RMR during university?

THOR

Reaction score
For a number of reasons that I won't bore you all with, but including a desire in the future to pursue a career that requires a degree, I now find myself looking at attending university as a mature student.

Earning the green lid and deploying as a commando is a massive goal for me, one that I've had since I was about kneecap height and that I've been actively going after since 2014; yet sadly had pushed back so far on medical grounds (since cleared). For me this means whilst I now have uni as something I wish to do, delaying training by another 3 years would be gutting and so I find myself looking at the reserves.

Any reservists here who have gone through training alongside their studies or know of those who have, who can shed some light on the realities of it. Is it possible to balance the two?

Best I've found on the topic is an old reserves promo featuring a recruit from Bristol Uni so any tips on this are appreciated.

THOR

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
For a number of reasons that I won't bore you all with, but including a desire in the future to pursue a career that requires a degree, I now find myself looking at attending university as a mature student.

Earning the green lid and deploying as a commando is a massive goal for me, one that I've had since I was about kneecap height and that I've been actively going after since 2014; yet sadly had pushed back so far on medical grounds (since cleared). For me this means whilst I now have uni as something I wish to do, delaying training by another 3 years would be gutting and so I find myself looking at the reserves.

Any reservists here who have gone through training alongside their studies or know of those who have, who can shed some light on the realities of it. Is it possible to balance the two?

Best I've found on the topic is an old reserves promo featuring a recruit from Bristol Uni so any tips on this are appreciated.

THOR

If its been your dream since you were little and you’ve been pushed back medically since 2014 (6 years) and now you’re all cleared I’m surprised this isn’t your motivation to prioritise this first!.

Theres several posts on here about people asking about doing uni and the reserves the same time and the feedback is if your study’s/exams clash with reserves criteria tests etc you will end up having to choose one or the other and missing weekends will cause you to get back trooped.
Youve also *text deleted* ask yourself can you put 100% into your study’s and the reserves at the same time? If you have a gruelling weekend exercise then have an important exam first thing Monday morning how will you cope with this?

Dont delay training by another 3 years go regulars and if it doesn’t go well or to plan and you end up leaving then go go the uni route. I’m not saying it’s not possible to do both but I would just concentrate on passing and finishing one of them first.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Hopefully users with first hand knowledge will chip in and give an informed opinion on this. RMR recruit training is incredibly time intensive, and you may be setting yourself up for a hard time with either of them when you try to juggle your studies and recruit training. You will be better placed to consider the demands of your academic study.

Below are two threads that discuss this. I hope it helps & best of luck.

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/rmr-with-uni.52096/

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/rmr-university.74754/