rowing.

M

MTW

just invested in a rowing machine so i can lay off the running before starting RT due to shin splints and all that stuff....does any one have any GOOD hard rowing routines?, or links to any on the net....no nancy boy civvy work outs please. thanks yaw...

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
why dont you just warm up plenty before running, *text deleted* been advised that a good cycle machine work out is good to prevent the shin splints, maybe 15 mins of a steady pace.

Surely it would be better to get miles out on your legs rather than shock your body when you get to RT?

But if you want a rowing work out, i do 3 sets of 10 mins in the morning.

First set 28 - 30spm at full resistance

Second set 35 - 38spm - again at full resistance

Last set 28 - 30spm - and yes at full resistance.

But to be fair you cant beat good running

M

MTW

cheers for the tips, but you can beat good running when recovering from shin splints, i got told by one of the corprals to do rowwing as its the best form of cv exercise apparently, he did it when he did his ankle in and didnt run at all for a few months just did rowing and cycling and lost no fitness, id rather do that than risk an injury coming up before RT tb, and ive heard you dont do a huge amount of running for the first few weeks anyway, just gym work. but i have also read from a semi pro rower that doing full resistance with no rowing experience can wreck your lowwer back, so i think ill stick to medium resistance *text deleted*.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Just follow that rowing ragime.

It will get easy eventually so just up the pace.

Id advise Spinning classes too, you may think its full of fat over weight women.....but youd be wrong. 45 mins knocks the *text deleted**text deleted* out of me, and im lucky with good CV.

M

MTW

*text deleted* spinning class does make you think of fat women and yuppies! but ill give it a go i reckon *text deleted*.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
*text deleted* spinning class does make you think of fat women and yuppies! but ill give it a go i reckon *text deleted*.

It may be different to ones i go too, but the ones i go to are insane....first time i went i could barely walk after. Good work out though

Babybell

Reaction score
For my CV on a rowing machine I was doing

5 mins warm up

then an explosive workout of 5x 150m as quick as possiable with a 30 second rest between each 150m. (Think I had it set to resistantce 8)

Iles

Reaction score
I find the rower really good for my interval training, i've got shin splints as well *text deleted*, I do 45 seconds balls out then 1 min steady rowing. Repeat until stars appear and you have an uncontrollable urge to vomit. You don't have to push it that far but it seems that's how I always end up feeling.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
MTW: what machine'd you get mate? i'm on the market for one *text deleted*, but about to move and the new place isnt exactly massive so need one that compacts away (already got a cross trainer and weights bench, ditching the bench for a rowing machine)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ah Rowing MACHINE.

Doh, there's me thinking this thread was about having an argument. Erm, carry on, gents.

Ahem, cough, cough...

Hoppy99

Royal Marines Commando Officer
Reaction score
If you want a quality rowing machine then concept 2 are the ones to get.

Don't know if they fold up though!!

I find rowing really kills every muscle in the body and feels great after!

I do a little before every sesh but on sundays i do 10 km in 39:39.78 on resistance 10 which is mega tough but great for endurance!!

Anyway good luck in RT and i hope your shin splints go away quickly!!

:bud:

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
cheers hoppy, and ninja stoker.... shame on you! *text deleted*

New Threads