Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RMR Pay, Bounty & Commitments

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 15, 2010.

1. Squatmonkey

Squatmonkey Royal Marines Commando

When I went through we were given the dates of the exercises at the start of each phase 1A / 1B to give us a chance planning our lives around them. It was not set in stone however and be prepared for changes at short notice, also missing more than one weekend each phase will result in being back trooped. Person dependant I believe missing one weekend could also be a risk as well if one has not passed a training objective and the missed exercise is the last chance to pass it before going to ctc for the criteria test

Like Ninja and TPA say budget for a weekend potentially once a fortnight and you will be fine as it is mostly to this schedule or every 2 weeks, however occasionally it will vary a lot. Eg I had no exercise for about 6 weeks (spanning summer leave) and then 3 weekends in a row taken up by training

2. PotentialBootneck

PotentialBootneck New Member

Warehousing, rotating shift patterns, it’ll only clash with drill night once a fortnight but I’m pretty sure I’ll be given the time off for it

3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The whole block leave thing is a bit of an annoyance really. I don’t understand how they can justify taking that time off and expecting lads to make it up afterwards.

4. PotentialBootneck

PotentialBootneck New Member

@Ninja_Stoker when do you need to apply for to be in septembers intake? What’s the final deadline for applications?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Depends on the AFCO/RMR Unit - I'd certainly allow 3 months from application to PRMRC.

6. browner467

browner467 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    This is a bit of an open ended question so bare with me.. I know you don’t join the RMR for the money but currently I am a self employed Electrician and on-Call Firefighter. Some months in the fire service I can earn £1000, other months I only earn £300-£400.

Would it be a viable option, financially, for me to leave my job as an Electrician and join the RMR whilst continuing my career in the Fire Service?

I would like to give up on self employed due to the constant worries and stresses it brings - and I have always wanted to join the Marines but due to having a small family, I have always put it on hold.

7. Teasly

Teasly Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It all depends how much you need to earn a month to get by really but I'd personally never want to actually rely on RMR income, instead just see it as a little bonus each month.

First off, it's extremely confusing how they actually pay you and cash flow will be impossible to judge. One month you wont get paid for training sessions you attended and recevie a lot less than you expect, but the following you'll get it all at once.

Another thing I found was that at the start of training, I was spending more on equipment we were advised would help us than what I was receiving in my pay each month. It wasn't probably until Bravo until I started actually seeing some extra money!

Then there's the risk of getting injured or disliking training too, so it may be worth continuing as an Electrician for a bit until you know it's for you. We lost a fair few lads early doors due to it not being anything like they expected.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    In short? No.

Retained fire service, as you know requires a set number of hours. If you can’t manage those hours and fall short, you won’t be able to be on pager for your Nod weekends, and you ideally won’t be on call for your Drill Nights. Your retained drill nights might clash with your local RMR night.

You cannot, especially as an RMR recruit rely on RMR pay. The RMR is notoriously bad for paying the right amounts in the right time. The RMR has even gone so far as to admit “Don’t rely on RMR pay”.

Retained shouldn’t be relied on as a reliable income either, as you would know the incidents will be there one month and the next, barely anything.

Best bet? Keep the sparky trade on the go for a while, see how you get on with RMR and go from there.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  10. browner467

browner467 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks for the information chaps, I thought this would be the case. Makes me consider regs more and more.. Think it would cost me my relationship though!

11. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Birds come and go...but the corps will always love you.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  12. browner467

browner467 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Haha! She’s the mother to my little boy so she’ll always be around..