RMR Training

Remember Reach

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this site but knew I wanted to do something with RM for a while now.

Decided that RMR is best for me, at least for now, but was wondering about the training for it. I live in Bristol and I know there is a unit in Bristol but was just wondering if I could do my drill nights/ weekends at my local unit or if I would always have to travel to Lympstone (which is about a 2 hour trip atleast). I know that there are some blocks that you have to do at Lympstone but I just wanted to know for sure what the requirements were in this regard.

Thanks everyone.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Decided that RMR is best for me, at least for now, but was wondering about the training for it. I live in Bristol and I know there is a unit in Bristol but was just wondering if I could do my drill nights/ weekends at my local unit or if I would always have to travel to Lympstone (which is about a 2 hour trip atleast).
Welcome. RMR Bristol has detachments throughout its region. It is also responsive to contacts made by telephone or message via its Facebook page:

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this site but knew I wanted to do something with RM for a while now.

Decided that RMR is best for me, at least for now, but was wondering about the training for it. I live in Bristol and I know there is a unit in Bristol but was just wondering if I could do my drill nights/ weekends at my local unit or if I would always have to travel to Lympstone (which is about a 2 hour trip atleast). I know that there are some blocks that you have to do at Lympstone but I just wanted to know for sure what the requirements were in this regard.

Thanks everyone.
You will do drill nights at your local detachment/unit.

Your weekend training will be at a local training area. All you need to do for a training weekend is be ready to go Friday evening at your local Det/Unit. The unit should provide transport for you to get there.
You will be returned to the Unit Sunday evening.

Some weekends will long weekends and will require you to take time off work. You should be given plenty of warning for them though.
It’s about 1 weekend every fortnight.

There’s at least 1 time where you will require time off for 2 weeks worth of training the Reserve Commando Course.

Remember Reach

Reaction score
You will do drill nights at your local detachment/unit.

Your weekend training will be at a local training area. All you need to do for a training weekend is be ready to go Friday evening at your local Det/Unit. The unit should provide transport for you to get there.
You will be returned to the Unit Sunday evening.

Some weekends will long weekends and will require you to take time off work. You should be given plenty of warning for them though.
It’s about 1 weekend every fortnight.

There’s at least 1 time where you will require time off for 2 weeks worth of training the Reserve Commando Course.
Thanks, this really made everything a lot clearer! I'm 17 now but want to at least be fit enough before I even consider contacting an AFCO. Thanks again.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks, this really made everything a lot clearer! I'm 17 now but want to at least be fit enough before I even consider contacting an AFCO. Thanks again.
Just out of curiosity, if you’re a young lad, why are you considering RMR instead of Regular Marines?

Remember Reach

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, if you’re a young lad, why are you considering RMR instead of Regular Marines?
It's mainly because I've always had an interest in aircraft engineering and I didn't want my life totally controlled by the military. I'm just also really really inspired by mainly the marines and always love pushing my own potential, I just didn't want to be limited if you know what I mean. Some things I can do as a civi I know I wouldn't be able to do as well if I were full time. You never know though, if I fell its where I truly belong, I might always try out for full time aha.

Reaction score
It's mainly because I've always had an interest in aircraft engineering and I didn't want my life totally controlled by the military. I'm just also really really inspired by mainly the marines and always love pushing my own potential, I just didn't want to be limited if you know what I mean. Some things I can do as a civi I know I wouldn't be able to do as well if I were full time. You never know though, if I fell its where I truly belong, I might always try out for full time aha.

You could always do your return of service (4 years) full-time then transfer to the reserves and go and study aircraft engineering. You'd still be very young at 22/23, likely have money saved and a part-time job ready with the RMR to get you through uni.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You could always do your return of service (4 years) full-time then transfer to the reserves and go and study aircraft engineering. You'd still be very young at 22/23, likely have money saved and a part-time job ready with the RMR to get you through uni.
Yea, I would have said this is a route to consider. It’s easy to transfer sideways to RMR as a trained rank than to juggle RMR recruit training.

Chelonian

Reaction score
It's mainly because I've always had an interest in aircraft engineering and I didn't want my life totally controlled by the military.
When RT is completed and you're at a unit there will be opportunities for further education. Lads have juggled Open University with the job. Bear in mind that the training and deployment cycle won't be tailored to OU study but it is doable.

I'm not suggesting that there are specific aircraft engineering courses but a relevant foundation degree under your belt might be advantageous when on the outside and seeking engineering training opportunities.

Remember Reach

Reaction score
To all the above messages, yeah everything you guys are saying makes a lot of sense but we (me and Mum) have already made the move from Cornwall to SW Wales (I'm going to Bristol College) mainly for my course and in general its just too late to change all my plans. The course only lasts about 2 years, I don't know whether I will find a job or stay at college yet but I figured RMR right now now is the best choice. I could always try for regulars if I really enjoy RM more than being an engineer (even though I'd have to redo RT). I suppose if I was a bit more headstrong and informed before I left school I might of done regulars and then transferred but I can't really do that now.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
To all the above messages, yeah everything you guys are saying makes a lot of sense but we (me and Mum) have already made the move from Cornwall to SW Wales (I'm going to Bristol College) mainly for my course and in general its just too late to change all my plans. The course only lasts about 2 years, I don't know whether I will find a job or stay at college yet but I figured RMR right now now is the best choice. I could always try for regulars if I really enjoy RM more than being an engineer (even though I'd have to redo RT). I suppose if I was a bit more headstrong and informed before I left school I might of done regulars and then transferred but I can't really do that now.
No problem with that. Always good to consider your options and your perspective can change.
Keep us updated and get it smashed.

Remember Reach

Reaction score
Will do lads, really appreciate the feedback.

One extra question that I might as well add. I haven't really swam since I was 12 and even then I didn't really know how to swim. Do you guys have any advice or anyone that had to learn to swim before RT, what did you do? I can probably get some sort of one on one session at my local pool but I'll take all the tips I can get.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Do you guys have any advice or anyone that had to learn to swim before RT, what did you do?
Confident swimming ability should be acquired before RT.

If you enter "Swimming" into the forum search box it will return six pages of threads. Definitely worth a read.

New Threads