Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

RMs in 1961!

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Caversham, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Below is a short clip of RMs in action in 1961. Way before my time, but shows what life was like back then. I'm guessing that it was 41 Commando who were based at Bickleigh Barracks, where 42 Cdo now are. The Tarzan Course was known as the scramble course and was used for Commando Training before being moved to CTC around that time. The other barracks was the Depot at Deal. Some of the kit in use back then was good, but the majority was absolute sh!te!

Alan

• Like Like x 10
  2. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Health and safety anyone:)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A cracking video. Was that a 1912 Vickers MMG up on the moors? A bit before my time Alan. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Caversham

Definitely a Vickers. CTC used to train the NP8901, the Falklands Detachment and part of the training was on the Vickers, as the FI Defence Force had that weapon in their armoury.

Alan

5. Caversham

Just to balance things up, here's one on the Parachute Regt from 1960. @Chelonian will no doubt say it's before his time, but I'm not so sure! ;)

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    The bloke free climbing... -nailbiting--nailbiting--nailbiting-

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I confess that DH Rapide biplanes (at 0:29 in the video) were still being used for sport parachuting at Netheravon beyond the mid-1970s. :)

8. DJANGO

DJANGO Valuable Contributor

Bum clencher to be sure

9. sharpe

App Stage:
    Parent
    Brought back some very traumatic memories of a parachute jump aged 16! It was my birthday present and all great until the time, 2500 feet up I had to climb out onto the wing, look left and let go-nailbiting- thank god for static lines, 1 less thing to panic about

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service

11. sharpe

App Stage:
    Parent

I wondered where fast show got their inspiration from :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Wings Definitely well before my day. Blackburn Beverley. Twenty out of each side door and thirty out of the hole in the floor of the tail boom!

beverley.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Caversham

I've just viewed the clip in full and it brought back memories of Abingdon, where I done my BPC. The knacker cracker was the worst, as it had been used thousands of times before, the harness was shot to pieces and trying to get your nuts stowed out of harms way was nigh on impossible!

The other one was the second balloon jump, purely because you didn't know what was happening on the first, but certainly did when you went straight back up for the second one!

No Beverlys either, just the C130 and only 14 on my course!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Cracking video clip, post#1. Good find Alan.

Interesting to hear Commando training was 9 months in 1961 (obviously tougher back then :) ).

Other points of note were the free-climb :eek:, the motorbike ridden up the cliff, live rounds seemingly in close proximity to the Marines, the good old Sterling SMG, Wessex "jet" helicopters, etc.

The snow bivvy looked like they were using Mum's worn-out, threadbare sunday tablecloth rather than using the uber-cool ripstop gortex carbon-fibre, self-inflating, centrally heated, solar power, fully recylable stealth variety, used nowadays.

15. Caversham

I know several guys who done the 9 month training span. The first 16 weeks were spent at Deal doing mainly drill, initial PT and basic weapon training, before moving onto 2 weeks seamanship training at Pompey and then onto ITC, as CTC was then called, which included a week at Poole for amphibious training.

If that clip was filmed in 1961 and shows 41 Commando at Bickleigh, then I guess that commando training had already moved from there to CTC, after moving down from Anacharry when that closed. King's Squad pass out was done at RMB Eastney.

The Corps had a few small goes at artic warfare, but by all accounts the kit was appalling. Winter clothing was apparently two pairs of long johns and thicker socks! It wasn't until 1971 that 45 Cdo was designated the Mountain and Arctic Warfare unit and moved from Stonehouse to Arbroath. They used to spend 3 months each year in Norway and you had to spend three winters if you were drafted there. They also got the proper kit.

As one of my constant drips was at the time the kit we had, personal and some weapons, was atrocious. I received my first sleeping bag when I arrived at 45 from CTC! and DMS boots, just let's not go there, but suffice to say that guys were apparently taking boots off of dead Argentinian soldiers in the Falklands, because they were far superior to the DMS!

You young 'uns have never had it so good!

Alan

• Like Like x 1