Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RMR - Recruitment Process & Timescale

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by ap2690, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ap2690

ap2690 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi All,

I'm new to the site and I know a lot of the below will have been asked but I'm also aware that things change from time to time so would like to be as up to date as possible.

I've always wanted to be a Marine since a young child. I'm now 28 and due to one thing and another I have not followed the path that I always aspired to. I'm not in a position in my life to pursue the regulars but have recently started to enquire about the RMR and plan to apply shortly. RMR Merseyside - Leeds detachment.

The process as I understand it (feel free to correct me)
    • Submit Application
    • Interview at AFCO
    • Eye Test
    • Medical
    • PJFT or BFT ??

• Holding Troop

• PRMC

• Alpha 1 (7 months)
    • 2 Week Course

• Bravo 2 (8 months)
    • 2 Week Course
    • Commando Tests

The top and bottom of it is that I have been informed that the only PRMC for the RMR is in Sept. I would like to know when would be a sensible time to apply and the anticipated timescales between applying/interview/medical etc. I am not at anywhere near the fitness level that will be required but have just started a strict training programme. Due to this I think that it would be sensible to apply far enough in advance to be eligible for the Sept PRMC but not too early that I'm under prepared. I think it is probably also worth mentioning that I've had asthma in the past and therefor don't expect the medical to be the quickest or smoothest process unfortunately.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated

AP2690

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome to the site.

The PJFT is now taken as a BFT (outdoor run, instead of treadmill) and is taken after joining holding troop...when you are ready.

Fitness aside, if there's going to be any delays, it's usually at the medical stage (particularly with an asthma history) & as the PRMC is currently a one hit wonder, I'd seriously apply anytime from March and no later than May, just in case.

You'll attest after passing the medical anyway, so Hooding Troop travelling expensese are covered and it should be viewed as free gym membership with a personal trainer thrown into the mix.

Best of luck.

3. ap2690

ap2690 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks Ninja, I appreciate the advice.
    Any idea how long it usually takes for your interview and medical to come through after applying?
    AP2690

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Test should be within about 2-4 weeks of submitting the application. Interview within a couple of weeks of passing the test. Face to Face Medical within about 4-6 weeks of returning the completed optician report form & medical questionnaire (ORF & MQ).

If you have a prior history of asthma, they'll want confirmation of your last inhaler prescription, a record of what medication was prescribed and when (particularly steroids), any record of hospitalisation due to breathing difficulties, whether the inhalers were prescribed for asthma or chest infections, when you came off the asthma register etc . If you provide this info from your GP at the same time as the ORF & MQ, you could save a lot of time.

5. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Hi mate, I'm in Holding Troop - Leeds Det.
    PRMCR for us will be undertken at CTC. We will all now atten a regular PRMC in May/June/July/August.
    My advice; apply now. Believe me, the medical can be an absolute nightmare. Get involved with Holding Troop as soon as possible. We have lads attending who are still going through the AFCO process. Holding Troop will not only bring your phys on, but you will also get to know the lads who you will be in training with.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Good shout.

I was chatting with the PSI's at RMR Mersey about RMR PRMCs being shifted to CTC - didn't realise this had already happened.

The good bit is the PRMCs will be consistent and more frequent, so a retake is feasible if you crash & burn.

Agree that now is a good time to apply.

7. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Thinking about it, RMR Leeds have an open evening TONIGHT (1900 I believe); if you get a wriggle on, you may be able to get booked on to it

• Like Like x 1
  8. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

I believe that's the plan; if you crash and burn in May for example, you MAY possibly get another chance before RT commences in the September, rathaer than being set back a year.

9. ap2690

ap2690 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks Again Ninja - Great info. I'm just wanting to make sure I go about it the right way and give myself the best chance of getting through the process.

10. ap2690

ap2690 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers SDG1986 - I know mine is going to be. I know my phys is no where near at the moment and obviously the training and standard s are extremely high but i'm confident that I can get myself to the level required as I'm very determined. The main issue for me is going to be the medical.

As for the the open night tonight, I actually attended the "meet the marines" last week which was extremely useful and informative. I was informed that tonight will be a very similar affair but with more attendees so perhaps not worth repeating, however I'm only about 1h15-1h30 away and more than happy to jiggle a few things around if it will help

11. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

PM me with you location mate; I'm a similar distance away, and wondering if you are anywhere near me.

If you've already attended, then tonight, as you say, may be a similar affair, so little point.

12. Hoofin

Hoofin Commando Officer

As soon as you know you are considering it apply. So in your case sounds like yesterday the process can be long. As noted Leeds have an open day tonight so speak to the AFCO today and get along to it.

13. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I applied on the 17th january, got my recruit/phycometric test on the 12 february ie yesterday and passed, got some medical forms to fill out and now ive got my interview booked for the 20th of february, so just over a month since i applied ive already got my interview and I'm hoping to get it all done so i can get on the prmc at the very end of april.

14. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi chaps, I'm in the process of applying for RMR and my local det is Leeds. Please feel free to PM me and maybe we can sort out lifts/training tips etc?

p.s. @Ninja_Stoker: The CSgt at the open evening I attended said that RMR could seamless transfer into RM with no requirement for restarting recruit training. I asked if this was a new policy, his answer was that due to expected under-staffing figures, the RM was opening up to the RMR like never before. Any truth to this or is he just trying to sweeten up the deal? (I'm facing redundancy in c.12-24 months so conversion to the regulars is appealing if possible at a later date).

All the best!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Not heard, but equally, quite possible - it used to be the case, certainly.

I'll do a bit of digging over the coming week to see what's occuring, I'm at RMR Mersey next week anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks @Ninja_Stoker !

The staff also mentioned the PJFT. I thought this had been scrapped, but perhaps some detachments still do this to ensure potential recruits have the entry level fitness required?

I’m keen to join holding troop and work on my phys and make use of the gym and PTI, does this also vary by region as to when you are invited to train with them? I’m presuming pass medical, pass interview, attest and then holding troop, waiting for PRMC(R)?

All the best, Avante

17. Teasly

Teasly Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm currently in RMR training and approaching Alpha Course in a couple of weeks and I've been debating whether to join regulars or not for some time now. I spoke to the WO1 of my detachment for some advise and he confirmed much the same. He advised to complete RMR training, sign up to a mobilisation or FTRS and then transfer over from there. He said much the same about the regulars being so under staffed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks @Teasly !

At least the same message is being given out, just need Ninja to verify it for us :)

My plan has always been RMR training and then FTRS but if you can transfer to the RM full time, it may be the best option for me personally as I’m facing redundancy in the next c.24 month in my civilian job.

19. Hoofin

Hoofin Commando Officer

There are options for seamless transfer into the regular Corps from the RMR, however this is dependent upon the requirements of the service and the qualifications of the individual. Most people will mobilise for a period with the regulars before transferring into the regular Corps.

Bear in mind that around 60-70% of people who start regular recruit training pass, compared to around 10-30% of reservists, and the whole training pipeline can take 18months compared to 32 weeks even without injury or being backtrooped, whilst it is certainly an option if civilian circumstances change, the pressures are different for RMR compared to the RM.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you for confirming @Hoofin

Interesting stats, I know the CSgt I spoke with at Leeds RMR explained a lot of people drop out due to how big a commitment RMR training is, however I had no idea those were the type of numbers!

Assuming I am in the 10-30% (easy for me to say at this very early stage) I had hoped to do a FTRS and gain “regular” experience, that would benefit the Corps and not just myself. Hope I am on the right tracks with this thought process.

I have it in my mind that 18 months of hell will be worth the end result, hope that doesn’t change when I actually turn up at the det!

Avante