RMR Pay, Bounty & Commitments

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 15, 2010.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Royal Marines Reserve Pay & Conditions

Enlistment

You initially enlist for a period of four years, unless you are under eighteen in which case you need your parents consent and sign for the period to your eighteenth birthday and then thereafter for a period of four years.

Pay
    Pay is paid monthly on or around the 14th of the month directly into your Bank or Building Society Account. The money you receive comes in the following forms:
    You receive one days pay for each day you attend in addition to Training and Travel Allowances.

? A day is a minimum of eight hours in any twenty four-hour period commencing at
    midnight (Man Training Day - MTD).
    ? If less than eight hours is worked then a proportion is paid.
    ? A Drill Night consists of 2 hours training for which you receive a quarter day's pay.
    ? A Training Weekend (WE), which normally commences on a Friday at 2000hrs and ends on Sunday afternoon, would see you paid two and a half days pay.
    ? Travel to Training - you will be reimbursed for your traveling expenses to and from your
    RMR Detachment for up to 40 miles one way.

When you attend your fourteen-day continuous training period you will be paid fourteen days pay (normally you may request to receive a proportion of your pay before you go as an advance with the balance paid to your account upon your return).
    Your rate of pay depends on stage of training and other factors, but you can expect to receive a rate of about ? 34.41 per day as a Phase 1 Recruit (April 2010 onwards).

Daily rates of pay, when serving in UK, for the first 9 years as an Other Rank Royal Marine Reservist (As at April 2010) are paid in crement levels, increasing each year, starting at level one, on the anniversary of starting:

Level 9 ?61.10
    Level 8 ?58.96
    Level 7 ?56.38
    Level 6 ?54.07
    Level 5 ?51.90
    Level 4 ?49.25
    Level 3 ?45.28
    Level 2 ?44.09
    Level 1 ?42.91

For Corporals:

Level 7 ?75.25
    Level 6 ?74.70
    Level 5 ?74.11
    Level 4 ?73.53
    Level 3 ?72.98
    Level 2 ?69.58
    Level 1 ?66.58

Bounty
    This is a tax-free lump sum paid annually to men who have fulfilled the requirements for bounty, which are:

? Attend 12 Days Non Continuous Training (NCT) (Can consist of Drill Nights or WE)
    ? Carry out 14 days Continuous Training (CT)
    ? Pass the Basic Fitness Test and Annual Personal Weapons Test
    ? Be recommended by the Commanding Officer for payment of Bounty
    ? Bounty Payments are( as of 01 April 2010)
    ? First Year ? 424
    ? Second Year ? 934
    ? Third Year ? 1443
    ? Fourth Year ? 1674

Mobilised Service - Call Out Gratuity
    Should you be called out for mobilised duty and accepted into service, you will receive a Call Out Gratuity of ?509 (as of April 2010).
    Rates of Pay - These are on a similar scale to the regular Corps

Rank / Rate Daily Rate of Pa
    Within each rank there is a small performance related incremental increase in pay for each year a person gains experience at that rank.

Types of Engagement within the RMR

The Reserve Forces Act 1996

Introduced statute that permits a more flexible use of Reserve Forces. It includes a:

? New power of call out for peacekeeping, humanitarian and disaster relief operations.
    ? New categories of Reserve.
    ? A range of safeguards for Reservists and their employers.

High Readiness Reserves (HRR)
    HRR will have volunteered, with their employers; consent to accept an increased liability to call-out. HRR are likely to have skills in short supply in the Regular and Reserve Forces.
    Sponsored Reserves who will allow some support tasks, which are currently restricted to Regular personnel, because they might need to be performed in an operational area, to be let to contract. Members of a civilian workforce could volunteer to become Sponsored Reserves thus accepting special call-out liabilities to serve in an operational area if required. Provisions also now exist to allow reservists to volunteer to undertake productive tasks other than training without being called out. This would be on either a part-time (e.g. disaster relief at home) or full-time basis (longer periods of continuous service largely superseding current need to join Regulars temporarily to serve on operations which might not justify call-out).

