RMR whilst at uni

ak256

Reaction score
Hi, I know this question has been asked a few times before but I just want to be sure.

Next year Im going to uni studying a computer science degree. I plan on joining the RMR in my first year as a recruit.

-I think I read somewhere that you're not deployable whilst in full time education, is this true?

-Do many people do this?

-Once I have finished my degree, would I be able to transfer to the regular RM's

-Im about an hour away from the liverpool rmr and the london rmr, which one would I be better off joining?

Thanks in advance guys :cool:

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I know this question has been asked a few times before but I just want to be sure.

Next year Im going to uni studying a computer science degree. I plan on joining the RMR in my first year as a recruit.

-I think I read somewhere that you're not deployable whilst in full time education, is this true?

-Do many people do this?

-Once I have finished my degree, would I be able to transfer to the regular RM's

-Im about an hour away from the liverpool rmr and the london rmr, which one would I be better off joining?

Thanks in advance guys :cool:

I'm doing exactly the same thing mate, going to study maths at uni, i'm currently at Leeds RMR, set to do my prmc in November. I'm just applying to uni at the moment, my top 2 options being Warwick and Edinburgh, which means i'll have to transfer unit(to RMR Edinburgh or RMR Birmingham) when i start uni.

I know quite a few people at my current unit also doing this.

As for being deployable, as far as i've been told, deployment in the RMR is entirely voluntary and is on a first come first serve basis(as the RM always make their numbers). However we would all be expected to go atleast once in our military careers(but not whilst at uni). Personally i want to find out if i CAN go on operations during uni, but maybe a shorter deployment *text deleted*.

I don't think it really matters which unit to be honest, they all train you to the same standard as the regulars.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally i want to find out if i CAN go on operations during uni, but maybe a shorter deployment *text deleted*.

Wouldn't that *text deleted**text deleted* up your education *text deleted*? Anyway yeah I'm doing the same thing, RMR during Uni then transferring to regulars.

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not really, i mean you have the options of going for internships for a couple of months or spending a year in industry while at uni, that sort of stuff so it might be possible to squeeze in a short deployment somewhere(maybe 3 months instead of 6).

New Threads