your Service can refuse the time off or deployments on the grounds of manning.

As far as I am aware, it’s not compulsory to attend every drill night, however it will help you, there’s phys and lesson plans to be done for the upcoming weekends.

• Like Like x 1