Rock Climbing

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have recently taken up rock climbing. Started off on indoor walls but quickly got bored of this as its not exactly adventurous. Now go climbing on real rock around the country whenever I get the chance. Althought it is a summer sport I still find it fun in the winter and never take a tent as I find it more enjoyable to make a shelter and rough it.

I was just wondering if anyone else goes climbing - I find it a great temporary 'fix' of adventure whilst waiting to rejoin the Royal Marines.

ringo

Reaction score
i have just recently started climbing. Ive got a great indoor climbing center where i live.

Its good fun learning all the different things there are. Like how to B-lay and doing all the knots etc.

The place has got massive walls. Just got a new one that is about 40ft high. U can touch the roof *text deleted*. Got a bouldering wall aswell. Thats pretty cool.

Expensive though. *text deleted* start goin outside soon.

BGarcia89

Reaction score
I go 'adventuring'... this basically means that without much warning I'll pack a 50l daysack with food, rope, harness, maps, compass, etc, and just b*gger off somewhere. So far I've done the Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia, Dartmoor, the Peak District, and the Cairngorms.
Dartmoor, Cairngorms and Snowdonia I was with a few mates, but I regularly go to the Beacons and got to the peak district when I can. By far the best out of those for a bit of climbing is the Cairngorms, it's proper wilderness up there, you can yomp for about 20 - 30 miles and not see a soul.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have just been looking into the Cairngorms and I must say I like the look of it. I also enjoy taking the minium amount of kit when I go climbing, pretty much just grab my day sack and go, finding water and shelter on the way.

Its certainly a large area, can you recommend a good start point?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Been indoor rock climbing for 6 years now combined with kayaking that's where I get my muscles from. Excellent sport builds strength pretty good!

BGarcia89

Reaction score
The Cairngorms are absolutely brilliant, but depending on when you go you'll need to very the amount of kit you take and what it is. For example:

- June to September; tough clothes, light rain jacket, some decent boots and some climbing shoes will do just fine, you need to know how to trap because there aren't many plants there, pretty much just nettle, sorrel and cloudberry are about it, there is an abundance though of rabbit, hare, grouse, pigeon, pheasant and deer (which it is illegal to trap and kill without a license, so don't tell anyone) still might me a good idea to get some MREs. Theres water everywhere, but best get it straight from the source or from sphagnum moss around the bogs if you're lower down.
-October and Late Spring; Thicker clothes, thicker coat, more socks, water proof over-trousers, a stove, there's no guarantee of decent wood this time of year. More food and stuff for hot drinks, If not a tent then at least a basha so you can make sure the rain stays out. Do not go alone.
-November to Late March; You'll need the works for this, I've been there once at this time of year, It is harsh as *text deleted*, you need full cold weather/waterproof gear, winter gas stove, a way of keeping food and water from freezing, and most definately ropes, harnesses, snow shoes or even skis (if you know how
to ski) crampons and the most important thing you'll have with you is an ice axe, apart from the professional mountaineer guide you'll 100% have to book for this. It's good fun though if you can do it.

The only time you'll really be able to climb is summer, which is also the most fun time of year, because you won't be forcing yourself to battle the elements.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the advice. I think I will plan a trip for this summer.

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Anyone done Mount Tryfan? That's where I'm off tomorrow, never done it before. Then down to Coed-Y-Brenin for some biking Wednesday, should be fun.

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone done Mount Tryfan? That's where I'm off tomorrow, never done it before. Then down to Coed-Y-Brenin for some biking Wednesday, should be fun.

Yeah ive done tryfan, its great fun not too taxing a mixture of a scramble and a walk to the top as it is all exposed rock. When you get to the top don't forget to get a picture standing on the adam and eve stones (two rocks right on the summit with a sheer drop behind them) tryfan is actually where Edmund Hillarys successful everest summit team trained with all there kit. Don't think its quite as hard as Everest though.

I went with my mate to wales for about four days wild camping its a great place for it. We spent one night at the base of tryfan around the lake there on the bit of land that sticks out into the lake you can't miss it *text deleted*.

Jim

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yer i have been there, its a good place.

hope you enjoy it.

dovey1001rm

Reaction score
sounds like a good place to visit, might go there sometime with a few of my mates!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Rock Climbing Jollies Bar 10
M Rock Climbing wall Recruit Training (RT) Chat 4
O Indoor rock climbing Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 13