Rope climbing

ojs

Reaction score
Hi there
Does anyone know the diameter of rope they use at CTC for the rope climb. I would like to get one so I can get some training in before I go down. Also has anyone got a link they could send for the correct technique used at CTC.
Thanks

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Don't worry about trying to learn before you get there. You will be taught the correct way to climb a rope by the PTIs, which will eventually see you climbing a 30ft rope whilst carrying around 30lb of equipment.

Alan

ojs

Reaction score
Hi Alan
Thanks for that. Just thought I could get as prepared as possible before I go having never really climbed ropes before. I would imagine you will get plenty of training tips to help shimmy up the rope. Thanks again.

Geespt

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah don’t bother until you get to Lympstone the PTI’s there will show you correctly and you’ll get plenty of rope time!

Also the ropes you use in the gym up until week 9 of training are thinner than the ones you’ll use on bottom field and you’ll also go from using trainers in the gym to climbing in boots outside and of course theres the weather! You’ll more than likely be climbing with wet and dry ropes!

Just wait until you get to Lympstone where the fun begins :D;)

GazMMM

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi there
Does anyone know the diameter of rope they use at CTC for the rope climb. I would like to get one so I can get some training in before I go down. Also has anyone got a link they could send for the correct technique used at CTC.
Thanks
Like the lads have told you already....wait. Work on your phys generally everyday. The PTI’s will teach you the correct method to climb a rope. When I worked in the Corps col office running PRMC and POC we’d go through the wannabe’s files and get an idea who’d pass and fail from they’re backgrounds. Forget the phys that’s specific to the job, you’ll be moulded by the DS to be a machine .

ojs

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your reply’s! All makes sense think I will just stick to spending my time on the phys .

Faugery

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My Nod didn't know how to climb ropes and is a big lad. On the first day he couldn't even make it up half way, the only one in his troop. He was doing it the way the PTI told them using his legs and had so much rope burn it was horrid. However, he has it in the bag now and the others who were beating him have had tendonitis where they used their arms instead of their legs....

GazMMM

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Not many lads are rope biffs. But each troop has one bloke that struggles. The PTI’s teach hundreds of recruits to shift up the ropes correctly. The one nod that struggles needs to have a word with himself.

Reaction score
As mentioned above, don’t worry about getting a rope to practice with. You will soon be shown the proper technique and get plenty of practice with the ropes.
Do practice hanging knees to chest and toes to bar exercises using a pull ups bar though - the technique is very similar and you’ll need a strong core to get to the top of the rope, especially in full rig. Your arms will not get you there alone.
Extra core work will also come in handy for when you find yourself over the regain tank

PotentialBootneck

Reaction score
Don't worry about trying to learn before you get there. You will be taught the correct way to climb a rope by the PTIs, which will eventually see you climbing a 30ft rope whilst carrying around 30lb of equipment.

Alan
How high are the ropes in the gym? Are they also 30ft? Or are the higher/lower?

Pogorabbit

Reaction score
Our son insisted he needed to practice rope climbing so for a few months we had a tug of war type rope (from B & Q) hanging from a bar between ours and the neighbours roofs. He still struggled when he started training, wait till you get there and learn the correct technique !

Faugery

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My Nod didn't know how to climb ropes and is a big lad. On the first day he couldn't even make it up half way, the only one in his troop. He was doing it the way the PTI told them using his legs and had so much rope burn it was horrid. However, he has it in the bag now and the others who were beating him have had tendonitis where they used their arms instead of their legs....
Week 6 and he has been commended for his technique/speed on the rope, so in just a few weeks he has changed from useless to nailed it!