RMR; Holding Troop T Shirt

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by SDG1986, Dec 26, 2016.

1. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Quick query guys, out of interest, are Holding Troop T Shirts still issued?

....Going back a few years, a lad I was at uni with, was with RMR Leeds Holding Troop and had one.

Many thanks

Steve

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

As they are not official items of uniform, I guess it depends on stocks purchased by individual units.

I''ve not heard of tee-shirts being issued to those passing the regular service PRMC in recent times - unless anyone knows different?

There often seems to be a bit of a taboo with regard the wearing of any kit with the words Royal, Marines and Commando emblazoned upon it, even if preceded by the word 'potential' or followed by the word 'recruit', particularly for those who haven't at that point successfully completed selection.

Not seen any recently with 'holding troop' or Zeebrugge Troop or similar recently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Many thanks Ninja; not that I'd be looking at wearing it down the shops, my query was more related to what PT kit is worn during Holding Troop nights. Based on the above, I assume it's just your own civvi kit.

4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

I hope that lad wasn't wearing his t shirt to uni stuff? PERSEC my dear boy!

PERSEC!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

University gym I'm afraid!

6. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I thought all the reserves for anything in Leeds had tighter/tougher rules for persec?

7. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Quite possibly tightened up since 2007. May have just been a particularly rebellious nod...

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

I'm years out of date but generally those serving (mostly) avoided wearing apparel with unit logos and references in public. The exception was perhaps something thrown on for running a quick camp circuit or for dhobi.

Those aspiring to military careers are more likely to be seen wearing such rig in a civilian environment. Funnily enough, the need to wear tee-shirts with military references seems to return for some when they leave the service. Not for me, I hasten to add.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

So Holding Troop is just own civvi PT kit?

Many thanks

Steve

10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Kindly inform him to Stop being a toilet.

PERSEC is not a dirty word.

Crevice is a dirty word.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    A lad who I pre-prmc trained with drank out of a "Royal Marines Commando" drinks bottle, to remind everybody he was joining the marines.

He went to prmc and failed the bft.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

The whole issue has always been a bit murky and unclear in my book, with regard what is acceptable and what is not.

I'm tempted to start a separate thread on this topic so we can hopefully weave our way through the minefield of what constitutes ambition and what veers into the realms of 'waltdom'. The OP was merely asking if Holding Troop teeshirts were still issued, nothing more, nothing less.

For starters, people get it wrong on many levels: From within the Corps, government, Navy and the MoD, so how the hell a young aspirant is meant to know is certainly far from clear.

The rough rule of thumb, I reckon, is wearing clothing or badges on clothing which may indicate or suggest the wearer is a trained rank Royal Marine, is off limits to those who aren't yet. Nothing to do with superstition, it's just not really on, even if only intended as a tribute.

A little while back the higher echelons within the Corps gave permission via the MoD for a retail clothing chain to use the Royal Marines Commando badge as a fashion logo on womens clothing. It caused ructions in some circles. At the time, women were ineligible to join as a Royal Marines Commando and the clothing chain was also donating money to the Royal Marines Benevolent Trust, so the 'outrage' caused was not evenly felt across the Corps. Some agreed with the logic applied, some felt aggrieved.

Again, a few years back, AFCOs were given black teeshirts with the Royal Marines Commando dagger and logo printed on the left breast to give to Royal Marine Commando applicants by way of incentive as a bit of phys clothing. You can imagine how trained ranks felt about that one!

On the flip side, AFCOs get given promotional 'gizzits' such as pens, pencils, beanie hats, water bottles, insulated mugs, baseball caps with the RM Commando logo on them to raise 'brand awareness' in schools and colleges by way of subliminal advertising. (Before you even ask, no I haven't got any, so sod off ;) ). To me, they're OK. To others, they probably aren't.

Going off on a tangent, a colleague of mine, a Royal Marines Musician had an SBS mug, given to him by an oppo who worked in Poole. It was an 'internal' advertising/promotional 'gizzit', the phone numbers on it could only be dialed on a MoD networked telephone, in any case. Guess what? Yep, it was pinched by some clown working in the same building, goodness knows why, it was a cup, that's all, he wasn't pretending to be in the Special Band Service or anything.

13. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

It's even frowned upon for new lads who rock up at a unit and cover themselves in either Royal Marine themed clothing or Tattoos!! A very good a simple description came from my lad. "You don't go getting RM tatts or wear Commando Tshirts until your a Bootneck." I said, "you are, aren't you???" "no" he said, your not a Bootneck until you've got a couple of years experience behind you.

That's the sort of unwritten rules been given to him by the senior FSG lads. Weather it's common throughout the Corps?? I really wouldn't know??

14. cc1

cc1 Royal Marines Commando

Why would you even want a t-shirt like that let alone wear one?

The rules are unwritten but they are fundamentally simple:

If commuting to work in PCS = Put a civvy top on over your rig (if required to leave vehicle for whatever reason = civvies!)
    If commuting from work = civvies.
    If commuting between places of work as part of work = Civvy top on.
    If commuting between places of work IN a work vehicle = PCS acceptable.

RM badged clothing off camp = Visibility team / Display team / work events / troop phys only.

Anything else is just cringeworthy and deserves ridicule. It completely disregards a fundamental pillar of the Corps Ethos: Humility (aka. Quiet, understated professionalism). If you feel the need to advertise to the whole world that you're a Royal Marine whilst you're still not even a Royal Marine then you need to have a word with yourself.

EDIT: Corps tattoos... You'll know the right time to get one because you'll just know...

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  15. Ninja_Stoker

I fully agree with the humility angle and the badged clothing. Tattoos of any description are, of course, down to individual taste as well, notwithstanding inadvertant results arising from spoof.

Where it is difficult is trying to promote the profile of the Corps for recruitment purposes whilst keeping all parties satisfied. The logo is hugely respected. A standard, mundane pen with the dagger logo suddenly become the cool 'must have' in schools and colleges. We even get to the stage where we find ourselves vetting the quality of the product underneath the badge. If it is a cheap and nasty, we don't want it badged.

The RAF, needless to say, are past masters at promotional marketing merchandise - they only use quality stuff. I've seen them give badged & boxed Maglite torches and even badged Berghaus fleeces to students on public services courses, etc. The everything or nothing angle is the one that probably works best for recruiting.

The promotional bit I touched on earlier relates to UKSF also. We don't advertise it at all, barely even admit they exist. This arguably has the knock-on effect of strangling recruiting from within the service later on. Obviously it isn't a direct entry branch and whilst the air of mystique certainly tantalises and entices civilian enquirers, the rebuff "You'll find out about it, IF you get through Royal Marines training..." doesn't particularly come across as humility, unfortunately. It veers into "99.99% need not apply" territory which, although it inspires many, is statistically more likely to deter rather than recruit.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chelonian

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that for some the amount of 'outrage' was directly proportional to the beauty of the woman wearing the branded clothing. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

I fully understand the sentiment and the respect afforded to those with more service experience. At the same time, those telling those that follow they aren't a Bootneck until they have at least a couple of years experience probably only have precisely two years experience themselves.

A few years back, within a couple of years, the average Royal had completed a full-on Herrick tour. Nowadays there will be many who have served twice that and not heard a shot fired in anger but it makes them no lesser a Bootneck. The standard of training is such they can be Kings Squad one week and literally deployed into an operational combat zone the next. Yes, they will hone their skills, but they are certainly 'fit for purpose' upon pass out.

I remember when I joined the Navy, a lad who joined a week before me, called our class (troop equivalent) 'sprogs'...until he got decked and had a rethink;)

• Like Like x 7
  18. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yes indeed, absolutely right!! time served as a trained rank and operational experience do not make you any less worthy at all. The situation, is only viewed from a new lad recently passed out. Weather it's right or wrong, is something I have absolutely no right to say.

There will, I suppose always be those who have served a few years(or less) thinking they are better or more worthy than someone who hasn't.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chelonian

I agree that it is often the blokes with, say, a year or two's service who are most sensitive about their place in the pecking order. The more senior blokes are often more relaxed because they don't feel the need to prove anything. Just a personal opinion though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. westy

westy Active Member

A few years ago, I went to an open evening event at the Honorable Artillery Company and 21 SAS had a stall, I still have a UKSF(R) pen that's never seen the light of day!!