Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Rowing machine experience

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Mattys, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Have never used one before but seen a lot of info it’s one of if not the best form of cardio?

What’s the situation with starting out on one?

I’m losing weight *text deleted* so I use the treadmill/bicycle/stair stepper to not cause to much stress/high impact for the time bein until I shed a few stone as I’m around 16 stone but only 5 foot 8 not fat just to much timber.

Is the rower a good thing to use if I’m carrying this much weight I know I’m sitting on my ar.se but just thinking of my back if it’ll effect me in that way?

Cheers

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

@Illustrious is your man for all rowing queries. Hopefully he'll be along shortly to put you right.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  3. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

You called?

I'm a big fan of indoor rowing (see what I did there?)

Given that it uses about 82% of your muscles, you'll be stripping off weight in no time.

Word of advice for you is to set the drag factor low (think around 110-115) as you'll be wanting to do longer distance stuff to burn the calories off.

Build yourself up slowly, as you may find yourself burning yourself out before you even get started.

I've included an example for you below.

Mon 3 min row, 3 min rest x4 (4x3' r/3:00)

Tue 3x4' r/3:00

Wed 2x5' r/3:00

Thu 3x4' r/3:00

Fri 5x3' r/3:00

----

Mon 4x4' r/3:00

Tue 3x5' r/3:00

Wed 3x6' r/3:00

Thu 2x8' r/3:00

Fri 4x5' r/3:00

Etc etc.

They may be easy at first but it's all about being consistent and building your technique.

Have a look at the concept2 website for a tutorial video.

And finally, don't even consider HIIT training on the rower until you've got a good base or your back will never forgive you as you'll invariably pull too hard and do yourself in. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info or throw it up here for the world to see.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Is it best to start off the workout on the rower as the first thing or finish on it?
    Just trying to see what benefits it the most by either starting fresh or finishing on it after doing other exercises such as bike/treadmill.

Thanks for the details response much appreciated I’ll start off doing this program Monday and see how it goes!

5. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Illustrious workout plan is a great example.

Regarding you saying to use the rower at the start or finish of your workout, I like to use the rower to end my phys sesh.

The 2 sessions I do is 2k best effort, or 20secs sprint, 10secs slow x8.

Just a little few minute finishers I use after a circuit or treadmill session.

Go with Illustrious plan while you are initially losing the weight to ease the workload on your knees and ankles etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Illustrious

As youre just starting out, the rower need only be your main workout buddy. You dont want to start tired on the rower or youll increase risk of injury and if youve done a proper full session, you wont be able to do anything else for a few hours.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for that input much appreciated!

8. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’ll start off on the rower as a workout and do the plan you have provided any other workouts that can be of benefit with doing the rowing as a side exercise?

9. Illustrious

I can't help with that as my personal rowing sessions write me off for the morning, without adding in anything.

I will add, if you're finding the starting point too low, let me know and I'll put together something a bit more strenuous for you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ty appreciate it!

I’ll let you know how I get on