RN policy on surgery

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the RN/RM policy on Surgery is?

I had day surgery on my legs a few weeks back due to reocurring and persistant shin splints (MTSS). It was a private op,funded by myself and my family so a)Im not sure if it will come up on medical docs.

b) If i come clean and tell the AFCO ,will i automatically be bared from service for 12 months, even if my surgeon can say he thinks ill be back to fitness in a couple of months?

Im trying to decide,do i tell the AFCO,which would help me as they currently think i stopped my application due to not being sure. BUT possibly jepodise the next year of my life.

Thanks

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi Sam,
I'm not going to be of much use, other than to say that i heard you are duty bound to disclose all information at your AFCO, and if they find out you have kept medical information secret from them, it can have bad consequences for you and your career in the Corps.:blink:

Apart from that, could you give a few details on what this surgery entailed? I was not aware that there was a surgical treatment for MTSS, what's it all about son?:wondering:

briggs

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure what the surgeon done mate,but it basically involved realesing the damaged tendon from the bone so that it can heal without constantly being agrivated by movement.

Ned

Reaction score
Also suffering from this condition. Been waiting for an answer on this for a while, anyone know.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For about a year mate, but choose the private option. My GP refered me for private scan,and then it was all done at my own cost.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you have entered the selection process and got as far as passing selection interview, you will have signed a Post Interview Caution in which you agreed to notify your AFCO of any changes in your circumstances with regard your suitability for service (including pending criminal convictions, medical conditions, etc).

Your surgeon, whilst able to state an opinion on your recovery, is usually unaware of the strict medical standards for entry. It is relatively common for people with shin splints to be medically discharged from service if they develop them "in service" if the recovery process is taking a long period of time.

If you join, having not disclosed a known medical condition, you can be discharged for making a fraudulent application, thus making yourself ineligible to re-apply when you are recovered.

You need to seriously consider whether you want to make an ill-judged application which may make you permanently ineligible or whether you wish to start Recruit Training fully recovered & fully fit, with a reasonable chance of completing Commando training without risk.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I dont really know what way to go at the moment.I told my AFCO i wanted to change my application to the RMR, so they stopped my regs one and told me to come back in the new year to convince them. So do i tell them then, or do i make this opperation clear to them asap.

I can just see this as being another big spanner in the works. Not only did i change my mind on my application type,but now this.