FTRS Engagements
    Opportunities will continue to exist for Reservists who have completed training to undertake a short service engagement to serve with the Regular Corps. This is normally for a twelve-month period but in some circumstances can be three six or nine months. On occasion it is possible for a man to transfer from FTRS to a permanent engagement, but this as with the FTRS scheme is dependent on the needs of the Corps at the time - transfers are getting few and far between due to increased manning levels.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RunningMan

RunningMan New Member

cheers ninja.. very informative article which answered a few questions i had

3. hudson96

hudson96 New Member

in the rmr dvd it says there is usually an optional phys night once a week as well, would you get paid for attending this?

many thanks

4. Dan Felix

Dan Felix New Member

Can't imagine you would be pal.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Depending on distance travelled, it's possible transport costs may be met but the way to look at it is free gym membership, heaps of training partners & a personal trainer to get you through PRMRC - something regular service joiners have to pay for themselves when preparing for PRMC.

6. Rocky5748

Rocky5748 New Member

All very true.

I would strongly recommend going if you can.

It is worth noting not all dets do it, i think it depends on how motivated the grown ups are.

7. hudson96

hudson96 New Member

Ok, thanks for the info :)

8. Grogsey

Grogsey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    What are the current rates of pay for a rmr recruit?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Same daily rate of pay as a regular service recruit- £39.70 for each full day initially, rising to around £49 after completing phase one.

10. Ben Ransom

Ben Ransom New Member

I currently live in Swindon, and the only way i'd be able to get to Bristol for the reserves nights is to catch a train there and back, would they fund for this? Its quite expensive (below £30 there and back though)

11. Ben Ransom

Ben Ransom New Member

And would you mind posting the advantages, benefits and disadvantages of being a royal marines commando reservist please? I've seen a few of your post regarding the regulars and it helped a lot!
    Thank you.

12. Ninja_Stoker

13. Ben Ransom

Ben Ransom New Member

Thank you very much! Would you mind just answering one more question, would the royal marines pay for my train expensives to and from the base? As it's my only way of getting there.

14. Nrfk21

Nrfk21 Member

I believe that includes train fare mate. I'm sure @Ninja_Stoker will confirm.

15. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

You don't do RMR for the money. Whilst you will be re-imbursed for aspects of travel it will never be the full amount. £30 for travel isn't that much when you think lads travel across Wales, come up from Cornwall to attend their "local" det.

Have a nose around the forum, as there is a lot of information on here regarding the RMR.

You can now get rail cards, but not 100% sure of the savings.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ben Ransom

Ben Ransom New Member

Also i know its weekend training, but its 1 day during the week too, do you know what day this is? i would of though friday maybe but i don't know?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Call your nearest unit & attend a presentation, there's no obligation.

It's pointless me telling you exact figures of reclaimable expenses is the geographical permutations can only be advised by your nearest unit.

Suffice to say, the vast majority of reservists are motivated by things far beyond finance. Arguably this should not be the case, but government employment in most sectors relies on the individual's patriotic motivation rather than a desire to recover costs.

It sounds completely bonkers, but a large number of reservists have a more lucrative full time job that maybe lacks the "adventure" element of serving in the Armed Forces full time & that's why they join as a Reservist.

• Like Like x 1
  18. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

This isn't the thread to be answering this question on , as I'm not a fan of threads being hijacked.

As Ninja has said the forum can help, but with rules, regulations & SOPs changing frequently the forum can only be used for guidance and the Unit is the best place to go. Although I believe the presentations are due to cease until June, but again this could be at det level and could vary.

Bristol parade on Wednsday nd there is no flexibility in this or on weekends running from Friday to Sunay (yes people ask if RMR can fit around them)

As I have said before and Ninja has re-confirmed. RMR is not done for he financial reward (unless you are a student), but for the challenge and life experiences that come with earning the green beret and your career with it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Stephen24

Stephen24 New Member

Not sure if this question has already been raised, but could someone just state how many days/weekends as a minimum a RMR has to annually serve.

Cheers.

20. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

currently:
    12 Non Continuous Training Days, which are the weekends (2.5 days)/det nights (0.25 day)
    14 Continuous training is anything 3 days or longer in duration