RN Sub's BBQ Party

Chelonian

Reaction score
The CO of nuclear sub HMS Trenchant has been “sent home on leave” pending an investigation after a video emerged online of a barbecue gathering at Devonport.

Whatever the actual facts about the video this extract from the BBC report is clearly troubling:

It shows sailors dancing and laughing, and a source confirmed some were drinking alcohol.:eek:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52406342

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, odds are the boat had returned from several weeks patrol, all living in the same "house", effectively.

PR-wise, regardless of justification or otherwise, not good.

Another example of the potential negativity of posting public videos on social media.

Social media can be a force for good, but if used unwisely, cause untold damage. This guy in Texas again demonstrates it can all end in tears: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52397294

Chelonian

Reaction score
Yep, odds are the boat had returned from several weeks patrol, all living in the same "house", effectively.
Yes, but that important detail rather spoils the story. :)

On a similar theme when 284 Troop's KSPO was streamed live on Facebook a few weeks back one of the public comments expressed 'outrage' that the dressing of the Troop was not compliant with the two metre social distancing rule. Completely overlooking the obvious fact that the Troop had lived together for at least thirty-two weeks. -banghead-

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score

PR-wise, regardless of justification or otherwise, not good.

Another example of the potential negativity of posting public videos on social media.

Social media can be a force for good, but if used unwisely, cause untold damage. This guy in Texas again demonstrates it can all end in tears: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52397294
What a terrible lawyer he must have had. CV is technically airborne in certain environments.

"oh and the Doctor I seen with the test, he was in a parking lot and by god I can't get back in touch with him now - do you think I have been scammed for a $99 fake test officer?

oh my, I'm so happy I don't really have CV

Any chance of getting my $99 back officer?"

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
As for the sub thing, they should have blood tested before they got off the boat. That would have been a great insight into people that would have possible antibodies that could only be explained if the virus was around before the stated start date.

It could have changed our whole thinking of the way this virus moved

Chelonian

Reaction score
I first heard this story reported on BBC Radio 4 early this morning. After attempting to avoid defamation by not naming the CO (even though his identity must be widely known within the RN) the BBC quoted an 'un-named source' as commenting that this wasn't the first time that the CO had demonstrated poor judgment.

This is a scandalous allegation to broadcast without supporting evidence. I'm attempting to squeeze the identity of the 'un-named source' out of the BBC but I don't expect they will name it.