Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Role of Different Ranks on Operations

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Harry McRunFast, Feb 6, 2020.

1. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    from a parents perspective the amount of opportunities to take responsibility and leadership that are given during rt are massive. They actively want everyone to taste what could be ahead. I find it incredible that not only are these kids having to get their own s### in order but then nav their lads to the objective and then lead the attack etc. I think out of 24 at least half have been either ic or 2ic at some stage on the various exercises

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando

Haha yes I should reiterate, that was certainly aimed at the REMF branches. As you've said there, infantry units does seem to be a different ball game. Rank earnt not given etc

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Certain trades in the Army just give them away. I honestly think some just open their box of cereal and find a L/Cpl rank slide in there.

I know certain R.Sigs roles finish phase 2 training, literally march off the square at their pass off and immediately be presented with L/Cpl slides! As do RMP. Meanwhile promotion in the Infantry is an indication of your capabilities and your ability to command and lead others.

The command/lead element is assessed on the potential JNCO cadre. Privates are not loaded onto it until their commanders are happy that they know their trade, and have demonstrated the potential to be a leader.

Do you guys do junior & senior Brecon these days out of interest or do you still run an equivalent cadre for your NCO cadres?

PS. Joking aside- the most impressive JNCO’s I’ve ever worked with on ops were Royal Marines. Fact.

4. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    You guys have done a brilliant job on explaining this. I feel very informed, and I’m very grateful.

However, I'm still completely lost with respect to the acronyms... soooo many acronyms :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    You whipper snappers talk text speak so don’t moan about a few acronyms :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando

We run our own Junior and Senior command courses at CTC. From what I know and have heard, they're pretty tough. I imagine similar to an infantrymans brecon but with Royals own spin on it

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Text talk is banned here, sir! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My favourite three-letter-acronym is TLA. :)

The posts above give a good insight into Lance Corporal which for many will be the first step up the ladder.

Some might cynically dismiss LCpl as a 'dogsbody' appointment and perhaps in some units it is. But like most things you make the most of what you've got and maximise opportunities.

Aside from the command and leadership element expect a cascade of admin stuff from SNCOs downwards. This isn't neccessarily a bad thing. A capable pair of hands will be exposed to admin beyond their pay grade and will get a good working knowledge of how a unit actually functions. It's also an opportunity to get oneself known (hopefully for the right reasons) by seniors who would otherwise only have a vague idea of one's existence.

I'm not suggesting 'brown-nosing'; merely that getting a wider reputation for being a 'switched on' junior rank won't harm career aspirations.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

STFU

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Welshy

Welshy Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

Oh no the knife hands are coming out

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

Back in the early Seventies the Three Badge Marine was even then slowly disappearing. The term "Three Badger" meant that the bloke had served for at least 12 years as a Marine. Every four years you would get a good conduct stripe to add to the left hand cuff of your blues if you kept a clean sheet (up to a maximum of three were allowed, NCO's don't wear them). In this day and age the Three Badger is an anacrosnym because most blokes only stay in for nine years or less. Back in the past you joined for 22 years and in them days quite a lot of blokes were quite happy to stay as a Marine as they got all the perks of seeing the world n life without the hassle of command.
    In many cases a section of eight blokes in a Commando Unit would have a Cpl in charge with a Three Badger as the sect 2 i/c. He would have the ear of the Cpl and the higher ups including the Officer in overall command of the troop. The knowledge gained from his experience's would be a major asset to the troop as well.

But as I said these days they are nearly extinct due to the changing face of the Corp and what it now does. Remember that a hell of a lot of guys spent nearly all their service careers onboard ship where they loved the way of life and promotion would have meant them leaving the ship in many cases so they were quite happy to see out their time as Marines.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1