RMR training - overview from start to finish

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by posh_punter, Nov 18, 2018.

1. posh_punter

posh_punter Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    This is based on my personal experience and hopefully this will be useful for those trying to get a better understanding of what the RMR training process looks like. I'm not going to do a blow by blow account of each exercise, but this should help give an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Nov 2016 - applied via the usual route, went to intro presentation at my nearest detachment. The staff there were very helpful and better placed to answer all my questions than those at the AFCO.

Jan 2017 - started attending holding troop. This was basically just a load of phys with the other blokes on the weekly parade night. Was a great way to get to know the other lads. We pretty much did an RMFA each week (gym tests + bleep test), so by the time it came to PRMC I was very confident that I could pass all the gym tests. There were also monthly RMFAs on a Saturday at the HQ that you needed to pass before they put you on a PRMC.

March 2017 - PRMC. I'd done a lot of preparation for this and knew that I could smash the gym tests regardless. It was a tough few days, but I went into it feeling confident and didn't have any dramas. Once you complete PRMC you get a cool Gibraltar Troop t-shirt and start getting paid for attending the weekly det nights. Again, was a great bonding experience with the other blokes. I kept on attending the monthly RMFAs at the HQ because I wanted to keep tabs on my phys and also get to know the other blokes better.

March 2017 to August 2017 - PHYS.............. as more and more blokes joined holding troop, numbers started to swell and the appalling whatsapp chat started to pick up.

August- September 2017 - Foundation. Couple of weekends at the HQ learning the basics of washing yourself, how to wear all your rig, bit of drill, phys etc. This is alongside lectures at your local detachment one evening a week. We also had a weapons training weekend too.

October 2017- March 2018 - Phase 1A training. I think we had 8 or 9 field exercises in this phase. During these weekends you're learning how to live and administer yourself in the field as well as basic soldiering skills such as navigation , cam & concealment and identifying targets. Some of it is horrendous (getting dunked, so you can practice your wet and dry routine), some of it is quite good (stalks, night navs). You'll do plenty of yomping and speedmarches too. Time is at a premium during the weekends, so it's literally non stop activity from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Expect it to be awful and then any fun stuff is a bonus. At the end P1A you have a confirmation exercise that you need to pass in order to go down to Lympstone. Field weekends were approximately one per month.

April 2018 - 2 week phase 1A course down at CTC. This was pretty good and it was cool to finally get down to CTC. We were lucky with the weather, worked hard and stuck together as a team. You have the RMR version of ex. Baptist Run here, which basically tests everything you've been taught in phase 1A. Once this was done, we had a few more advanced lectures and then our first phase 1B field exercise as well as a few bottom field sessions and other bits.

May 2018 - October 2018 - Phase 1 B training. This is where it starts to get really good and you start doing the tactical stuff, with NVGs, radios and all the other good bits of kit. A typical weekend involves recces, then orders, then a troop or section attack then more recces, more orders and then more attacks, with a yomp(s) and speedmarch thrown in. On most of these exercises you get no sleep at all, as there's just not enough time and you're constantly doing things. These exercises seemed to go a lot more quickly than the P1A ones though. Towards the end, we were in the field or at CTC every other weekend, which was pretty grueling.

October 2018 - November 2018 - Commando Phase. We spent a few weekends down at CTC getting to grips with bottom field. We also did our 6 mile speed march and bottom field passout.This was followed by our final confirmation ex. before we went off to CTC for the Reserve Forces Commando Course.

November 2018 - RFCC. Horrendous two weeks. Definitely the hardest two weeks of my life, both mentally and physically. We lost 50% of our troop on this course. However, getting that lid at the end is worth it. What it says on the tin. Basically a week on Dartmoor then a week doing the commando tests. At this point, the only thing that will stop you is injury.

Hope this is useful. P1A training isn't so bad, but by the time you get to P1B it starts to significantly impinge on your personal life, due to the tiredness and the amount of phys you need to be doing in your own time.
    I basically gave up my social life and didn't drink for 6 months. Likewise, Mondays at work were a write off for me - and the rest of the time I was distracted by laminating route cards for the boys or watching videos of how to do a regain..... People also start to pick up injuries in the second part of training as you start running around with a lot more weight.

Phys: in terms of phys, you don't need to go too crazy during P1A. I tended to do a minimum of a 10k run per week, along with some sprints and then couple of bodyweight circuits and a 8-9 mile yomp most weekends. I stayed clear of running with weight as much as possible, due to the injury risk and just tried to run faster instead or up hills, to compensate for it. I picked up an injury during P1A so did a lot of leg work and injury prevention exercises to make sure it didn't happen again.

In P1B I followed the same plan as before, but upped the intensity. I also put a lot of work in on the ropes, and did at least one ropes sessions per week, with full weight and a rubber rifle at my detachment. I also upped the yomping speed and weight too and did 1-2 yomps per week. Basically at this point you have no life anyway, so you might as well just do more phys. I was training 5-6 days a week, with additional rest day after a field exercise.

A huge part of this is staying injury free, as with one troop per year, you're looking at a 12 month wait if you get backtrooped due to injury. Each bloke approached their phys in their own way. Some didn't do enough and some did too much. You've got to find that balance, as you're smashing your body for 18 months. We tried to train together as much as possible, as you end up pushing things much harder this way. I also identified my weak areas very early on and made sure I focused on them in my training.

• Like x 9
    • Hoofin x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Gucci Info x 1
    • Nailed It x 1
  2. bcfc_4life

bcfc_4life New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Sounds horrific! You must be so proud mate, well done!

3. oldy32

oldy32 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks for that mate, good insight