Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

RMR questions

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Jonja, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Jonja

Jonja Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I’m sure there are a couple of threads already on stuff like this but I haven’t been able to find anything specific other than prmrc so just seeing what to expect. What is the process between application and pass out? What can I expect to be doing on the weekends and the 2 weeks? What kit are you issued with?

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

There is plenty of threads on this but in simple terms:

PRMC is the same PRMC as regulars so you can find the information on those threads. Remember it’s a job interview.

-Application
    -Interview
    -Medical
    -Prejoining Fitness Test
    Join holding troop until;
    -PRMC
    Once passed PRMC remain in holding troop until next recruit process begins.
    -Recruit Training

Drill nights consist of phys and lectures, relevant to the next weekend.

Weekends consist of military training, phys. It’s a steep learning curve but you progress from basic administration, ironing and navigation; building up to Rifle and GPMG shoots, and excercises in the field testing the soldiering skills you have been learning.

You have a couple of long weekends for certain exercises and it is concluded with your 2 weeks RFCC (Reserve Forces Commandos Course). Where you will complete the tests.

Once you have completed this, you will be allowed to wear your Greenlid but you won’t be fully passed out as you will need to complete your live fire range packages.

Once completed then you will be an all singing and dancing Gucci greenlid legend.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. Jonja

Jonja Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Cheers for your reply @ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Am I right in thinking the weekends are one on one off?

Also I’m guessing you get given a set of boots and then you have to provide or borrow anything else you need such as a Bergen?

4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Yea it’s every fortnite. You are issued boots and you are issued everything else you need.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  5. Jonja

Jonja Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    That sounds like a lot of stuff, are you allowed to keep it at your det?

6. Aerial

Aerial Member

You should be allocated a locker at your det. You will likely need to take some kit with you back home for washing/servicing, and this is fine provided you are discrete and don’t take easily identifiable military kit on public transport etc.

You have to buy some incidentals yourself (head torches, trouser ties, sealable bags etc) but your wages should cover that.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

As above. You get storage facility’s at the det and you shouldn’t really be taking anything back home except to wash etc.

Just remember to be discreet with it in the interest of Personal Security.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

One thing that always bothered me was being told you get everything issued, but you still were expected to buy X,Y and Z.
    Your wages should be there to pay for your time, if extra kit needs to be bought then that should be covered by an allowance.

But that’s another argument for another day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Back in my day, (God that makes me feel old), we used to have a Kit Upkeep Allowance, (KUA). The trouble was that it was enough to buy, back then, 3 pints a week, so you can guess where it was spent! The other big problem was we had to buy ALL of our uniform, after the initial issue. From Blues, Lovats, boots, shirts etc. etc. The only exceptions was, strangely enough, working rig and G10, or Pusser came out with a new item of kit.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Jonja

Jonja Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    So do you get the same kit as the regs get?

• Seen Seen x 1
  11. PotentialBootneck

PotentialBootneck Well-Known Member

Just a quick one, can you attend the PTI course straight from RMR pass out? Or do you have to serve as a GDM first? Same with JCC?

12. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Good question.

I was led to believe that you have to be a JNCO to start PT3 (L/Cpl - but preferred Cpl). Unsure if this is still the case.

I’ll tag @R4Robotics @thegingerone and @ThreadpigeonsAlpha in to draw it to their attention. They’ll be in the know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Sort of.

You get the same kit, clothing, Bergan and webbing etc. As a recruit. But the RMR doesn’t have remit for issuing the new Virtus kit.

14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Probably not. As it’s a Cpls billet. But there’s various “lesser” PT qualifications that allow you to take phys sessions. Generally it’s for Senior Marines, Lcpls and Cpls. But if there’s a requirement for your Det to have one, you could find yourself on the course to help the Det.

JCC is a no as you will be bottom of the pile. You will have to prove yourself as a Marine and work your way up. It would be possible to get. L/Cpl billet first to gain experience and the training prior to JCC. But again depending on your Det, this could be a year or a good few years. The reserve JCC is 2 weeks at CTCRM.

It depends on how much of a good egg you are and what the Det requires and who already occupies that Rank at the Det.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  15. Jonja

Jonja Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Just adding on to this question out of curiosity how long does it take to get a promotion from GDM upwards in RMR compared to Regular? Guessing it’s a case of whatever the det requires and how long you’ve served?

16. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Yea it completely depends. It mostly depends on if you are a good bloke and good at your job. But yea, it’s det dependant mostly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. PotentialBootneck

Also, are we more likely to be called into FTRS after training with there being a shortfall of men in the corps?

18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Yes. The honest truth is the Corps is hanging out for blokes. And there’s a big push (whether you think that’s right or wrong) for fresh lads to take a deployment straight out of completing RMR training.

Whether that’s the correct course of action, and whether the wording of such “deployments” makes it appear it’s compulsory are debates for another day.

• Like Like x 2
  19. PotentialBootneck

Happy days! RT for RMR Mersey starts in April, so hopefully this time next year I’ll be pulled out for the ftrs...been after the regs for a while but stuff at home changed that! RMR seems to be the only way to get what I’m after! Any info on what will happen in ftrs? And do they deploy you as a ftr or is it voluntary? Also are there any overseas deployments? Is the Middle East still a deployment? Long string of questions I know! Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  20. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

It depends. There is compulsory call-ups. But they generally ask for volunteers first.

I’m mega basic terms, you “upgrade” from RMR once you have all the ticks in the boxes, fitness test and weapons handling tests up to date etc.
    You then move your gear and stuff up to your unit and the turn to with your Unit as a “normal” Marine.

For example if you were FTRS with 45 Commando, you will get your gear and stuff up there and get given accommodation up there. And you will slot into one of the Fighting Companies. And that will be you for a year, training and deploying as a Marine with them.

Middle East isn’t so much of a deployment any more, that’s more for Senioer NCOs and specific roles/trades as mentoring teams. But you never know what can happen.
    Mostly at the moment it’s Ships protection details, but as Lead Commando, you could deploy anywhere in the world.

• Like Like x 1