Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RMR Timetables - Planning for work commitments

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Devon_Bey90, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Devon_Bey90

Devon_Bey90 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Question for anyone who may be connected with Bristol specifically, or other RMR detachments.

I am in the process of applying to join the RMR, appealing PMU at present.

My work is very seasonal and between the months of April and August I am flat out and my employer is concerned about my possible request for leave inside these months to complete recruit training. I know there are two, two-week blocks at the end of the two phases of training but I am unsure when they are likely to be... Can anyone comment on;

- when they are likely to be
    - perhaps they vary year to year and to each det.?
    - Is there more than one training slot for each phase?

I am hopeful that it will fall within the months of September through to March (first two weeks of April latest) so that it doesn't become an issue with my work. Worse case scenario my employer has to lump it, but at present this is the only negative they have pulled up with me.

Thanks in advance.

2. CarrotOrStick

CarrotOrStick Royal Marines Commando

Two week courses are run in September and May normally.

If there are unavoidable issues and you make it that far into training we can accomodate different course dates in exceptional circumstances

3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

You should be alright, RMR just wraps on itself for summer leave and nothing gets done anyway...

You should be given time to plan. Emphasis on “should”...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Devon_Bey90

Devon_Bey90 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview

Based on those dates, the May course would be difficult for me but not impossible. An alternative date would be preferential but I can plan for that (as you say) when I get to that stage.

Thanks for your help.

5. scottishninja95

scottishninja95 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Has anyone been on an ad hoc offshore job whilst trying to complete RMR? I was in 259 troop last year but med discharged and looking to get my lid some way as got a 6 month old daughter now also

6. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

The honest answer is it won’t work. There’s offshore lads that are ex regular who join RMR. But for recruit training it would be very difficult. Depending on your rota, but I highly doubt it. What’s your work/shift pattern like?

You miss 2 weekends and you’re backtrooped, it’s pretty set in its ways. Miss a set amount of drill nights and you will end up getting back trooped. Plus RMR takes up a huge amount of free time for your own personal phys.

If you were Med discharged for Regs, you might not be able to go RMR, and if you are, that’s a bit jack expecting you to pick up the slack because they couldn’t be bothered dealing with it.
    Could you reply Regulars after a set time?

7. scottishninja95

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I work as and when required anything from a few days to 4-weeks away then few weeks at home so yeah I can see where you’re coming from with commitment and being back trooped I’ve applied for the same role but onshore, hopefully get it and can get into RMR.

I got an op on my shoulder because of shoulder dislocations, nearly a year since and banging out over what I was achieving BFT wise than when I was in RT. Afco said all we need is a copy of your medical notes and medical and I could fire on with RMR given I can attend the essential training. due to my life changing within the past year with having my daughter it isn’t advantageous to go regs financially not being 800 miles away for months at a time. Even though I didn’t join up in the first place because of money (obviously)

• Seen Seen x 1
  8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

All fair points mate.

As it’s adhoc work it’s probably not ideal. But if your in a more stable job and routine back on the beach, then Definately shouldn’t be a problem.

You could always bash on with RT and accept you will be back trooped, but it’s not very good use of your or the RMR’s time. And I don’t know how many times you can be back trooped.

Definately keep us up to date on the process, and get yourself down the AFCO in the meantime and try and visit your local Det for a chat about the process/recruit training.

9. scottishninja95

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    All going well i get this job on the beach
    Yeah I don’t want to commit to RT if i know I’m *text deleted* be backtrooped. Don’t want to be wasting anyone’s time let alone mine.

I’m going into aberdeen Det when I’m home to have a chat with them see where i stand in terms of even whilst I’m home and waiting to get a job at home to go along to train with them to keep in the stride of things, whether or not I’d be aloud, but certainly going to ask the question.

Thanks for advising mate much appreciated.

Ill get this lid one day

10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

No dramas mate, keep us updated. I know a few lads up in Aberdeen det. They have a couple of recruits at various stages. So it would be good to give you a few people to chat to.

The general idea is when you apply and get through the process and pass your medical, you can attend drill nights and do phys to help prepare for a PRMC (potential Royal Marines course) once you pass that, you get into holding troop to continue training until you can start a recruit troop.

11. scottishninja95

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I certainly ill lad, oh nice I’m going in next Wednesday to chat see what the script is. But yeah medical is what I’ve been is all I need to do as i was RT April last year. But i take everything with a pinch of salt.

I passed PRMC for regs 05/12/17. I take it ill have to do another one?

That would be great if i was aloud to attend when I’m able to until my career situ is of more convenience to start RT