RMR Portsmouth and Joining Process

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Eafy, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Eafy

Eafy New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Morning all.

Just after a bit of information regarding the RMR Portsmouth Detachment - day of drill nights, location of drill nights, what's usually undertaken at them, etc.

Also, what's the joining process for the RMR now? Seems as if things keep changing and I want to try and understand the whole process and how long it takes to get from one stage to the next - from first registering interest to BFT, PRMC and the Commando Course.

The RN website is full of info for full-time RM, but a bit scarce on what commitments and expectations there are for the RMR.

Thanks in advance!

2. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Register interest online
    Attend presentation at local Det
    Recruiting Test
    Eye test
    Interview
    Security Clearence
    Triage Medical Assessment
    Face to face medical
    Attestation
    Holding Troop
    PRMC(R)
    Recruit Training; Phase 1 Alpha
    Recruit Training; Phase 1 Bravo
    Recruit Training; Confirmation
    Commando Tests
    Further training

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Eafy

Eafy New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the heads-up. Any idea on how long each process takes? For example, time spent in holding troop training for PRMC and then time spent in each phase of training.

4. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

You can join Holding Troop when everything above this in the list above is squared away.
    PRMC(R) is generally the end of September, with Recruit Training commencing around October.
    Taking October 2017 entry as an example, you would be looking to undertake the Commando Tests in January 2019.

A word of advice; a lot of lads gets held up at the medical stage (I did). As such, early engagement with your AFCO will give you the best chance of having all pre selection elements squared away in time.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  5. Eafy

Eafy New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers mate. Whilst in HT, what kind of things will be worked on? Will it be PT based for the most part, until PRMC(R) is squared away?

On a separate note, after the Christmas period, I'm slowly getting my fitness back up to how it was prior to the holidays (way too much alcohol, food and cigarettes) - currently I'm doing the 1.5m run; pull-ups, press-ups and sit-ups, then another 1.5m run. Would I be better off focusing on hitting 3-5m in a single go at good pace, keep it as is, or use the 1.5m at the start as a warm-up and then do intervals for the second 1.5m?

Thanks again.

6. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

PT and basic infantry skills mate; there are a couple of weekends away thrown in too for good measure.
    Regarding your phys, do a search for Arny's plan on here; it's tried and tested.

Best of luck

Steve

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. Eafy

Eafy New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Like the look of Arny's plan, but due to work commitments, I can only get in one workout a day. Therefore, I was looking at Fintan's workout - looks punishing! Plus, if I use my local football field, I can save £26 a month on the gym!

EDIT: Which will, obviously, not be used to buy beer... ;)