Role Information

rowing123

Reaction score
Just got some general questions about potentially joining in the future! Firstly, i am a female and was wondering if anyone had any advice about joining as a female? Also what is everyday life like as a marine, i.e., what is a typical daily routine like? Also, roughly how often are deployments on exercises and operations? Finally, what fitness standards should i be at before i think about applying, so for example how fast should i be running, how many press-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forum.

I am RMR so can't tell you what day to day is like in regulars, but plenty of guys here will help you with regards to that.

Re the fitness some information you may find useful.

The first physical tests you will do will be the new vPJT+ (virtual pre joining fitness test) which is a circuit done 3-4 round (depending on PTI and whether you are applying as officer it's 4 rounds).

Currently the running component is not being tested until training commences working towards ROP but it would be good to start that now - you are aiming for level 11 minimum on the bleep test (cones 20m parts performed to audio track - available on YouTube).

You will also be tested on press ups (min 40) , sit ups (min 50) and pull-ups (min 5) and swimming during the ROP.

Focusing firstly on passing the vPJFT+ and getting your foot in the door would be a good idea. The vPJFT+ consists of:

*20 burpees
* 30 sit ups
*20 press-ups
* 1 min plank

This is performed to an audio tape (link below) and is performed for the 3 rounds with no rest.

All performed to RM standard with regards to exercise form - this is very important.

Once you have passed this you will be onto the ROP. You will be given training information and programs by the PTI's once you are at this stage. But its a good idea to start early working on your fitness.

Important point - the best way to train for RM training is training specifically for the tests you will be required to take. This was the advice given to me by our PTI when I first started training.

The great thing I have found with the RM PTI's (as a PT on civvie street myself) is that they are really good at giving recruits gradual, progressive training plans which get you up to required standard with minimal chance of injury.

Crack on!

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
PS Sean Lerwill (former RM PTI) offers great programs on his site www.seanlerwill.com the Royal Marines Prep Guide to passing the vpjft+ and the ROP is very good.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just got some general questions about potentially joining in the future! Firstly, i am a female and was wondering if anyone had any advice about joining as a female? Also what is everyday life like as a marine, i.e., what is a typical daily routine like? Also, roughly how often are deployments on exercises and operations? Finally, what fitness standards should i be at before i think about applying, so for example how fast should i be running, how many press-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!
Welcome.
Firstly the day to day type stuff has been asked quite a number of times, you can use the search option to find plenty of varied information on it.

Same with the fitness standards.

Have a look through the stickies and FAQs, there should be plenty of threads to look through and get the basic information.
Being a Marine is about being the “thinking” soldier. So initiative and proactively learning, have a flick through and you should find what your looking for.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forum.

I am RMR so can't tell you what day to day is like in regulars, but plenty of guys here will help you with regards to that.

Re the fitness some information you may find useful.

The first physical tests you will do will be the new vPJT+ (virtual pre joining fitness test) which is a circuit done 3-4 round (depending on PTI and whether you are applying as officer it's 4 rounds).

Currently the running component is not being tested until training commences working towards ROP but it would be good to start that now - you are aiming for level 11 minimum on the bleep test (cones 20m parts performed to audio track - available on YouTube).

You will also be tested on press ups (min 40) , sit ups (min 50) and pull-ups (min 5) and swimming during the ROP.

Focusing firstly on passing the vPJFT+ and getting your foot in the door would be a good idea. The vPJFT+ consists of:

*20 burpees
* 30 sit ups
*20 press-ups
* 1 min plank

This is performed to an audio tape (link below) and is performed for the 3 rounds with no rest.

All performed to RM standard with regards to exercise form - this is very important.

Once you have passed this you will be onto the ROP. You will be given training information and programs by the PTI's once you are at this stage. But its a good idea to start early working on your fitness.

Important point - the best way to train for RM training is training specifically for the tests you will be required to take. This was the advice given to me by our PTI when I first started training.

The great thing I have found with the RM PTI's (as a PT on civvie street myself) is that they are really good at giving recruits gradual, progressive training plans which get you up to required standard with minimal chance of injury.

