Rowing times?

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Alrite lads we always see running times on here so was just wondering if anyone does abit of rowing asswell and what times your getting.
500 Meter Pb - 1min 31 seconds.
1000meter pb - Not sure never do 1000 best effort.
2000meter Pb - 7min 3 seconds
5000meter Pb - ( today ) 18min 54 seconds..

Turns out the 5000meter time would be ranked 149th in the world on the concept 2 indoor rowing rankings! Haha crazy!

Take a look at the link and compare your times :)

http://log.concept2.com/get_wrankings.asp?gotopage=4

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alrite lads we always see running times on here so was just wondering if anyone does abit of rowing asswell and what times your getting.

Turns out the 5000meter time would be ranked 149th in the world on the concept 2 indoor rowing rankings! Haha crazy!

Jesus your times are phenomenal! I personally have done any rowing in a while, I think i remember doing 500m in about 3-4minutes or something so you are a beast ha ha

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
500m - 1:26.4

1000m - 3:07

don't do any other distances

Helps being 6"4 :)

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Dammnnn you alfa!! I can't break the 1.30 mark for 500meter!! haha its really annoying me, and im so close!!

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dammnnn you alfa!! I can't break the 1.30 mark for 500meter!! haha its really annoying me, and im so close!!
Haha, my mate runs a crossfit circuit training which I go to twice a week and rowing is part of some of the circuits,

amongst the group if you can do 500m sub 1:30 your in the
'Big Boys Rowers Club' and a place on the wall, there are only 3 in that club out of the 30 that attend.

500m row is a man-test to be fair, I was in serious trouble after the 1:26 time, dizzy, couldn't breathe, taste of blood/metal in my mouth and wasn't right for a day or 2

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Haha, my mate runs a crossfit circuit training which I go to twice a week and rowing is part of some of the circuits,

amongst the group if you can do 500m sub 1:30 your in the
'Big Boys Rowers Club' and a place on the wall, there are only 3 in that club out of the 30 that attend.

500m row is a man-test to be fair, I was in serious trouble after the 1:26 time, dizzy, couldn't breathe, taste of blood/metal in my mouth and wasn't right for a day or 2
If i do 500meter intervals thats all i do! 5 x 500meter intervals then i go sauna and go home ha ha!

jungle-man

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good times, lads! I've been trying for ages to get a sub 7 minute 2k. My best is 7.05.

500m - 1.33
4000m - 14.52
5000m - 18.45ish

I like to include 300/500m rows in my circuits, with maybe a 1000m best effort tagged on the end. If it's done with maximum effort it adds a whole new dimension of intensity.

CrossFit often include rowing in their circuits, but, in my view, they don't attack them with the right intensity. They're aiming for a low time overall, and so it's not in their interest to burn themselves out on the rowing. For example, in their 'Fight Gone Bad' workout, you spend a minute at each of 5 stations, moving between them with no rest. One of them is rowing for a minute, each calorie counting for a rep. CrossFitters freely admit that they don't try that hard on the rower, as going flat out will only burn them out and won't even equate to that many more reps. So they amble through the rowing at a 1.55 minute split or whatever in order to conserve energy for the other stations. For me, that just misses the point of the rower! A minute of rowing should be done at flat out intensity in order to push the CV system to its absolute limit.

10 x 250m intervals with 1 minute rest is a killer! In the 'rest' I sometimes do 10 burpees or 5 pull ups.

There's also the O'Neill fitness test, which is a top way of tracking progress. You set the timer to 4 minutes and row as far as you can. http://concept2.co.uk/training/oneill_test
The link gives the distances which are covered according to fitness level. To even be considered 'above average', you need to hold a 1.43 split for the full 4 minutes. Brutal.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds daft but would you lads recommend rowing as an aid to fitness then, or do you do it more as a serious 'active' hobby?

My biology teacher reckons rowers have the best lung capacity in the sports world but, being an ex-rower himself, said it never helped his run times. Have you seen any difference in running/swimming/general fitness?

Cheers

JT-96

Reaction score

Hate to break it to you mate but you're a long way off 149th in the world! A 15 year old at my club can nearly break 18 minutes for 5k. Then again he is 6"5

JT-96

Reaction score
Sounds daft but would you lads recommend rowing as an aid to fitness then, or do you do it more as a serious 'active' hobby?

My biology teacher reckons rowers have the best lung capacity in the sports world but, being an ex-rower himself, said it never helped his run times. Have you seen any difference in running/swimming/general fitness?

Cheers
I row at school and interestingly during this year's inter-school 6k race those who had been rowing had improved much more than those who had been running. I think that one real bonus of rowing is that it's low impact so you can do alot without injuring yourself (assuming decent technique). Also it's just alot more unpleasant than running so when you get outside and go for a run it won't seem nearly as bad as before!

byrney

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
2000m - 6.44

Aiming for sub-6.40 in my test next week, and sub-6.30 by the end of 2012.

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Cheers
I think as far as endurance is concerned yes definetly improves your overall fitness. The feeling after Going 'all out' on a 500m row does not compare to anything I've done before and it is a real lung burner and you can't do a lot after as your in such a mess, legs burning, shoulders burning, coughing your lungs up and the lovely taste of blood/metal in your mouth. Have never felt like that after a run ( but maybe I'm not running hard enough don't know)

Baron

Reaction score

Cheers
Rowing for me is the best tool (away from running) to improve running. It's an absolute hang out when done properly, and requires work from your core, legs and back.

HIT Rowing will improve fitness levels fast.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
TAAABBAAATTAAAA.

Great stuff.
Great workout but not the feeling you get after you finish :sick: Yeah i found rowing helped me fitness massively, Increased my lung capacity by a fair amount. And muscular endurance wise rowing is really good for your core/arms/legs/back so it helps with pressups. I love rowing! Been meaning to join my local club, rowing on water is another ball game so i've been told.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
2000m - 6.44

Aiming for sub-6.40 in my test next week, and sub-6.30 by the end of 2012.
Thats incredible mate! Hoofin effort, i'm aiming to get around 6.30 mark before i start RT.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Been in the gym tonight and had go at 500m, time was 1.41, did a few intervals and it burns *text deleted**. I was going for gold on the 3rd interval estimated time was 1.29 100m to go and as i pushed back i slipped of the seat and landed on my ass on the floor, i looked a little silly. Never realy done rowing, but looks like i'll be doing more while I'm off my feet resting the shins.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Perfect when your resting your shins mate! And it works the muscles in your lower legs.