Rowing machine interval training

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For anybody that uses a rowing machine or wants to use one, heres a programme ive been doing... doesnt look much but its pretty good!

3 times a week... i.e monday, wednesday and friday

monday
150m x 4 x 2 (4 lots of 150m with a 2min break inbetween, then rest 5mins and repeat the set)

wednesday
200m x 3 x 2
same rest periods

friday
250m x 3 x 2
same rest again

set the rowing machine to level 10 and aim to do them at speeds of 50m every 10secs max. monday, under 30 seconds each rep etc.

i started it as i had slight shin splints. Its interval training, whole body muscle endurance and no pressure on the shins

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For anybody that uses a rowing machine or wants to use one, heres a programme ive been doing... doesnt look much but its pretty good!

3 times a week... i.e monday, wednesday and friday

monday
150m x 4 x 2 (4 lots of 150m with a 2min break inbetween, then rest 5mins and repeat the set)

wednesday
200m x 3 x 2
same rest periods

friday
250m x 3 x 2
same rest again

set the rowing machine to level 10 and aim to do them at speeds of 50m every 10secs max. monday, under 30 seconds each rep etc.

i started it as i had slight shin splints. Its interval training, whole body muscle endurance and no pressure on the shins

I seen a Royal Marines row 2000meters in 6.39 can you do that? Was some charity event at RMR London, I done it in 7.16

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I seen a Royal Marines row 2000meters in 6.39 can you do that? Was some charity event at RMR London, I done it in 7.16

My last 2k was about 7 months ago, did 6.52

I'd advise for interval training doing at least a distance of 500 metres x 4, and I personally wouldn't set resistance at 10, as it leads to inconsistency, put it at 5, and whack out 4 500 metres at a time of 1.42 maximum time.

Just my personal opinion, but I've been rowing for 7 years, so I know it works!

k mac

Reaction score
Somebody told me the GB rowing team when using those concept 2 rower type things always set at 5! They are a killer those bloody things! Anybody else ever slipped of with sweat? :unsure:

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
not tried that but il give it a go!

rowing 500m is a different kind of interval training, do them both and you cant go wrong

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
not tried that but il give it a go!

rowing 500m is a different kind of interval training, do them both and you cant go wrong

Yeh fair play, but in 500 metres is considered a sprint really, admittedly not a full tilt thing, but almost. For longer distance intervals try 1k's with a slightly longer rest. Between 500metre pieces, try and keep the rest around 40 seconds.

And I haven't slipped off because of sweat, but I have blacked out.

New Threads