RMR London

chargibb99

Reaction score
Hello all, after some advice about joining the RMR.
I have decided to go down the RMR route due to various other courses I can access at the moment (currently studying for a Psychology degree through the OU, also trying to become a DofE leader and other things) and have recently been dealt a naff hand of suspected “severe muscular inflammation” in both my shins (I set up a previous post detailing this) however I feel this has subsided enough for me to just crack on and deal with the amount of pain it’s giving me, the long term goal is worth the pain anyway! I will be medically cleared in 3 weeks time, and have passed interview etc. The unit I am looking at is RMR London (pourtsmouth), my question is will I be able to get through the application quick enough for September, and is holding Troop necessary? I am at a military preparation college with two former RM at the moment. If not does anyone have any idea when the next recruit Troop is post September?

Apologies for the long thread, I will be going into my local AFCO on Monday to ask but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas first

storms101

Reaction score
There is a lot of guys who are studying as well as persuing a career in the RMR.

Next troop will start in August. A new troop will start every 12 months.

Holding troop will be nessasary to get out of the ‘civvy’ mentality when it comes to phys, also alows you to interact with guys who are already in training so they will be able to give you a heads up on what training is like and how to prepare.

Holding troop also gives you an opportunity to see lads from your troop and start building good friendships which you will need when your training starts.

If I was you I’d bag off the DofE stuff if it’s going to get in the way of RMR, but if you feel like you will be able to do it then go for it.

Message me if you have any questions.

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah, what storms101 said. Pass PRMC as soon as possible, then you start getting paid for attending holding troop too.

chargibb99

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies gents, I’ve talked to my AFCO and it appears I was incredibly misinformed with regards to what holding troop actually entailed! My application is now changed and I’ve been told I can start attending in 3 weeks when I’m medically cleared. I’m still trying to get over this as I was expecting another Years deferral for certain medical issues! My AFCO told me the next PRMC was September however I may try and get on a regular PRMC if there are slots avaliable

Once again thank you for the help, I’ll probably make more posts as I progress anyway!

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
That's not true about the PRMC, there's an opportunity in March and then in June - if you can't make these, you can get on a regular one potentially as well. Start smashing the phys and crack on!