Rowing

john lewis

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Alright lads haven't posted in a long time various reasons mainly my medical but have just applied for paras and was wondering what a decent time for 10x500m with 1 min rest would be ? Sorry if it's already on forum and I've missed it which I'm sure it will be

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Would depend entirely on your weight / height. I row a fair bit but genetics have not been kind to me and I do it as a lightweight (74kg) but that said, I still crack a 1:30 for a 500m split.

Build yourself into it.

For example, for your first time, aim for 1:50/500m for 9 of the pieces then your last should be maximum effort. The next yime you repeat the session, row at whatever your overall average was the previous time.

Illustrious

Reaction score
If you want to start rowing properly, I'll fire my rowing programme qcross to you to get stuck into. You won't find it enjoyable at time but yku will make significant gains, I can promise you.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to start rowing properly, I'll fire my rowing programme qcross to you to get stuck into. You won't find it enjoyable at time but yku will make significant gains, I can promise you.
Mind if i take a look at the programme too?

Karma2012

Reaction score
If you're over 75kg then aim to keep it under 1:45/500m, as it's an intense erg session, so you want to make sure your hitting it hard and then the last 4 sets is a mental game. I'm a lightweight woman (56kg) and I would be aiming for 1:49 splits. In the last 2 sets you want to be in a really dark place. Then each session try bring the average down a bit, as ultimately you'll want to get it to the 1:30s or quicker.

Just make sure you are using good form and using the legs, and use the arms for as little of the stroke as possible (you need to feel like you can suspend off the footplate).

Illustrious

Reaction score
@Bellionaire679 For your pleasure. For anyone who chooses to follow it, remove the Bergen phys as you do not need to be practicing running a 12 minute mile with 50lbs. You WILL ruin yourselves without the necessary build up. For the drag factor, find a setting that you are comfortable with, mine is relatively low as I find it most comfortable there, you will generally find if you are a bit of a power house, you'll do better with a higher drag factor as you'll be able to translate that power into a stronger stroke.
PhyProgramme.png

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It is possible to become a little bit obsessed with the data analysis metrics offered by Wattbike. :(

True, I usually just focus on staying at a certain wattage over a period of time. Or just go balls to the wall to see how high I can get it

Chelonian

Reaction score
True, I usually just focus on staying at a certain wattage over a period of time.

If the gym has the facility for clients to clip-in to SPD pedals on their Wattbikes andif you use them a lot it's worth considering wearing SPD shoes. Nothing expensive needed; Sports Direct sell shoes that will do fine on a Wattbike. Adds consistency and definitely helps belting out the watts.

New Threads