Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RMR general questions

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Commando2912, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi all I'm currently 16 will be 17 in December and I met the RMR at my local air show and they were telling me all about it but there were a few questions I forgot to ask.

1. How fit do you have to be to join up ( I'm certainly not fit enough for the regulars just now, I can do about 10-15 push ups and sit ups but no pull ups and my cardio is probably the thing I'm best at).

2. Can you once you've finished RMR training transfer to the regulars without having to do 32 weeks of training.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Lukazade1755

Lukazade1755 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Were you at the Scottish Air Show by any chance?

If you're serious about joining start practicing your running, press ups, sit ups and pull ups now. It's worth having a look at a few videos on YouTube for the correct form etc. If you get as far as the interview stage you will probably be asked how quickly you can complete the PJFT and if your time isn't good enough your application will be delayed until such a time when it has improved. The sooner you apply the more time you can spend in holding troop prior to attending a PRMC(R) which is advantageous if you need to work on your fitness.

You need to do the full 32 weeks if you want to switch to regular. Have a look into Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) which may appeal to you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yes it was the Scottish air show.

I'm sure I heard one of the reserves say they were at uni and they were in the reserves until they had finished uni then they were going to transfer over to the regulars but they said you don't need to do all the 32 weeks again you just transfer over.

4. Lukazade1755

Lukazade1755 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I think that has been the case in the past but not at this present moment in time. I could be wrong though as I'm only in a holding troop with RMR Scotland, barely with a foot in the door, so by no means an expert.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What's holding troop?

6. Lukazade1755

Lukazade1755 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Once you've passed your medical you can attend drill nights at your local detachment, maybe twice a month, where they will prepare you for your PRMC(R). Once you've passed it you will stay in holding troop until training commences. I think you start getting paid once you've passed it - enough to cover travel costs anyway.

You basically get a taste of what is to come and get absolutely beasted by a PTI. Followed by a reality check and you might even whitey -vomit- Good fun though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Is the reserve prmc any different from the regular prmc?

8. Lukazade1755

Lukazade1755 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Next PRMC(R) for RMR Scotland is at the end of November.

9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Firstly, why choose RMR over Regulars?

You need to pass a PJFT, and a PRMC(R). It’s not easy but you can work on fitness. If you want it bad enough you will do it. It won’t happen overnight.

And no. You will need to pass the 32 weeks again.

The RMR is an active branch of the Military. It is not a jolly and it is not an “easy way” or a “backdoor” in. You will not find it any easier to join RMR.

My view is that RMR is for Ex Regulars or Older lads with established Careers or self employed.
    It’s a huge commitment, and I would recommend any young lad to consider the Regulars over the RMR. Don’t fall for the “best of both worlds” line.

It’s a huge commitment and it takes a lot of your time.

If you are ex regular, you can walk into RMR. Unless you have been out for more than 5 years, where you will be placed in phase 1b of Recruit training but won’t have to do the Commando Course again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It’s not any easier, if that’s what you are wondering. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Currently my situation is I'm just leaving school and I want to have a job to gain some experience but I was hoping to join the reserves as I've always wanted to join the marines so that I can have a job and be in the marines at the same time but the reserves I met at the air show told me once your a fully trained reserve you can transfer over to the regulars without doing all the training again.

12. posh_punter

posh_punter Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    They were probably talking about doing a Full Time Reserve Service stint, which would be 1-2 years. Our USM said that quite a few blokes who have done this, have been able to make it permanent and join the regs full-time if they wanted to.

13. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So I either can or can't transfer to the regulars or not? I need to know *text deleted* if I can transfer I'll join but if I can't I'll wait longer till I join the regulars

14. posh_punter

posh_punter Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    There's the chance to go regs, but it's not guaranteed and depends on demand for blokes at that point in time. RMR also takes about 18 months + 6 months of admin, holding troop and training for PRMC beforehand, so it's a much longer path than going through regular training. You wouldn't want to go through RMR training with the aim of going regs afterwards - just go regs instead.

15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Why not just join the regulars? What job were you thinking of getting?

RMR is not an easy route in. It’s the same Commando Tests.

It seems like you are lacking confidence, if you knuckle down and train for it, you can achieve it.
    Remember the RMR has a job to do, it’s not a jolly and its not for people to “get experience”.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I just got an email from the Glasgow RMR detachment and the SNCO said you can choose if you want to redo training or you can transfer over to a regular unit. I will be applying to the RMR soon!

17. JTech

JTech Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If you want to transfer to regulars so bad, just join the regulars ?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I feel that I am to young to devote my full life to the marines just now the reserves is a good way to ease into it while doing the same things the regulars do

19. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    No. If you transfer into the Regulars you have to compete Recruit training again.

As an RMR trained rank, you can deploy with Regular Marine Units. But you return to your RMR unit.

The RMR has a job to do and it isn’t a Jolly or a free for all, or work experience.

You don’t need to devote your whole life to the Marines, you can leave after 4 years.
    RMR don’t always do “the same things” your Recruit training for RMR is a high commitment and you will take longer as RMR to complete training.

You have to remember, the RMR is not an easy way in, or a backdoor. It’s still a high commitment. And if you do deploy as an RMR rank with Regulars, you face more scrutiny on your skills and drills as RMR ranks are viewed as having lesser standards of training or training that might not be up to date tactics.

You will be held to the same physical standards as Regulars and complete the same tests in the same timings, and a lot of the time needed to train for fitness, will be your own time.

Either way, knuckle down and get the phys cracked and you can achieve it. And keep us updated.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Right, I have made my choice... I am going regulars purely for the fact that the reserves wasn't what I thought it was. I've always wanted to go regulars but it's been just over the past week I thought I'd go reserves and transfer over but that's not *text deleted* happen anymore. Anyway I'm going to apply for the regulars early next year and in the meantime is there any tips on my fitness should I be smashing it 6 days a week just now or just easing into it. Ps if there is any training plans anyone could post here that would be great!