Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

RMR Fitness

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Dodger, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Dodger

Dodger New Member

I am going to be applying for the RMR in the new year.
    I currently play Rugby League for my uni, I am an ex-swimmer and in general moderate shape.
    What fitness levels should I be looking at for the early stages of RMR application, how long on a treadmill etc?

Thanks for any help, all will be really appreciated.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Hi Dodger welcome to the site,

You should be aiming toward approximately the same as regular RM PRMC fitness level in time for your RMR Selection Weekend.

That is to say say able to:

Run 3 miles in under 22mins 30 secs. (Or, if your unit runs it as a squad run, it's usually 12 mins 30secs 1.5 mile squad, then best time back in under 10 mins 30 secs- but under 10 mins on the run-back should be aimed for).

Followed by;

Level 10.5 on the bleep test (minimum) 25 metre.

Complete 40-60 close-arm press-ups in 2 mins,

60-80 Sit-ups (knees together)

6 Back-handed pull-ups.

40 metre swim, Breast Stroke.

If you can complete the above in one morning, in time for your Selection Weekend, you should have achieved the MINIMUM level of fitness to start RMR training.

Hope that helps.

3. Jamessly1989

Jamessly1989 Guest

My fitness knowledge is limited but for the recruitment process you need to complete a PJFT (Pre-Joining Fitness Test) which is a 1.5Mile (2.4Km) run on a treadmill in under 10 minutes. Then for your selection weekend you need to be able to run 3 miles in 22.5minutes. As well as this you need to be able to get a level 11 on the bleep test, be able to carry out a maximum of 60 press-ups, 80 sit-ups and 6 Pull-ups. All these need to be carried out using the correct technique which can be found on the Royal Marines Website in the 'Get Fit to apply' section.

Hope this helps

James

4. Dodger

Dodger New Member

cheers for the welcome, and the advice.

Sound on the press-ups, sit ups and pull ups.
    Did the 2.4k run today at slow pace on a treadmill in 12minutes so should be fine with that, will start running it at ten from now on though.
    WIll see what level I reach next time I bleep with rugby, pretty sure its 11 or above though. and as an ex swimmer, 40 meters breast is laughable for me, and the 3 mins tread water, whenever that is.

Thanks for the advice, more questions to come soon no doubt.
    Dodger.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Just one tip Dodger- bin the treadmill runs, do them outdoors on a variety of surfaces & gradients.

Appreciate you maybe a good swimmer and that it's the best all-round CV workout, but do not fall into the trap of thinking that you will breeze it as you have to complete each discipline in fairly rapid succession, ensure you layer your exercises & if you're doing weights, keep them small but frequent rather than with the intent of body-building, or you'll suffer.

Good luck & fire away with the questions, as & when.

6. Dodger

Dodger New Member

I know for a fact that I wont breeze the lot, just fairly confident on the swimming.

Okay will get out in the car and measure some distances, thanks for the advice.

7. Dodger

Dodger New Member

did the run again yesterday in 11 minutes and knew i could of made the 10.30 at least, had I had the pace right on the treadmill. Did the run again today, was on target but my legs gave out and I stopped, properly pissed off with myself. Hopefully if it aint absolutly bucketting it down tomoz I am going to try a road run. I don't know what sort of pace I should be running on the road, which is the main reason I struggle. Any advice for this?
    TIA

Dodger

8. Jamessly1989

Jamessly1989 Guest

To be honest mate when running outside it is hard to judge the pace you need.

My best advice would be to mark out a good running route on Google Earth or mapmyrun.com say a 3-mile route. Then find out the half way point and time your run to get to the half way point after about 12 minutes, then that gives you 10 minutes and under to complete the run. The first 12 minutes should be a good brisk pace, and the last leg should be pushing yourself hard.

Also for the correct timing on the treadmill, to complete the run in less than 10 minutes you need the start pace to be at 14.7km/ph minimum. Any pace above that will secure a -10minute time. I tend to run at about 15km/ph through the whole run.

Enjoy :D

James

9. Dodger

Dodger New Member

cheers, i thought that was the case on the treadmill, i was running at 15kph today until i gave out, will give the treadmill a rest tomoz and NYD then defo do the 2.4 in less than 10 min the day after on treadmill.

will get on mapmyrun.com now then. cheers fella.

10. Skanza

Skanza New Member

Hoping I could pop in a quick question since it's on the same topic if you don't mind! :)

Should I be moving onto running with boots maybe once a week to get used to the feeling and get my feet used to the boots?

Currently I run with trainers of course, and have never ran with boots ever.