Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Rmr or sas(r)

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by pick1, Mar 3, 2020.

1. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

Absolute Screamers.

On topic:

Worked alongside both RMR and 21 on herrick 9.

The RMR lads weren’t treated any differently to regs.

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. pick1

pick1 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks for all the information which unit would be more challenging to get into I know rmr is pretty similar to regs anyone know if this is the same for 21 is training conducted to the same standards as the regs?

• Seen Seen x 1
  3. Reserve

Reserve Royal Marines Commando

No. SAS (R) selection is run at 3 kph, regular selection is 4 kph.

SBS (R) candidates are required to adhere to the regular standard in line with their regular component.

SAS (R) & 63 (UKSF) Sig Sqn accepts Direct Civilian Entrants.

SBS(R) is open to trained ranks, serving in the Reserve Force.

Any trained reservist can now attempt regular selection direct to UKSF units. For more information see DIN.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. pick1

pick1 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Is this a new thing? Is there a minimum time to be served as a trained rank prio to attempting selection? As 21 and 23 have to complete reservist basic training before going on selection is this the same but worded differently? Thanks

• Seen Seen x 1
  5. Reserve

Yes, relatively. Further information is marked as restricted and can be viewed by serving personnel only.

Yes, 24 months, excluding all phase 1 and phase 2 training.

Correct. SAS (R) candidates are required to complete basic military training and the Combat Infantry Course before attempting SAS Reserves Selection.

• Like Like x 3
  6. pick1

pick1 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Last question is there anything you would recommend trying to prepare for before going into it as a direct entry civilian? Is being at prmc standard of fitness a good level to be at before applying? Thanks I’m advance

7. Reserve

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Grey man

Grey man Royal Marines Commando

US Marines have a saying “everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die”

The center of bringing any dream into fruition is self-discipline. Master that and all will fall into place.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Seen Seen x 1
  9. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

What do you think?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  10. pick1

pick1 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    not sure prmc requires a good standard of fitness but is it enough? a lot of conflicting info around, looking for some level to aim for so as not to waste anyone’s time

11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Assuming that you are considering SAS (R)?
    I'm not qualified to give advice about SF stuff but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that as a starting point a Direct Civilian Entrant considering SAS (R) won't go far wrong by achieving the physical fitness standards required to pass PRMC.

I've never done a PRMC but it is clear that fitness is not enough by itself. Mental resilience, determination and a need to succeed rather than a wish is fundamental. Almost certainly the same qualities to 'dig deep' will be required during SAS (R) selection and training.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  12. Reserve

Wonderful answer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  13. Grey man

Grey man Royal Marines Commando

Hi mate, @pick1

Your ambition and interest is great. In all honesty I wouldn’t worry too much about preparation at this point. Just aim to stay healthy, get some good clean nutrition into you and follow a progressive phys plan. Phys is an amazing tool to help us feel happier, more energised, and more optimistic which isn’t a bad thing at the current time! So good on you bud.

Ideally you want develop a well rounded level of infantry fitness & robustness. No need at all to be yomping or hill work for your stage- especially since you are a civilian. Without adequate experience it is a sure fire way to injury yourself. You will want to minimise potential delays to any application you make or no shows due to injury. Yomping believe it or not is a "supervised" activity within the military which needs suitably trained (ETL, Unit PTI or above) supervisors, therefore it would be a conflict to advise unsupervised people to undertake the activity alone.

Try to target your aerobic/endurance and strength/endurance. You would be wise to work on upper body & lower limb fitness, but more along the lines of press ups, and other body weight resistance work. Sprints, steady state runs, intervals are all hoofin. Don't worry about running with weight or in boots just yet. You will be introduced to all of that in a gradual, progressive programme, no matter what branch of the forces you join.

Stay healthy mate and enjoy.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JRodwayyy

JRodwayyy Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Is it possible to transfer from sas (r) to sas regulars once fully trained?

15. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Happy to be corrected but I don’t believe so. They can however apply for regular selection.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. JRodwayyy

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    OK mate, thanks for the quick reply

• Like Like x 1
  17. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Far better qualified than I that can straighten it out. My understanding is the SF (R) is a separate qualifying course than regular joint UKSF selection. Horses for courses and all

18. JRodwayyy

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Do you know how active they are when it comes to operations and exercises

• Seen Seen x 1
  19. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

21 & 23 SAS sit within the ORBAT of 1 ISR but I suspect they will soon be returning to UKSF group, which is at the leading edge of the Army's Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance. I imagine they are kept busy but I honestly do not know. I have no experience of that brigade.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reserve

Trained ranks with 21/23 SAS can apply to attend UK Joint Special Forces Selection (regular) . They cannot simply transfer seamlessly from a reserve squadron into a regular sabre squadron. Candidates are only to be assigned to regular service from the post-aptitude phase. If they pass regular test week they are essentially on full time reserve service. From the start of the course until completion of the aptitude phase, SF candidates are to be ‘Move and Tracked’ by their parent unit. If successful they then become regular troopers. 21/23 SAS has a different operational role than that of 22 SAS.

However SBS (R) regularly train, exercise and deploy with their regular counterparts. SBS (R) provides an excellent opportunity for reservists to serve alongside regular SF. SBS (R) often fill Full Commitment (FC) appointments to fill Regular jobs that cannot be filled using Regular personnel for various reasons. The pay and conditions are broadly similar to that of Regulars. The length of the appointment varies and will be specified in the advert.

SBS (R) is tri service but due to historic close ties the majority of ranks are former Royal Marines Commandos. SBS (R) remain within UKSF group and welcome applications from any serving UK reservist who has a minimum of 24 months service.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1