RMR

Phillis94

Reaction score
Me again,

just spending the evening going through my application and putting together a program that will get me up to scratch ( with the help of some of you lads on my previous post, so thank you).

But I’ve noticed some of the RMR content on the RM webpage is a little vague and I’ve got a few questions that I wondered maybe someone could answer for me.

Firstly:

length of training and the commitments you have to make

I’m based near HMS Forward, would my RMR training sessions take please here.

What does the application consist of.

thanks again

Griff149

Reaction score
Me again,

just spending the evening going through my application and putting together a program that will get me up to scratch ( with the help of some of you lads on my previous post, so thank you).

But I’ve noticed some of the RMR content on the RM webpage is a little vague and I’ve got a few questions that I wondered maybe someone could answer for me.

Firstly:

length of training and the commitments you have to make

I’m based near HMS Forward, would my RMR training sessions take please here.

What does the application consist of.

thanks again
I’m currently in a holding troop awaiting a PRMC date but can answer a couple questions.

The training takes approx 15 months subject to all going to plan. You do one weekend on and two off (Fri night to Sunday). You also attend weekly drill nights every Wednesday at your local detachment.

Not sure what you mean in reference to what the application consists of?

Blackers

Reaction score
Just to add to the above, having spoken to my local RMR Det, they advise it takes approximately 18 months training bro. RMR Recruit Training is around 20 weekends a year...but there are three leave periods, Xmas-Easter-summerwhich removes about 3, four-week periods without training weekends. This means that during the remaining 40 weeks, you can expect 20 training weekends...PLUS Two 2-week continuous training packages to complete the Reserve Forces Commando Course in Lympstone, Amphibious Drills & Confirmation Exercise/live Firings. Application is just the standard application form, nothing difficult. Just the standard navy one online. Easy

Phillis94

Reaction score
Cheers Gents, really helpful and direct information there. Application went in this afternoon and I’m looking forward to embarking on an exciting career. Just dig out blind and crack on, hopefully with no hiccups!

Blackers

Reaction score
Smash it. RMR have a brutal attrition process through initial training, we need to be able to absolutely commit for a long period of time to attending all the set training. I’m hoping to join a det once this C19 is all done. Why not make direct comms with your local unit and find out what their timeline is, but it is probably the least flexible of the reserves bar 4 PARA and SAS (R)

Reaction score
Smash it. RMR have a brutal attrition process through initial training, we need to be able to absolutely commit for a long period of time to attending all the set training. I’m hoping to join a det once this C19 is all done. Why not make direct comms with your local unit and find out what their timeline is, but it is probably the least flexible of the reserves bar 4 PARA and SAS (R)
I think 4 Para is a bit more flexible. You can be finished training in under a year (potentially waiting awhile for a jumps course thereafter though), and they usually have more than 1 annual training cadre at each location.

I'm biased because it's what I'd like to do, but I think the RMR should allow recruits to complete the regular 32 weeks. They may have to reformulate the terms of reserve service so you couldn't just leave with no notice, but an 18 months to 2 year training period alongside a full-time career is major. I think a lot (other than maybe first-year students or the self-employed, or those with extremely flexible working time arrangements) would prefer an 8 month paid 'career-break' to complete training than trying to balance the two for that length of time, particularly after experiencing trying to function in a civvy environment on a Monday after having barely slept since Thursday.

You can keep weekend on/weekend up for a bit, or more occasionally once you're a trained rank, but the RMR must lose so a lot of suitable recruits due to the hit that that has on a civvy job - not to mention safety issues if you need to be alert to operate machinery or drive anything on a Monday. Obviously people manage it though, hats off.