Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Featured RMR Mobilisation Wage Match Question

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by 19971997, Mar 3, 2019.

  1. 19971997

    19971997 New Member

    Mar 3, 2019
    App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi all,

    I read that if I was to apply and successfully join the Royal Marines Reserve, my civilian wage would be matched while I'm deployed for up to 6 months.

    This is all well and good if you are employed and salaried, but being self-employed my pay varies monthly. Some months are awful, some average and others amazing - would this pay also be matched on average? (Take the past 2 or 3 years salary and get a monthly average?).

    This is presuming the RMR would match wages for those who are self-employed!

    Thank you in advance.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker Admin

    Jul 10, 2007
    It only applies if you are subject to compulsory mobilisation.

    Your approximate annual income, if self employed, is probably best if based on your most recent self-assessments submitted to HMRC.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker Admin

    Jul 10, 2007
    Financial support for reservists
    If you’re called up for service you can claim financial support to cover:
    • the difference between your civilian pay and your service pay
    • the cost of any benefits in kind your employer stops
    The total amount you can claim is £400 a day.

    (If you’re serving as a medical consultant with the defence medical services, you can claim twice that amount).

    Company benefits
    You can claim for benefits normally provided by your employer, including:
    • health insurance or medical care
    • life insurance
    • education fees for dependent children
    • accommodation
    If you have to return a company car that’s used by your partner (eg husband or wife), children or dependent relatives, you can claim £10.70 a day (around £325 a month).

    Pension contributions
    While you’re mobilised you can either:
    • ask for the days you’re mobilised to count towards the Armed Forces Pension Scheme
    • keep contributing to your personal or work pension (the Ministry of Defence will pay your employer’s contributions)
    If you’re self-employed
    If you’re self-employed, a partner or a company director, you can claim for:

    • the difference between your service pay and earnings from your business
    • up to £2,000 business costs from stopping trading
    • agency fees and advertising for finding and training your replacement
    Expenses you can’t claim
    You can’t claim for expenses that you were already paying before you were mobilised. For example, you can’t claim for:
    • care of a dependent child or relative
    • care of a pet
    • house insurance
    • maintenance on your home
    How to claim
    Employees get instructions about how to claim in the mobilisation pack.

    If you’re self-employed, a partner or a company director, use the claim form for employers

    When to claim
    You can claim any time after your service begins and up to 4 weeks after it ends.

    Appeal a rejected claim
    You can appeal if your claim is turned down.
  4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

    ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

    Jul 20, 2015
    Self employment is a slightly different beast.

    While all the above is absolutely bang on info, the reality is it doesn’t quite work out like that and you would have to prove your income, and other things that are vital to a business to run aren’t taken into account.

    If the RMR can wriggle out of paying you something, they will.
    Lads have had previous experience of not getting paid their true amounts. Hopefully we can get a decent thread/post made up with a more realistic view of what happens.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chelonian

    Chelonian Moderator

    Aug 10, 2010
    At the very least anyone self-employed and liable for compulsory mobilisation should research and prepare evidence of income and expenditure which might be outside of the standard required by HMRC.
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker Admin

    Jul 10, 2007
    By happy coincidence I was at a meeting this weekend and it covered topics such as this, and I specifically raised this issue in light of the upcoming annual RMR mobilisations and feedback from this forum stating there were issues (I've edited-in the appeal process, above)

    It is recognised this will become a prominent issue and it was pointed out that the RNR will also probably be subjected to compulsory mobilisations once they are required to provide up to 50% manning for the Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) in the respective UK regions. The OPV's, for those interested, are utilised in UKSF covert ops, on occasion and are also used for RM boarding ops historically.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker Admin

    Jul 10, 2007
    Absolutely agree.

    The RMR, as oft stated is there to operationally augment the regular Royal Marines and it is vitally important that those joining, do so with their eyes wide open, fully aware that they can be operationally deployed (ideally with around 3 month's notice, but sometimes less in times of crisis). The days of RMR trained ranks working overseas for years on end but nominally "on the books" may well be reviewed.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker Admin

    Jul 10, 2007
    Apply to delay or cancel mobilisation

    You can apply to delay or cancel mobilisation: as a reservist, if you’re called up at a difficult time (eg you’re caring for someone or you’re in full-time education) as an employer, if it would seriously harm your business (eg by causing financial harm or making it difficult to produce goods or provide services)

    You can apply to: defer mobilisation for up to a year - you’ll get a new date to report for duty get an exemption for a year or more - you won’t be called out again until it expires cancel (revoke) mobilisation if you’ve already been mobilised Deadline for applying Reservists and employers must apply within 7 days of getting the call-out notice.

    If you miss this deadline, you’ll have to get permission from the adjudication officer to make a late application. If your application is unsuccessful you can appeal (https://www.gov.uk/appeal-call-up-reserve-forces).

    Who to contact

    If you’ve already been mobilised contact your commanding officer.

    To apply to delay or cancel mobilisation, contact one of the following: the person named in the notice the adjudication officer at the mobilisation centre the adjudication officer for the relevant service.

    You can apply in writing by email, post or fax.

    email: navylegal-reservesadjso2@mod.uk
    post: Royal Navy and Royal Marines Adjudication Officer West Battery (MPG-2) Whale Island Portsmouth PO2 8B
    Fax: 02392 628 660

    Royal Navy and Royal Marines Adjudication Officer West Battery (MPG-2) Whale Island Portsmouth PO2 8B. Telephone queries: 02392 628 858