RMR Training During medical foundation years

hyjb

Reaction score
Main question is if anyone has completed RMR training during their foundation years as a doctor? - i'm quite late to the party and therefore trying to complete it during my final years of medical school probably isn't a good idea (im going into my 3rd year august 2020) . i was wondering if it is likely to be possible ?

Also, I'm considering applying as a medical officer cadet and whether this would impact my eligibility for RMR training.

Thanks in advance

Chelonian

Reaction score
i was wondering if it is likely to be possible ?
As you obviously know the academic demands ramp up significantly for med students after year one.
It can be done but RMR is not set up to fit in with studies and exams so it's unlikely that the RMR will cut you any slack to fit in with your other commitments.

@ThreadpigeonsAlpha or @R4Robotics might comment if they spot this.

Another option is UOTC (of whatever flavour). Regardless of scathing comments from some it meshes nicely with academic demands.

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
I have known students doctors complete RMR training, however it is not an easy feat - I would imagine.

depending on what you mean as “being late to the party” there are various options.

Being a medical officer cadet - is that being a member of a service or a university thing?

some naval doctors have completed RMR training to be able to earn the Green lid and qualify to work within 3 Cdo Brigade. There was also a RAF medic - though not sure of his motivation

hyjb

Reaction score
I have known students doctors complete RMR training, however it is not an easy feat - I would imagine.

depending on what you mean as “being late to the party” there are various options.

Being a medical officer cadet - is that being a member of a service or a university thing?

some naval doctors have completed RMR training to be able to earn the Green lid and qualify to work within 3 Cdo Brigade. There was also a RAF medic - though not sure of his motivation
So the mdical officer cadet is a navy thing https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/career.../services/surface-fleet/medical-officer-cadet

an in terms of being late to the party, i mean that everyone that ive seen on this forum completed RMR training during their first few years of med school as opposed to once they've finished and started working . as well as the medical officer cadet, applying just before i would get funded is quite late

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Ah OK I think i understand.
Like I see there have been Lt Surgeons who have completed RMR. I think they’ve done it voluntarily ie. not been paid for weekends, etc but might be wrong or case by case basis.
I don’t know what is involved as a Cadet, but if you have time to train during the week, can guarantee weekends off to attend weekends and holiday for course than I don’t see the problem. Probably best to speak to a careers advisor as you never know they might be keen for the idea

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Main question is if anyone has completed RMR training during their foundation years as a doctor? - i'm quite late to the party and therefore trying to complete it during my final years of medical school probably isn't a good idea (im going into my 3rd year august 2020) . i was wondering if it is likely to be possible ?

Also, I'm considering applying as a medical officer cadet and whether this would impact my eligibility for RMR training.

Thanks in advance
The commitment is incredibly high for RMR recruit training and it will impede in your education. It’s probably achievable but will be a hell of a commitment. And your education and future employment requires your priority. RMR generally has a problem with this, and you will only be allowed the same chances as everyone else with regards to missing training and training weekends.
I would say you would not be able to join both reserve service and the cadets. This has been a bit of a grey area and a bone of contention with both Reserves and Cadets. The cadets will have their own rules and procedures to follow references joining both. And to that end the commitment to RMR would override any commitment to Cadets, which would have a commitment itself.

You need to remember that RMR isn’t a backdoor to being a “Commando” it’s not a social club or a place to collect badges and get a pat on the back, it’s a Active Reserve Service that has its own requirements and commitments and shouldn’t be taken lightly. You could be seen as wanting to be a badge collector and not take RMR seriously, treating it like a place to play soldiers.

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Not
The commitment is incredibly high for RMR recruit training and it will impede in your education. It’s probably achievable but will be a hell of a commitment. And your education and future employment requires your priority. RMR generally has a problem with this, and you will only be allowed the same chances as everyone else with regards to missing training and training weekends.
I would say you would not be able to join both reserve service and the cadets. This has been a bit of a grey area and a bone of contention with both Reserves and Cadets. The cadets will have their own rules and procedures to follow references joining both. And to that end the commitment to RMR would override any commitment to Cadets, which would have a commitment itself.

You need to remember that RMR isn’t a backdoor to being a “Commando” it’s not a social club or a place to collect badges and get a pat on the back, it’s a Active Reserve Service that has its own requirements and commitments and shouldn’t be taken lightly. You could be seen as wanting to be a badge collector and not take RMR seriously, treating it like a place to play soldiers.
not sure I wholly agree with this. It’s a very purest opinion. RN have supported medics doing RMR training to gain commando status. Not really badge collecting when it’s helping the service.

Whilst I agree there should be words of warning over commitment - it shouldn’t scare people off - It is achievable.

but as I’ve said before - opinions are like@r53 holes. Everyone has one

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Not

not sure I wholly agree with this. It’s a very purest opinion. RN have supported medics doing RMR training to gain commando status. Not really badge collecting when it’s helping the service.

Whilst I agree there should be words of warning over commitment - it shouldn’t scare people off - It is achievable.

but as I’ve said before - opinions are like@r53 holes. Everyone has one
Nah, I agree with the RN Medics being commando trained, when required for their role and manning allows, not when someone wants it. As goes for anyone who is in a trade/billet for additional qualifications, All Arms, Para etc etc

I was meaning as someone who’s going to be doing full time medical education, RMR and wants to do University Cadet Stuff ontop. There’s no requirement or need and it will be a huge strain, without even taking into family/home life.
Plus he should take into account he will need downtime/rest for his medical education, and there will no doubt be policies in place dictating how much rest required before working a shift.

Its can be seen as someone who can’t commit to one thing and wants to Badge collect.
Might be better for him to commit his time to one or the other.