Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

rmr options

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by dewalt2001, Jun 21, 2019.

1. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi just wanted to ask what do you do after you pass out as a reserve is there many different opportunities or paths you could go down or pretty much the same for everyone?

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Is the 12 days and 14 days the minimum training you do or is there an option to do more?

3. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

The RMR usually train on one evening a week, one weekend a month and undertake an annual 2-week continuous training course. The RMR is very much a force for use, and all ranks have the opportunity to serve with the Regular Corps around the world, on exercise or operations. You can’t start missing weeks in trg. The wastage is high.

Joining the RMR requires huge effort and commitment on your part. Initial training helps you to develop yourself physically, grow in confidence and acquire skills of considerable benefit back in the workplace. As Commandos, members of the RMR learn increasingly challenging military skills and survival techniques in environments as diverse as the jungle and the arctic. So there is plenty of ex’s & opportunities to work with regs. You need to stay on top of your skills and training.

Obviously once in you can do and are often encouraged to attend more than your minimum requirement.

@Ninja_Stoker, @CHUB! or @The guide can give you the official gen.

4. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    In the rmr do you do the same stuff as regulars or are reserves used for the bad or boring stuff ? Are you viewed differently to the others as you haven’t done the 32 weeks in lympstone? Thanks

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Just to add to the above, talking to my local RMR unit Recruiting C/Sgt recently, he reckons in future those joining the RMR will remain GD riflepersons (See what I did there?) unless they transfer across with an SQ from the regular RM.

If that's the case, presumably the only SQ available for RMR OR's will be UKSF(R).

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. THOR

THOR New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Would there be any movement on that based off civilian career. For example, as a Merchant Navy Marine Engineer would I be able to go into LC, given the transferable skill set?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

LC involves seamanship/boat-handling/navigation rather than Marine Engineering (I'm a Marine Engineering mechanic myself). I'd say VM is closer to ME.

I've not seen anything official yet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

I couldn’t keep a straight face at that...

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  9. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

As a regular I deployed once.

As a reservist I have deployed multiple times operationally. I’ve deployed with regular UKSF elements as part of a joint task force. The training packages I’ve attended have been fantastic.

I have also had the opportunity to deploy on exercise in the USA, Canada, Belize, Kenya & Norway.

Not bad for reserve service eh...

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  10. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Yeah but let’s face it mate- you are clearly one of those weird “special” types that enjoys lying awkwardly in spiky gorse bushes, with twigs, leaves and broken branches scraping and scoring your ball sack.:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I went to Sennyfridge once.. and the minibus driving seat is perfectly formed to my fat *text deleted*...

Just a glorified nod taxi driver....

;)

• Like Like x 2