Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Rmr or sas(r)

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by pick1, Mar 3, 2020.

1. pick1

pick1 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hi trying to come to a decision on what reserve unit to try for. Have read good and bad on both but less information on 21. My goal is to become the best I be so any advice on what path to take and info on both units would be appreciated. Thanks

2. rkec

rkec Valuable Contributor

First quick question pal, is 21 reg possible for you?

Is there a 21 detachment near you?

3. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Out of interest what is the bad?

what do you want to be the best at? Best at being a chef, LC, AE, operator or .... ? I wont give you the “learn to walk before you run” as I don’t want to quash your dreams and believe they are healthy.

now with the “negative” bits out of the way, my 10pence worth - which might be out of date -

21 SAS - were removed from the UKSF umbrella because they were not deemed to be doing a full SF role. Also, their test standards were slightly lower. As I say validate as this might have changed. Plus side you can be a civvie and walk into it.

RMR - does have its draw backs and does have its advantageous... as they say - proffers and dippers. Cliche but you get out what you put in.

if you’re aiming to be the best of the best (R) feels to me you have left out the most obvious:
    SBS(R) - I want to say Z squadron but could be barking up the wrong tree. You can only be recruited from an active military role. The tests were (guessing still are) to the same standard as the Regular service and they held onto the UKSF status as they operate alongside and carry out the same taskings as the regular operators. They also did an extra phase of training - compared to SAS(R)

There are also other options within RMR that give you a little more spice, but as they aren’t discussed on this forum I would leave that as a need to know - sorry.

I think you need to ask yourself - what can I give, what commitment am I willing to give and what do I truly want.

happy to share my knowledge (which might be out of date) in a DM

• Like Like x 2
  4. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

21 is a reserve unit 22 is the regular unit.

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Great post to link to.

I was wrong the “spicy” things are mentioned on this forum - in that thread in the guise of HUMINT/ Op Sampson. I don’t think you will get many questions answered on these - from people in the know anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Both RMR and UKSF (R) are time intensive and will require a high degree of commitment.

21/23 SAS (R) do accept civilian candidates and all initial information is available on the Army website & via the link @Chelonian posted. Pending confirmation from @Reserve I think 21/23 still qualify for SF pay despite not falling under UKSF remit.

SBS (R) does not accept applications from direct civilian entrants. SBS (R) is no longer limited to RM/RMR ranks- they are a tri service unit but do require applicants to be a serving trained rank reservist.

8. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

You are right they definitely did retain the pay. I have a feeling it was timeframed but not 100% sure. Like you say others can confirm

• Like Like x 1
  9. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

21/23 being within 1 ISR Bde does not change their training standard under NATO SOF grading apparently. So oddly it is possible to still be Special Forces outside of the group.

The OP needs to research the different roles and think about what he wants from joining as a reservist. Horses for courses.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Because UKSF (R) is constrained by stringent disclosure rules it is understandably reluctant to discuss the specific or even general roles of units. This might change but I understand that holding one's breath waiting for the change would be unwise. Which suggests that the best way to research the UKSF (R) units which do accept Direct Civilian Entrants is to make a formal expression of interest via one of the channels mentioned in the links.

In the case of SAS (R) once an expression of interest has been received the potential applicant will be promptly contacted by a member of the SAS (R) recruitment team to gather further information.

It really is 'old skool' research just to get a better overview of role than that published on the official website and liabilities. It can't be done via a few taps and swipes on a device but involves investing time and effort. I guess that for a serious candidate it's surely worth the effort.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Reserve

Reserve Royal Marines Commando

Information on SAS (R) can be found by clicking here.

21 & 23 SAS units are located across the UK. To contact your nearest location, use the listed telephone points of contact or emails on the webpage.

Applicants must be able to commit to intense and extended training demands and be willing to deploy overseas and commit to operations. SF (R) operate in difficult and often changing circumstances, where the requirement for maturity and sound judgement is paramount.

The Selection Course for SAS (R) runs twice a year. It is both physically and mentally demanding and comprises of three main components, Hills Preparation, Aptitude and the Standard Operating Procedures and Tactics Course (SOPTAC).

These three phases are run back to back and place considerable demands on an applicant’s time. Training generally takes place every other weekend with weekly attendance at drill nights for classroom-based training.

Aptitude and SOPTAC assessment exercises are both 14 days in duration. 21 & 23 SAS ranks qualify for SF Pay. On badging, the starting daily rate for a SF (R) rank is approximately £110, plus all the usual Reserve service incentives.

• Like Like x 2
  12. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Would it be reasonable to assume that SBS(R) is the same as or follows closely the same format as SAS(R), with the exception that the unit is only based in Poole?

• Seen Seen x 1
  13. Reserve

Yes. Both share a common initial pathway.

14. Rover

Rover Moderator

Not forgetting the following......

SBS (R) does not accept applications from direct civilian entrants. SBS (R) is no longer limited to RM/RMR ranks- they are a tri service unit but do require applicants to be a serving trained rank reservist.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  15. pick1

pick1 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Before attempting selection it says you will need to complete basic military training courses phase 1 and 2, would you do this at your unit or do you have to join a different reserve unit before attempting selection?

• Seen Seen x 1
  16. Reserve

You will be managed via the Sqn you apply with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Grey man

Grey man Royal Marines Commando

Most roles will ask you to aim for 27 days a year whereas UKSF (R) ranks regularly attend in excess of 50 days a year once badged. Notwithstanding those on FTRS/attachments.

The selection process is a significant time commitment but be aware life in a SF (R) Sqn can be taxing too. All SF (R) squadrons are high readiness and operational units.

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  18. Grey man

Grey man Royal Marines Commando

It is effectively 1 on 1 off. There are sometimes gaps etc but the general rule is 2 weekends per month as a minimum to fulfil expectations for trained SF (R) ranks.

But who knows what you will get up to?

989447CC-4490-40D4-BA5B-73341F15C4B8.jpeg

B389DFC3-27B4-4814-B0B5-6E2A6DF5B57A.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  19. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Something I think the RMR (and certain elements of the UKSF (R) ) model has right is the implementing and maintaining of standards as close to their regular counterparts as possible. All supported by high quality regular staff.
    It all leads to better performance, reputation and thus integration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  20. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Haha!

Have you worked with RMR at all?!

None of that post is true. Morale is firmly in the toilet and Management is terrible.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree. Disagree. x 1