Rmr london - Henley det

Rmrmurph

Reaction score
Planning on starting an application for the reserves soon and Henleys my local detachment.

Does anyone know if it's possible to attend holding troop whilst in the application process?

I've heard you can do the PJFT at some units is this the case at Henley?

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Planning on starting an application for the reserves soon and Henleys my local detachment.

Does anyone know if it's possible to attend holding troop whilst in the application process?

Thanks

Not sure about Henley Det, but most RMR units only have one intake a year and a couple of selection weekends (PRMRC) preceded by a holding troop to help prepare for the PRMRC.

For most units the recruit troop starts in October with holding troops starting around March for the May PRMRC and May/June for the September PRMRC. You don't need to join a holding troop and don't get paid until you pass PRMRC & are enrolled but the way to look at holding troops is they are basically free gm membership with a nice friendly(ish) personal trainer to help you reach your goal. Whether your local Det is "in sync" with other units I'm not sure but you're possibly a bit late to meet this years RMR Recruit Troop, I'd guess. Then again - if you don't ask, you don't get!

Give it a shot to get the ball rolling and good luck!

spc_449

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Not sure what the deal is at Henley, but at London they want you to do your PJFT through Nuffield Health. That said, if absolutely everything else in your application is in order, but you can't get a PJFT date in time for PRMC, then they'll get a PTI to administer the PJFT at the det.

Good luck!

Judge_Bread

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Selection weekends are twice a year in May and October, Holding starts in Feb/March and it's designed to prep your for Selection. If you're putting your application in now then you should aim to get in at the start of next year unless you absolutely know that you're ready for PRMC.

There are only 2 Phys nights left now though before the last Selection weekend if you were to speed your app through.

Rmrmurph

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll be aiming for May selection by the looks of it want to be confident ill pass first time.

Went down the careers office this morning and have got a number to book a presentation.

Anyone got any tips on treadmill running? Can crack the return outside well within time but struggling with the treadmill. Cheers

Judge_Bread

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just get on the treadmill mate, I'm good at road running but the treadmill is more like hopping to keep off the machine so it's a weird adjustment. Go to your local gym and do a hill interval program or something similar on a treadmill for half an hour, you'll get good at treadmill running and it's also a good workout so that's 30 minutes well spent.

Try that once or twice a week along with your other training.

Judge_Bread

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Eventually just start doing PJFT as well when you get good on treadmill, best way to prep for it is by doing the test itself.

spc_449

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll be aiming for May selection by the looks of it want to be confident ill pass first time.

Went down the careers office this morning and have got a number to book a presentation.

Anyone got any tips on treadmill running? Can crack the return outside well within time but struggling with the treadmill. Cheers

Just heard that there'll probably be another PRMC this December for RMR London (which includes Henley). Those who pass will start training in January 2014. Smash the phys now and give it a go! Worse case scenario: you try again in the spring.

As for dreadmills, take a gander at this: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/health-fitness/53274-right-treadmills.html. I had a similar experience to you and hated treadmills. I tried doing what he says, by shortening my stride and upping my cadence, and found it very helpful.

Rmrmurph

Reaction score
Great to hear thanks mate, would be awesome to have a start date for the new year, I'll give the shorter strides ago in the morning see how it goes.

Thanks

AndrewD1

Reaction score
Am at henley det, only done presentation and is fine. We are down there from 7:30 tomorrow night and every Tuesday and weekend just gone was the last selection weekend. I thought you had to attend the presentation before going holding troop but may be wrong