Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

RMR during college

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by editomo, Aug 20, 2019.

1. editomo

editomo New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Evening guys,
    I am currently mid-way through my RMO scholarship application ( medical tomorrow) and joining the RMR during my time at college has been recommended to me by a former RM WO2. I am fully up for this as it could give me an lot of experience before regular RT but I am currently unsure on whether any other people are in the RMR during education or if it it simply doable. Any advice would be appreciated

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

There are a fair number of students who join the RMR whilst in education, but the success rate tends to be significantly higher in the undergrad age group in relation to those aged 16/17.

Most students in Sixth Form find there is a marked change in the learning methodology compared to studying for GCSEs, particularly for those studying A Levels. The thing to remember is the primary aim is to achieve your qualifications at this stage and RMR Recruit Training is quite demanding of your time as well as physically & mentally.

Whilst I would agree that the RMR is a good insight for those intending to undertake a military career, it categorically isn't intended to provide work experience - the aim is to produce trained rank Reservists who can flexibly augment the regular service when, and if required. Bear in mind also, once you hopefully achieve Trained Rank in the Reserves - up to 40 RMR personnel will be operationally mobilised for up to 12 months each year and whilst you can defer being mobilised once or twice, it is still something you should bear in mind.

The trade-off with joining the RMR is that it very often suits the service to encourage students to join the Reserves as there will inevitably be some who subsequently elect to remain in the Reserves and take-up civilian employment instead of joining the regulars.

One final point to remember is that even though you can become Commando qualified as an Other Rank Reservist, if you go on to join as a RM Young Officer, you'll start training from scratch .

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. editomo

editomo New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks, it’s good to hear that there are members of RMR in education. I think I’ll definitely consider it, while making sure I get the ucas points

4. Massey

Massey New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Starting my apprenticeship on Monday, just trying to gain as much info as I can before I apply for RMR

Does my company have an obligation to let me be mobilised for up to 12 months, or does it work on a case-by-case basis?

Hope this makes sense.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You need to talk to your employer...carefully. Do not jeopardise your job.

Apprenticeships can be quite restrictive on the grounds your company is paying you a wage whilst it is training you to do the job and there could well be a conflict of interest.

Ask or research what the company policy is with regard employing Reservists. If they have signed an Armed Forces Covenant, there's a reasonable chance they could be supportive, but again apprentice employment regulations can be quite tight - many companies could well have a policy stating it is not permitted and that is totally their prerogative.

From an employer's perspective they may well object to giving someone trade training, particularly if the end goal is joining the Armed Forces full time.

My advice? Tread warily and definitely don't be telling your future employer they are obligated to release you if mobilised because they may well let you go.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

In simple terms:

For training/exercises? No.
    For a Deployment/Operation? Potentially.

The length of deployment varies, and your employer can contest or appeal the decision.

Remember RMR isn’t just for “work experience” or a “stepping stone” for regular Royal Marines. They have a job to do and a role to play and it’s certainly not an easier way to get in.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Massey

Massey New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    • Like Like x 1