RMR training and selection

DaveyMcB

Reaction score
Hello everyone, great site you've got here.

I'm about to move out of home for the first time and want to find out more about the RMR; I want to serve but I have commitments back home which mean I couldn't go Regular.

I haven't approached anyone yet or done any proper research, but I'd be grateful if anyone on here could give me a little info about how long training takes (32 weeks of one evening a week and two weekends a month?) and if selection is identical to the Regular RM- do RMR candidates still do PRMC?

Any info appreciated- I'd be joining at Bristol.

Cheers!

Satch

Reaction score
Alright mate! Welcome to the site!

I'm looking to join RMR Bristol in August.

From what I understand:

Selection for the RMR is identical to the regs up to PRMC stage. Once you've attended a presentation at the unit you can attend holding troop once a week until the unit selection weekend running from Friday evening until Sunday evening (I think for Bristol these are in September and March). You do basically all of the same stuff as they do on the PRMC with a few exceptions like the high ropes stuff.

On average I think it takes about 12-18months to earn your green lid as a reservist. You have to do one evening a week and one weekend a month then at the end of each phase of training you have to do a 2 week course which you have to pass to be able to move on to the next phase of training.

I'm sure if I've got any of that wrong Ninja_Stoker (a serving careers officer) will put me right!