Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

RMR Virtus bergen experiences

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Titch, May 12, 2020.

1. Titch

Titch New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Have any of you guys been issued Virtus bergens, and if so what are your thoughts? I have never got on well with the issue one and when I briefly tried a mates one on weighted it seemed to feel a lot more ergonomic. Even if you managed to get one "issued" would it even be accepted when doing the final course?

2. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Nobody uses Virtus bergens that I've seen at unit. Pussers bergen with any customisations you fancy is the way most lads go from my experience

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Different training teams have different standards on what can and can’t be used - even down to gas cookers.

if you turn up with kit not issued by units you are just painting a target on your head and will be asking for trouble. Just be the grey man.

also, the ethos is that you are given basic kit to show you can operate with basic stuff eg the cookers. Just roll with it and go Gucci once you pass out

• Like Like x 1
  4. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

The lead designer of the virtus Bergen needs to be executed at dawn, along with the rest of the design team.

The older Bergen with a bit of modification is vastly superior, although I never did alter mine and it's served me well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just out of interest, what are the main objections to the Virus bergan?
    I've only seen pictures of it but it looks a bit 'busy' and complex.

6. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

They tried to design it all Gucci and now it’s so full of useless little tabs and pockets and straps it’s just a complete western super mare. And it doesn’t sit well with webbing on. They designed it with this load distribution spine thing which is a big plastic spine thing that attaches onto the virtus battle belt (also terrible) and sticks up toward your back. I tried it out once when I was pesting and it was complete faff and just another useless bit of kit you don’t need to carry. I’m pretty sure 99% of those spines that have been issued have never been taken out the plastic wrapping. All in all the pussers is bang on with a few additions. I added a third rocket pouch and got some minor alterations, floating top flap, water bottle pouches, back pad and wider straps. But it would do just fine with just an extra rocket pouch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Ah, I think I understand. Better to have a sound basic sac which which will sit nicely on top of belt kit.
    Back in the day one's belt kit was always being tinkered with. First addition was a second water bottle in 44-Pattern because it was aluminium.
    The popular late-1970s bergan was the Cyclops Roc which was then a civilian Berghaus product. Expensive in its day. It had a simple aluminium internal frame which could be adjusted to suit.

roc.jpg

The earliest ones were only available in peculiar colours so paint and brush were required. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  8. Former AE

Former AE Royal Marines Commando

Used the Pussers arctic bergan down south, it worked with some mods, the one issued now is better than the virtus as you can put everything in it you need.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

I picked up a virtus bergan with all the add on's and extra's inside the bergan.

It has stayed in its plastic wrapping and put under my bed, sometimes I use it as a door stop for my grot.

I 2nd what @Illustrious has said.

Whoever invented and designed that wants a good slap!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Was that similar to this beauty or completely different?

airborne_bergan 2.jpg

11. Former AE

120L , honking gonk bag at the bottom, added more padding with HBM. D7E18966-8B80-45B4-B00F-898B86EDC389.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Former AE

2AADF966-2870-45B1-A26A-B83A232F1775.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

@Former AE

Hi sorry I’m clearly hugely naive when it comes to burgers... What’s the purpose of the metal frame, is that not uncomfortable?

14. Former AE

It got it high up on your back, thus allowing more weight, it had PE, dets, link and 81mm rounds plus the normal stuff. ED0D47CE-4D9A-4DAE-8DF9-A1513D9A947A.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A more advanced design than the airborne bergan then. That worked best when perched on top of a tidy belt kit.

In a perfect world the hip belt should carry most of the weight and the shoulder straps provide stability. Sadly we live in an imperfect world.
    The metal frame helped to prevent the thing collapsing if one was required to carry, say, an 81mm mortar plate along with all the other gubbins listed above.

Back in the day, many line infantry regiments made do with the useless 58-Pattern Large Pack. -vomit-

large.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  16. Former AE

That and the poncho were about as much use as a jet boil with no gas.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

We broke quite a few of those plastic spines. They were godawful. I remember one of the lads having an argument with the civil contractor because this contractor couldn't understand why we didn't want all this gucci kit, and why we didn't want battery powered exo skeletons and all this weird stuff.

We kept flagging up obvious little problems, and obvious changes to be made, but none of it got listened to. The daysacks and the bergens are better than the ones we got on the trials though. But still some obvious problems.

Pussers Bergan all the way, modified. And you know what? Give me a set of PLCE webbing in MTP. Hands down the best bit of kit to wear, you can poke all your fancy chest rigs and belts and carriers.

18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

exterior frame rucksacks are far superior and have many advantages over "conventional" rucksacks, but they look less "Cool" so you rarely see any civil ones with external frames anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

I loved those. I have one similar, with ski attachments so you can slide a ski down each side pouch and lash it on. Brilliant bit of kit, its mega old but so much life left in it.

• Like Like x 1