Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Rmr Deployment

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Rmr marine, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Biggles

Biggles Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thanks lads will do, this is quite some journey - having spoken to 2 GPs over the last few weeks and gone back through all my medical records since 2002 I have finally persuaded them to get me reassessed by a consultant psychiatrist. The catch ? The waiting list on NHS is 6 weeks.

With my interview on Monday I have to give my AFCO my medical forms for him to send off and he advised me to come armed with any evidence I can muster that I no longer suffer from these mental health conditions so that capita and medical teams don't just PMU me when they see my records.

So I'm forking out £400 for private appointment tomorrow - an 1.5 hour assessment and 3 hour journey so that hopefully gives me at least a small chance to get through to the next stage.

I guess thats the Commando Spirit at least.

• Like Like x 4
    • Seen Seen x 1
  2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

If it isn’t too late, do not waste £400 mate. Go through the process and if an appeal is required then go via the NHS.

I sincerely mean this with the greatest respect, I worry that you may be missing the point here. The issue isn’t that a previous history of OCD is reflective of your current mental health now. The key word is history. Forking out £400 for a report to say it does not have an impact on your life now will not negate that you have a history of the condition.

To quote JSP950

A history of clearly diagnosed OCD results in the candidate being graded P8 as even though OCD may be triggered by stressors it is by its nature usually a relapsing condition or else may follow a chronic course. In cases of doubt, the examining physician should seek the opinion of the sS occupational physician responsible for service entry

Please read above taken directly from the single source policy for Service Entry requirements (JSP 950). I'm afraid OCD would be a bar to entry.

By all means appeal if required/permitted. An appeal needs to show why medical professionals should change their minds based on evidence, not opinion. A detailed history of what you had, when you had it, how long since you have suffered from it and especially any new evidence they have not been able to consider before.

Based on that, they will decide if you fit within the required standards. Just saying you don't have it now, and that your private consultant thinks that you are fit for service won't change the fact that JSP950 states a history of OCD as a bar to entry. I think it would be prudent to manage your expectations.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GreenNugget

GreenNugget Guest

Aw mate don’t!!

4. Biggles

Biggles Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi Chaps,

Thanks Johnny for your message. Alas I am aware that I really have very little hope indeed - I just read the MOD's Naval Assessment Service Entry Document including the piece you quoted and I fully understand it.

I went to my appointment anyway as it was too late to cancel and had an hour and a half assessment. This diagnosis was made 12 years ago and since that brief period of mild OCD I have been symptom free. The psychiatrist went through all my notes and history and concluded that I do not suffer from OCD or any mental disorder and have not done for many years.

However I realise this means nothing and won't help me. My interview is on Monday - I've been preparing for some time. Of course I will still attend though with a heavy heart.

It seems a great shame and I have finally, after staying positive and hopeful for a long time exhausted my options and possibilities of ever achieving my childhood dream.

Perhaps the tiniest bit of hope holding out until the end is the highlighted below. Although its really getting desperate now.

Appealing is basically a waste of time from what I have read - if the document the psychiatrist attaches to my medical notes doesn't pass it nothing will - he can't add anything more to it.

I will keep you all posted and I appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Thanks all.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Never say never. Attend and appeal if needs be. The only person who will know for sure is the qualified service medical professionals. No one on here can answer with certainty. The professionals will have the detailed contents of your medical file.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Biggles

Biggles Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi all,

So I had my phone call with Capita yesterday, failed at Triage due to the history of OCD 12 years ago.

I spoke to my AFCO and they said to appeal.

My case is a little bit less straightforward in that the diagnosis was made in adolescence and the diagnosis was not seconded by another medical professional, short lived and questionable at the time, which gives some murkiness to the whole thing.

Quoting JSP950

"
    4. It is important to differentiate between conditions representing understandable emotional and behavioural responses to significant life events (eg parental divorce, bereavement) and those disorders with a hereditary or complex aetiology (eg depression). Whilst the former may settle within acceptable time frames and with no psychiatric input, the latter are more likely to have a significant effect on function and greater risk of relapse. Candidates with a diagnosis made during adolescence require particular scrutiny. This is to ensure that individuals who have presented at a time of normal and understandable emotional turmoil are not unnecessarily declared UNFIT if they are symptom free and have developed coping strategies adequate for Service life.

"

I'm off to see my GP who has agreed to help me as he is familiar with JSP950 so there may be a tiny chance quoting the above which is highly relevant to my barring.

If I don't at least try I will never know.

• Like Like x 1