Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

RMR commitments outside of weekends and drill nights

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Griff149, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Griff149

Griff149 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi all,

Was just curious as to what sort of admin those in RT in the RMR should expect to have to do in their own time I.e outside the training weekends and Wednesday drill nights? In terms of extra learning etc!

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Good question.

Besides servicing your kit after training evolutions and regularly maintaining your phys preparations, it would be interesting to hear from current or former RMR recruits how much (unpaid) time is spent with peripheral administration such as mastering map reading, revision for written tests etc.

It's long been a bone of contention for self-employed individuals who are unable to work through training injuries, whether or not treatment & loss of income should be service funded. Some first hand experiences in this area would be appreciated.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. thegingerone

thegingerone Royal Marines Commando

Your expected to pick things up very quickly in the RMR, thats not to say your not given revision lessons or extra time to go over things, but for me I did spend a fair amount of of my own time brushing up on the lessons I'd been taught.

Map reading and navigation, for example, was probably the area I practiced most in my own time. - probably because it wasn't one of my strengths! During my alpha phase, I'd try and get out at least once or twice a month, to do some nav. The more you practice the better you get, and in my mind there was absolutely no way I was going to fail the course. It can also be quite enjoyable when your not having to worry about getting lost and the whole troop coming out to search for you (it did happen)

All the lectures will be provided as handouts - just depends how much you want it!

Any questions feel free to PM me.

• Like Like x 3