RMR - Subsidised Gym Membership

Alcatraz

Reaction score
I know as part of the benefits for those in recruit training or trained ranks is the "Free access to gym and sports facilities, saving you an average of £600 a year on gym membership" as per the Royal Navy website. Which I'm assuming is more aimed at the regulars/RT due to access to facilities at CTCRM.

However, for those going down the RMR route, are there options for subsidised gym memberships outside of drill nights and on exercise? I don't know what the full facilities at the local det are like but can imagine it's very limited to zero equipment.
Understandably phys can be conducted with body weight and running etc and requires little to no equipment but should you want to incorporate rowing, swimming, use of a rig and barbells in for extra phys and pure enjoyment, can you obtain subsidised/paid for memberships endorsed by the Royal Navy?

P.S I know certain gym companies offer a discount for military or NHS but it's usually 10% off an already inflated gym membership.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I know as part of the benefits for those in recruit training or trained ranks is the "Free access to gym and sports facilities, saving you an average of £600 a year on gym membership" as per the Royal Navy website. Which I'm assuming is more aimed at the regulars/RT due to access to facilities at CTCRM.

However, for those going down the RMR route, are there options for subsidised gym memberships outside of drill nights and on exercise? I don't know what the full facilities at the local det are like but can imagine it's very limited to zero equipment.
Understandably phys can be conducted with body weight and running etc and requires little to no equipment but should you want to incorporate rowing, swimming, use of a rig and barbells in for extra phys and pure enjoyment, can you obtain subsidised/paid for memberships endorsed by the Royal Navy?

P.S I know certain gym companies offer a discount for military or NHS but it's usually 10% off an already inflated gym membership.
I’d be very surprised if you can claim for gym membership through RMR before your fully trained but never know!

Have a look at this it states free gym membership but I don’t know if that means once your qualified or not.
https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/rmr-advantages-disadvantages.35600/

I’m not sure how much your gym membership is monthly when you say inflated prices?

Mines £23 a month for unlimited gym and swimming so can’t really knock that price! which is a leisure center.
But I suppose if your going to maybe a private gym? The prices would I expect be more costly.

Alcatraz

Reaction score
I’d be very surprised if you can claim for gym membership through RMR before your fully trained but never know!

Have a look at this it states free gym membership but I don’t know if that means once your qualified or not.
https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/rmr-advantages-disadvantages.35600/

I’m not sure how much your gym membership is monthly when you say inflated prices?

Mines £23 a month for unlimited gym and swimming so can’t really knock that price! which is a leisure center.
But I suppose if your going to maybe a private gym? The prices would I expect be more costly.
Thanks, yes maybe someone in the know could clarify what "free gym membership" entails and if that is only applies once you're fully trained. It seems an obvious benefit for those pursing the RMR route, given they are in RT for some time and providing more phys opportunity seems a no brainer.

My current gym membership is £80 a month due to it being a 'CrossFit' gym (excuse to charge more) however I do prefer it to mainstream gyms as they tend to have more functional equipment. There is also the freedom to move equipment about to perform more specific workouts without interruption which is a nightmare in mainstream gyms.
My gym also has a number of serving and ex military personnel so it's a much more intense and competitive environment than a lot of 'globo gyms'

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When I was an RMR nod we had free use of the gym at the Det though this was sometimes subject to the MPGS' mood whether they'd let us 'on board' or not. Most lads didn't use it as they commuted in from miles away so just used their local gyms instead. Even though I was a student in the same city I usually just used my uni's facilities unless a fellow recruit suggested meeting up for some phys. The few RMR det gyms I came across were actually surprisingly underequipped compared to most gyms - a few rowers and bikes, medicine balls and maybe some dumbbells. As far as I know the trained ranks usually used their local gyms too.

You definitely won't be allowed to use the ropes and regains as they require a PTI to be present.

I don’t imagine you'd be able to claim any cash for gym memberships, but with enough googling you can usually find a gritty strongman gym for about £15 per month in any town in the UK! No need to be in some big £50 chain gym for Joey Essex types.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
For some reason it’s not letting me quote your last comment!

£80 a month!? That’s ludacris that’s like the Gucci of gyms then but I suppose you get experienced trainers there rather than ordinary gyms where your using your own knowledge!

If you only need a gym for rowing , few weights , swimming then there must be a leisure Center near you or a normal gym which I can’t see costing anymore than £20 and knock the £80 gym on the head as I can’t understand anyone paying that amount and if you did get discounts or free membership I highly doubt that sort of gym would come under it due to the costs!

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
I think free gym membership is more classed at the gyms that are at Dets.

If you are expecting a Det to have sauna, steam room, etc the. Yes dets aren’t very well equipped but surprised by your sweeping statements that Dets aren’t very well equipped. Even the less equipped Dets have facilities that would get you through training. As mentioned earlier - access to Dets out of hours is limited, site specific and as a recruit very unlikely.

To be honest - if you feel your gym membership is over inflated - maybe worth changing gyms.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Two of my training partners have home gyms in garages. One has a commercial grade multi-function gym machine (unsure of the proper name). The other has free weights and mahoosive benches which he has built himself from shipyard scrap.

Stating the obvious here but an alternative to a gym membership is finding someone who has facilities in a garage who is looking for a training partner for weights, etc. The bloke I know with the free weights has a missus who won't let him use them unless he has someone to spot for him. :)

Obviously one doesn't want to be trapped under a bar in a remote garage with a loon. The biggest difficulty is finding someone trustworthy and sane who will help you achieve your training goals. Athletics or cycle clubs often have a handful of members who would appreciate a training partner for weights and one can check them out first.

Alcatraz

Reaction score
Two of my training partners have home gyms in garages. One has a commercial grade multi-function gym machine (unsure of the proper name). The other has free weights and mahoosive benches which he has built himself from shipyard scrap.

Stating the obvious here but an alternative to a gym membership is finding someone who has facilities in a garage who is looking for a training partner for weights, etc. The bloke I know with the free weights has a missus who won't let him use them unless he has someone to spot for him. :)

Obviously one doesn't want to be trapped under a bar in a remote garage with a loon. The biggest difficulty is finding someone trustworthy and sane who will help you achieve your training goals. Athletics or cycle clubs often have a handful of members who would appreciate a training partner for weights and one can check them out first.
Thanks very much Chelonian, good advice. Garage gyms or private functional gyms are much better suited in my opinion. There has definitely been a spike in garage gyms since lock down so I will ask about.

Alcatraz

Reaction score
I think free gym membership is more classed at the gyms that are at Dets.

If you are expecting a Det to have sauna, steam room, etc the. Yes dets aren’t very well equipped but surprised by your sweeping statements that Dets aren’t very well equipped. Even the less equipped Dets have facilities that would get you through training. As mentioned earlier - access to Dets out of hours is limited, site specific and as a recruit very unlikely.

To be honest - if you feel your gym membership is over inflated - maybe worth changing gyms.
Thanks, no I wasn't expecting any frills but I don't think a few serviced rowers, kettlebells, sandbags, dumbbells etc is much to ask for at a det in the grand scheme of things. Maybe they have this but given recruit fitness is vital, it seems an obvious expense to provide some basic tools.