ROP date approaching - ITBs set in!

TimeAfterTime

Reaction score
After years of battling with a transfer from one service to the RM the date is finally near!

Passed PRMC September19 and was due to head down to CTC to start RT in March19. COVID hit and soon put Transfers within the military on hold so that was the end of my start date in March19.

Transfers opened up again however as a year had passed since last September my PRMC was out of date and was given an ROP date in November.

Training all going well building up to ROP! Start of September on a slow 8mi run around 10/11 minutes into the run my left knee was in agony (lateral knee pain, only when running) I stopped straight away and called it a day I thought maybe it was just a twinge or a niggle. Gave it 3-4 days of rest from running just some cycling and some S&C work then tried a run again. Same again 11mins into the run exact same knee pain. Got booked in with the physios at my unit and was diagnosed with ITBs and started a rehab program including, strengthening exercises, stretches and myofascial release.

I have been Carrying out the rehab program for around 4 weeks now and my knee feels worse than what it was at the start, pain is now there when walking and occasional when I’m resting/doing nothing.

Do I defer my start date and wait till I am fully recovered or do I get as fit as I can grizz it out and pray that it’s going to hold out during ROP and then deal with the issue whilst at CTC?

I don’t know what CTC policy would be regarding this matter or if the Med Centre on my unit and the RRU would be able to pass my information on to the Med Centre at CTC and carry on with the Rehab full time whilst down there. I’m guessing it is a big ask but the only reason I ask is if I return back to my unit I will have to work as normal and will have to carry on the Rehab in my own time as I will still have to carry out my current role in my trade.

Hopefully a member on this forum can help me out, or maybe one of the Serving Royals that use this might be able to shed some light on the matter. I’ve never felt so frustrated this has taken long enough to get where I am now and just want to crack on and get into RT.

Thanks, apologies for the length of the message.

physiomum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @TimeAfterTime
I’m really sorry to read about your incredibly frustrating situation. I think you need another physio assessment to be sure of the diagnosis. I’m surprised that you are worse by following the rehab programme. Have you given it a decent period of active rest? I really don’t think you should start ROP with these symptoms.
I’m not in a position to advise you on CTC policy sorry.
I real feel for you, if you were my son I’d be gnashing my teeth with frustration but I wish you all the best for a swift recovery and successful journey to your green beret.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
My advice would be to defer. You won't get through trying to griz it out and I'm not sure what the policy is for an in service transfer, but I do know that if a recruit turns up with a pre-existing injury then he's out the gate.

Hopefully one of the CAs will pitch up and give you some accurate advice, but don't risk trying to get through until you've recovered. Remember ROP is essentially a job interview.

Alan

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@TimeAfterTime 100% defer, do not go to CTC with diagnosed ITB, or any issue, you will not be placed into rehab from the start you will be made NFA med from the off, as a transfer this will also be viewed dimly as you would be expected to know better, there is no way you will wing it and the med team will not even let you try as any risk of permanently damaging your knee is present, if your unit knows, CTC will know!! This is the only option that you can follow, I cannot stress this strongly enough - defer!! Drop me a pm and I can clarify further if you want.

TimeAfterTime

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input and information! I have taken it all on board and will defer my transfer until I am recovered and fully fit!

5 years it has taken to get to this point after 18 months of Basic Training+Phase2 Technical Training combined, 18 months return of service, deployments COVID and now this it’s incredibly frustrating.