Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RMR - Recruitment Process & Timescale

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by ap2690, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Absolute horse sh1t.

An FTRS contract only lasts a year. And again, there’s no surefire way you can seamless transfer. I would bet he’s saying that to keep his numbers on the books up.
    You certainly wont be looking at a seamless transfer after 1 FTRS deployment.

If you want to go Regulars, then do it. There’s no point flapping around in the RMR wasting time.

I fell hook line and sinker for the Reservist rhetoric and I look back and realise I wasted time and should have just got stuck in.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Interesting @ThreadpigeonsAlpha I had thought it sounded too good to be true and had read a lot of conflicting info online saying you had to restart recruit training from day 1 week 1. (Which I can fully understand as its a different intensity).

Unfortunately for me circumstances dictate that my only pathway in is going to be as a reserve.

Would you mind giving a bit of a background as to your time as a reservist and how you ended up a regular?

Avante

3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The biggest drop out is the commitment. And the lack of flexiblilty or forethought with the RMR. To the point where there’s a potential lads who can’t join due to their industry or work commitment.

RMR is for older lads with families and commitments, self employed lads who can afford the time off or lads in a decent career.
    If your a young lad, don’t fall for the “best of both worlds” rubbish. Regular employment would be a far better option.

Why gain any experience? You will gain it when your in the Corps, that’s what Recruit training is for.
    You will just end up wasting potential promotion time, or chances for decent experience.

Why put up with 18 months of crap, with a lower standard of training, when you can just go and get it cracked?
    If anyone was wanting to gain experience while in full time education before joining RMR, I would reccomend OTC, or even Army Reserves over RMR.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The official line was always return to Day 1, Week 1 of Training.
    This could change depending on who you were, what rank you were, what skillset you had, your personality, and your reports.

For example, if you were a Sgt, with a good set of years behind you, done multiple deployments, had your various Skill at Arms quals. Norway, jungle trips etc under your belt. Then yea you would be looking st seamless transfer.

If your a Marine, been in 4 years and Done 1 FTRS contract. You won’t probably won’t be.

The skillfade, and skill levels are too different. And it was deemed that you should return to CTC to get upto date training and a decent training base.

Of course, with the current state of morale and retention, there probably is scope of more transfers from RMR to Regulars.

You have to think of FTRS as being “upgraded” to join the Unit, you go through various ticks in boxes and training. When you return, you are “downgraded” back to RMR.

I joined my local reserve unit because I “wanted to gain experience” and lacked a bit of confidence at the time in my abilities.
    I ended up wasting a good few years before giving myself a slap and joining the Regulars. And wondered why I didn’t just do it in the first place.

If your only choice at the moment is RMR, then definately get stuck in. It’s better than nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the advice!

I’m 27 (28 in April) and have a decent job, well the only thing decent about it is the salary, the actual work is boring. The only reason I’m staying is because I’ve got 8 years continuous service and have been informed I will get redundancy by March 2020. If I left now I would be throwing away a house deposit.

The only solution I see (due to my age and current circumstances) is to try pass reserve training and hope to join the regulars at some point in the future, before I’m too old...

If I was younger or if I didn’t know I was getting made redundant I would seriously consider regulars, I know people don’t join the marines for the salary, but my redundancy will set me up with my first house and allow me to earn less.

Avante

• Like Like x 1
  6. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Also thank you for this advice, everything you have said makes sense.

7. Hoofin

Hoofin Commando Officer

Whilst ThreadpidgeonsAlpha has strong opinions on this, not everything he says is correct, however:

If you are in a position to do regular training and ultimately want to be a regular then regular training is the best way to go. The RMR is not in competition with the RM, and the whole reason the RMR exists is to support the RM.

That said, you are more likely to be a able to seamless transfer as a GD Marine than as a Sgt or even a Cpl for various reasons, not least this is where the main requirement is.

You can do more than a year FTRS, however I think he is talking about the mobilisation which is slightly different and currently they are for a year.

You can seamless transfer without doing FTRS or a mobilisation however there needs to be a requirement as alluded to.

There are pros and cons of both the regulars and reserves and for some people the regulars do not suit them, and for some the reserves do not suit them. ThreadpidgeonsAlpha alludes that he felt he wasted years in the RMR before cracking on and doing the RM. Some people remain RMR for their whole career and do not think they have wasted their career. Some people wish they had the flexibility that the reserves offers them. Others agree with ThreadpidgeonsAlpha and would say why don't you just get on with it.

You have to work out what is best for you. ThreadpidgeonsAlpha dismissal of "absolute horse *text deleted*" is out of date with the current demands of the RM and RMR, but it is important, as whilst at the moment seamless transfer is fairly easy, it has not always been the case, and if the projected shortfall in RMs reverses then it may become harder again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1