Crack on!
Decent post. Good Info.

Curql

Reaction score
With how fit you should be before applying it all depends on how soon you want to get into training and how long it’ll take you to get to the standards. The application process lengths varies for everyone, some take 6 months, some can take over a year. It all depends on how quick you through medical as typically everyone deals with an issue with Capita such as an appeal for something that has happened years ago. Also, a tip, don’t run with any weight just because you will do it in training. They build you into carrying more and more weight as it progresses and it is not worth injuring yourself for not doing it properly, whereas in RT they have facilities to rehabilitate you.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
How is your fitness currently? Have you had a chance to test your press ups/sit ups/pull ups etc

rowing123

Reaction score
How is your fitness currently? Have you had a chance to test your press ups/sit ups/pull ups etc
I’m currently a rower so it’s pretty good i think, but definitely room to improve, i did a 2 minute test for press-ups and sit-ups and got 47 press-ups and 55 sit-ups, really not sure about pull ups to be fair definitely not one of my strongest exercises

Partridge

Reaction score
I’m currently a rower so it’s pretty good i think, but definitely room to improve, i did a 2 minute test for press-ups and sit-ups and got 47 press-ups and 55 sit-ups, really not sure about pull ups to be fair definitely not one of my strongest exercises

- Press up audio

- Sit up audio

If you want to test your press ups and sit ups , I'd suggest testing them to these audios as these are how they're tested.

rowing123

Reaction score
Also, quick question about weight...the website states you must be 65kg and have a minimum BMI of 18, what if your BMI is over 18 but you are not 65kg - i am 5’6” and around 57kg, so my BMI fits but obviously weight doesn’t? Will this be a problem?

Curql

Reaction score
Also, quick question about weight...the website states you must be 65kg and have a minimum BMI of 18, what if your BMI is over 18 but you are not 65kg - i am 5’6” and around 57kg, so my BMI fits but obviously weight doesn’t? Will this be a problem?
You have to be a minimum weight of 65kg. If you struggle to put on weight just by eating mass gainers are a good shout

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score

Not bad that. Having played around abit at rowing clubs before, I'm sure you've got some strong legs and lungs on you, but make sure you're still getting the runs in. Rowing/cycling/swimming is great cardio but in prep for training its usually a good idea to get 3 runs in a week. An interval or hill sprint session, a 5k best effort and a long slower run say 5-8 miles.

Best of luck

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Maybe. Last I knew there was no weight requirement for females.

The weight requirement is sort of essential because it’s backed by studies of the physiological impact of carrying weight and the connection with lower limb and pelvic injuries from the rigours of recruit training and the infantry role.
Some recruits under a set weight would be given protein shakes during training to stop weight loss.

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Decent starting point, definitely have a look at Sean Lerwill's ebook that will get you where you need to be.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Let me add my two cents as well:
I obviously don’t know have much you run as a rower but if running is something you are not accustomed to, you might want to use these exercises to build up strength in your knees and calves to support the impact of landing:

Also, with females in general it’s quite often to have “valgus knees” during landing and as far as I can tell from seeing videos of recruit training there is a fair bit of landing involved from jumping down heights. Therefore, I would recommend recording yourself in slow motion when you do a “drop landing”, either single or double legged and have a look at what your knees and hips doing. If the knees are falling inwards towards your centre line (valgus), that’s cause for a concern. Also the hips should be levelled.

Google Fifa 11+ warm up to see a great warm up programme designed to fix these issues. I attached a poster.

Have a PT or sports physio assess you and work on strengthening the glutes and core. Speaking of these two, make sure you do a lot of core and glute work as they will massively be involved when carrying loads. Apart from practising sit ups for the VPJFT, do planks, side planks, reverse planks, clam exercises, banded walks, leg raises, bird dogs, hollow holds... etc.

If you need to put on weight learn the basic compound lifts if you don’t do them (squats, split squats, deadlifts, presses and pulls), and do them. Having a good foundational strength will pay off.

Attachments

• english.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 6